HOWto run SoT on a MacBook without a right mouse button

aratuk

Question

I ran into a small but bedeviling issue running the Stick of Truth on a MacBook with Parallels running WIndows 7. It works fine until the point where Cartman teaches the player to fart, which requires clicking the right mouse button while holding down the left mouse button. This isn't possible with the usual ways of emulating a right button press with an Apple trackpad (i.e., two-finger clicking or Ctrl+click).

Because the keybindings can't currently be remapped in the game, your options are to use an external mouse, or if you don't have one, remap some unused key on the OS level to serve as the right mouse button (RMB). The go-to method for doing this on Windows is a application called AutoHotKey, which works fine with Parallels but not with the Stick of Truth. The Stick of Truth apparently accepts keyboard input at a lower level than that at which AutoHotKey operates. Hmm.

Both Windows and OSX have built-in accessibility options for the disabled allowing you to emulate the mouse with the number pad, but because the number pad in turn has to be emulated on a laptop keyboard, I wasn't able to find a good way to get this to work within the game.

The remapping application I found that works is an open source one called KeyRemap4MacBook. It's very straightforward. To remap the right option key as right click, just start the application, scroll down the list to the submenu "Change Option_R Key", expand it, and check the box for the very last option in it, "Option_R to RightClick".

It will work immediately, and for as long as you leave the KeyRemap4MacBook application running. Whenever the game asks you to hit the right mouse button, just tap the right option key. Your normal RMB emulation will still work, too (unless you're holding down LMB ;-|).

I would have liked to find a Windows-based solution so that OSX wouldn't necessarily have to be running, but this solution presented itself first. Haven't tested with VMware, but it definitely works with Parallels.

Edited by aratuk

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet