New never encountered before startup problem for me on XP

Most likely you have seen this posted before by various people, my situation is a bit moore less mainstream than that this is caued by using Windows VISTA

i have XP Home E

The problem have occured last week just after i hade purchased a "better!" computer, after game istallation and the officialy patching i try to launch the game

i will recieve this messasge that "Kotor2 have encoutner a problem and need to close"

i can accually uninstall game fully and then redo this procedure, but same error vill return, efter after just reformatting computer it will crash,

this kinda indicates that my motherboard(settings?) may not like Kotor as mutch as my previous this, its not even a new grahpic card installed niw,

its not any different catalyst version than last week either when i played Peragus either

I have thou heard rumours that the 4 disc edition can start to develope problems, atleast disc 1 and 3 hade some in my opinion none fatal scraps but was pretty dirty both,

i noticed this thou first after recieving the crash issue on this new computer after. but obviosly the disc conditions was enough for my old computer to play it last week, and even installed it there just 2 weeks ago

but i dont remember if the installation process acted the same as it have done on this computer atleast 1 time

and that is..it suggested that i should insert a wrong disk upon swap, it asked twice for disk 3, and disk 4 allso

it did something like a rollback without exiting thou

I then becomed convinced that the disk must be in bad condition, so i cleaned them and allso repaired scratches with toothpaste and cotton waste

on all four disks, i would say that the majority of scraps on the play disk are removed, it should accept this cd, i have seen mutch worse discs that have infact worked fine so no

After that i can conclude that im not forced to reinsert same disk for a second time, and it doesnt longer claim that disk3 is not inserted when it infact is like it did before the rubbing

so the succesfull kotor installation now behaves normal

but i can still see a pattern throu the start menu that "uninstall" icon have becomes broken and cant find itself, unles i manually first replace it to start from the "setup" on the inserted playdisc

i can then load uninstall but the icon will remains broken at same time, that alone is the only trail that may confirm that it is my discs that are to scratched to install 100 % correct?

but i guess it could allso indicate leftover keys from previous tryouts to install, the best would therefore have been to check just after the wery first installation on a XP installation if

the uninstall icon arent brooken

is it disk 1 that are connected to the acual start moment of kotor2? that you think i therefore should focus to rub moore on..if its now are worth to ever rub moore,even thou there are only minimal scars left,

or is all discs connected here during the isntallation what the outcome will be for this particulary crash

If rubbing moore on disks doesnt help,

Is there anything else i could try that perhaps could involve changing in the game's own config file and write lines that would possibly fit newer mootherboards/processors like mine

i cant come up with any editet/added/removed lines myself cause this is not so "my area", i would need your suggestions

I guess i could? try to extract a crash reports from the systemlog over this event and post here should you require, ore provide a hijack this list?

Operating System: Windows Home

Greetings again, i can below offer the viewers a replay of the above post, but this time it have passed a online spell checker! faschinating to realize how bad my english spelling accually are without a police officer..this at same time as im this incredible verbal with your languange

admin are allowed to kill my first post and move this up

Anyhow, school english!!! starting from NOW ON o:)

Most likely you have seen this problem posted before by various people, my situation is a bit more less mainstream than this is caused by using Windows VISTA

i have XP Home E

The problem have occur ed last week just after i had purchased a "better!" computer, after game installation and the officially patching i try to launch the game

i will receive this message that

"Kotor2 have encounter a problem and need to close"

i can actually uninstall game fully and then redo this procedure, but same error returns, just after reformatting computer it will crash also

this kinda indicates that my motherboard(settings?) may not like Kotor as much as my previous, its not even a new graphic card installed now,

its not any different catalyst version than last week either when i played Peragus

I have thou heard rumours that the 4 disc edition can start to develop problems, at least disc 1 and 3 had some in my opinion none fatal scraps but was pretty dirty both,

i noticed this thou first after receiving the crash issue on this new computer after. but obviously the disc conditions was enough for my old computer to play it last week, and even installed it there just 2 weeks ago

but i don't remember if the installation process acted the same as it have done on this computer atleast 1 time

and that is..it suggested that i should insert a wrong disk upon swap, it asked twice for disk 3, and disk 4 all-so

it did something like a rollback without exiting thou

I then became convinced that the disk must be in bad condition, so i cleaned them and also repaired scratches with toothpaste and cotton waste

on all four disks, i would say that the majority of scraps on the play disk are removed, it should accept this disk, i have seen much worse discs that have in fact worked fine..so no

