Crashes during loading screens

Hello, I've gone through a bit of the internet trying to find help with a problem I've been having with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2. Currently on Onderon (first planet I went to after Telos), my game keeps crashing on loading screens between docks and the market square, and the market square and the cantina (early parts of Onderon). I've updated my drivers to current, and tried (though failed, for some reason) to update the game, too. When it crashes, the KOTOR style mouse turns to the regular white windows mouse, freezing the loading screen right near the end of the loading bar, and coming up with the message that the program has to be closed. Also, the problems started shortly after, for some reason, the game began booting up in windowed mode when it isn't set to do so, also in the .ini file.

I found a similar problem someone on these forums had (http://forums.techguy.org/games/9335...2-crashes.html), this was the only instance I could find of an issue similar to mine?

As for specifications, I use the Mss32.dll fix for Win 7, running the game in Win XP SP 2 Compatibility mode.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits (6.1, build 7601)

Language: Dutch

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron 530

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel? Core2 CPU, 6320 @ 1.86 GHz 1.87 GHz

Memory: 4,00 GB

Page File: 1449 MB Used, 5200 MB Available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Chiptype: GeForce 9600 GT

Hope that's enough information... I'd really appreciate any help as I've only been playing the game for about 4 days and since I'm really enjoying it, I'd hate to have to give it up. Thanks in advance.

Quick update: at the fourth try (because who knows?) it worked again for a few minutes before it began showing the same problems again, at the loading screen between proving the doctor's innocence to the Guard Captain and Major and meeting with the doctor after his release.

Edited by Mekii

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem, the way I fixed it was as follows,

I followed the instruction laid out here for kotor 1, simply applying it to kotor 2 as necessary;

http://jamesacooley.wordpress.com/2010/01/...nvidia-drivers/

Then I reduced my graphics setting, as fun as high graphics are turning them down can prevent crashing.

I turned shadows and soft shadows off.

Turned off the setting which gives you the cool force effects, including that annoying speed one.

Set all the graphics options in the advanced area other than lower than the maximum. The only thing I left at maximum was the choice between Low Medium or High.

There is another thread somewhere on this board with more detailed info, I'm going to try and find it. If I do I'll edit my post.