Disengagement Attack

I really like the Attack of Opportunity mechanic in the game, it requires you to do a little thinking ahead. However, I think Disengagement attacks should not be possible while spellcasting. I notice it a lot when I try to get out of an AoE an enemy spellcaster is casting while I'm engaged in combat with him. If I withdraw my melee fighters out of the AoE the spellcaster gets AoOs on them while casting his spell. Seems to me his hands should be busy....

• Like 2

I really like the Attack of Opportunity mechanic in the game, it requires you to do a little thinking ahead. However, I think Disengagement attacks should not be possible while spellcasting. I notice it a lot when I try to get out of an AoE an enemy spellcaster is casting while I'm engaged in combat with him. If I withdraw my melee fighters out of the AoE the spellcaster gets AoOs on them while casting his spell. Seems to me his hands should be busy....

Agreed completely - disengagement is a great mechanic but needs to be more conditional (i.e. not whilst you're busy!) and a little more obvious (we could also use some more disengagement move options - 1/encounter-type stuff for most classes).

• Like 1

Cool idea.

Well, Disengagement takes some getting used to , but you can 'block' enemy disengagement attacks with almost every class, either through ridiculous Deflection amounts on Shield using Fighters, or escape abilities on most of the other classes, or just tying up an enemy by attacking with somebody else while you run somebody away.

From a gameplay standpoint, they have to allow enemy NPCs to get hits in if you just turn your back and run, otherwise the game would be even easier.  I do agree with you, Keyser, from a purely logical view.

Moral of the story: Don't run unless they are knocked down, or target better with your AoE, or buff your Fighter so he takes way less damage from that AoE.  Eventually your fighter is going to laugh off most attacks anyway.