"Failed to Run Install Script"

Netraven

Question

I can't be the only person this has happened to...>.>

Insert the disc, let the install run, and BAM! Get hit with the message "Install Script Failed to Run." I've looked online and surprisingly, there isn't much out there about this issue with this game.

I've submitted a ticket to Square, but they won't get back to me for another 24 hours or so. I'm hoping SOMEONE Somewhere has run into this and can help me out!

Running this on on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, Intel Core 2 processor (Can't remember the speed and I'm not at home right now), 8 GB Ram, and a Sapphire HD5750 Vapor-X Video card.

Please let me know if there is any more information you need on this.

1 answer to this question

UPDATE:

I FINALLY was able to get it to install! Problem is, I had to commandline Steam to install it for me. After "googling" this issue, I found a few other Steam games that had this problem. One of the resolutions was to go through the following steps in order to get it to work:

Start Button > Run > "c:\program files\steam\steam.exe -install d:"

That last bit in quotes above is the default installation path to Steam, and where d: = your Optical drive where you have the game disc. For me, my actual command was "c:\games\steam\steam.exe -install f:"

It still didn't seem like it was going to work, as it gave me some C++ 2008 Redistributable error from Microsoft, but while I was in the midst of my preperations to defenestrate my computer, the game came up and I was " O_O!!! ZOMG! IT WORKS!" and was finally able to play it! I guess I'm just lucky I had bought Portal... >.>

My question is why does it have to be this way? What if I didn't have Steam installed on my computer? I buy a disc, I want to install from my disc. I don't want to go through a third party application to install directly from the disc.

Thank you anyway. Hopefully someone will find this helpful.