After that i can conclude that I'm not forced to reinsert same disk for a second time, and it doesn't longer claim that disk3 is not inserted when it in-fact is like it did before the rubbing

so the successful Kotor installation now behaves normal

but i can still see a pattern through the start menu that "uninstall" icon have becomes broken and cant find itself, unless i manually first replace it to start from the "setup" on the inserted playdisc

i can then load uninstall but the icon will remains broken at same time, that alone is the only trail that may confirm that it is my discs that are to scratched to install 100 % correct?

but i guess it could also indicate leftover keys from previous tryouts to install, the best would therefore have been to check just after the very first installation on a XP installation if

the uninstall icon aren't broken

is it disk 1 that are connected to the actual start moment of Kotor2? that you think i therefore should focus to rub more on..if its now are worth to ever rub more,even thou there are only minimal scars left,

or is all discs connected here during the installation what the outcome will be for this particularly crash

If rubbing More on disks doesn't help,

Is there anything else i could try that perhaps could involve changing in the game's own con-fig file and write lines that would possibly fit newer motherboards/processors like mine

i cant come up with any edited/added/removed lines myself cause this is not so "my area", i would need your suggestions

I guess i could? try to extract a crash reports from the system-log over this event and post here should you require, ore provide a hijack this list?

Operating System: Windows Home™ Service Pack 3

Language: English (Regional Setting: Swedish)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte?

System Model: GA-MA770-UD3

BIOS: - Award software international inc version - FA date -04/09/2009

Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X4 945

Memory: 4000 MB RAM

Page File: 1214MB used, 2843MB available

Windows Dir: E:\Windows (unfortunately windows have swapped MBR to E:/ accidentally, while the system files and "system"status are correct on C:/, if this where a problem it would affect other games than Kotor same way?

DirectX Version: DirectX 9c (October)

Display Driver: Catalyst 10.2

Card name: ASUS EAH4850 TOP (Radeon?)

Chip type: ?

This post took me only over 1 hour to prepare, please reward me with anything

Edited by Bl

Heres a error report i found in documents and settings

is it interesting to someone?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

<DATABASE>

<EXE NAME="swkotor2.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="binkw32.dll" SIZE="347136" CHECKSUM="0x468E384D" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.5.21.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.5.21.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="1.6b" FILE_DESCRIPTION="RAD Video Tools" COMPANY_NAME="RAD Game Tools, Inc." PRODUCT_NAME="Bink and Smacker" FILE_VERSION="1.6b" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright © 1994-2003, RAD Game Tools, Inc." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x0" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.5.21.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.5.21.0" LINK_DATE="12/10/2003 03:57:42" UPTO_LINK_DATE="12/10/2003 03:57:42" />

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="launcher.exe" SIZE="477696" CHECKSUM="0x6FE7E6E7" BIN_FILE_VERSION="2.0.0.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="2.0.0.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="2.0.0.0" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords" COMPANY_NAME="Obsidian Entertainment, Inc." PRODUCT_NAME="Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords" FILE_VERSION="2.0.0.0" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="" INTERNAL_NAME="Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="

Guest Slinky

Apparently KotOR doesn't work with Catalyst 10.1 or 10.2. There's a topic about it at AMD forums here

If you are having the same problem, then you need to wait for Catalyst 10.3 that should be released any day now, or install earlier version.

Apparently KotOR doesn't work with Catalyst 10.1 or 10.2. There's a topic about it at AMD forums here

If you are having the same problem, then you need to wait for Catalyst 10.3 that should be released any day now, or install earlier version.

Thanks for this, wouldnt ever hade knowed without your post :lol: would have given up this to retry installing Kotor again til 2012probably, and then with Catalyst "23.12" its to late anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi to all,i can conclude that im not forced to reinsert same disk for a second time, and it doesnt longer claim that disk3 is not inserted when it infact is like it did before the rubbing

so the succesfull kotor installation now behaves normal

but i can still see a pattern throu the start menu that "uninstall" icon have becomes broken and cant find itself, unles i manually first replace it to start from the "setup" on the inserted playdisc

but i guess it could allso indicate leftover keys from previous tryouts to install, the best would therefore have been to check just after the wery first installation on a XP installation if

the uninstall icon arent brooken. what you say?

Take care