KotOR 2 graphics problems

:sorcerer:ok.. i just installed KotOR 2 on my computer and ive been having trouble from the beginning

the first problem i had after installing it is that after starting a new game and choosing my character, after going through the intro and movie it would go to a black screen and freeze but i could hear sound and music i tried everything and nothing worked

finally i downloaded catalyst version 9.3 and the first thing i noticed was that on the main menu the greyish guy on there was gone and under new game all the characters to choose from were invisible and couldnt be seen, i ignored this and continued on with everything, at first it seemed to work because it didnt freeze at the black screen, however... this time i got into the game but everything was black and all i could see were a few green and purple shapes and a blob of tan where my character was, obviously making the game unplayable. i saved the game here and tried again but this didnt help

next.. i updated my video driver version, after doing this i went back into the game yet again and loaded up the saved game i had. this time it finally seemed like it was working! i could see everything and i could move, i played through the game perfectly up until the point where i am outside of the mining facility and the ship shows up to dock and the video comes up showing the grey person inside it.. yet again the screen goes black and it freezes like before....

apparently when i update my video driver to the point where it can be playable it gets rid of the catalyst 9.3 i had installed... so now my problem is to get past these black screen freezes i need to use catalyst, this gets me past those spots, but it also makes the game unplayable, and to play the game and run it fine i need to update my video driver, which removes catalyst, which in turn makes me not be able to get past these spots that make the game freeze.. i cant exactly just put catalyst on when i get to those spots and then update the driver EVERY time, this would take way to much time and not to mention i dont know where all these spots are, meaning id have to find out the hard way every time losing my progress, is there anything i can do to fix this? does anyone have any suggestions? if you do it would be greatly appreciative

my video card is:

ati mobility radeon 9600 64MB

display driver version 7.981-040127m-015309C

control panel version 6.14.10.5088

2D version 6.14.10.6422

Thanks

Although the ATI Radeon 9600 is supported, I am not that sure of the laptop (Mobility) version... :p

Also, depending on it - you might want to read all threads around here for troubleshooting. It could be that you .ini-file is wrapped up and needs fixing - although, considering your description, I guess not.

Also - Catalyst's latest update is 9.9 it seems.

Suggestion:

- Update catalyst

- Depending on which system you have - if it is Vista - set it to compability mode WinXP SP 2.

If that works better but not completely, we can look further... but this can range from hardware to software, so not sure.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Edited by TUHD

The Undead Half-Dragon of NWN 2

Sith Master of KOTOR 2

Bred and raised in Darkness

'The righteous shall fall before the wicked'

Although the ATI Radeon 9600 is supported, I am not that sure of the laptop (Mobility) version... :p

Also, depending on it - you might want to read all threads around here for troubleshooting. It could be that you .ini-file is wrapped up and needs fixing - although, considering your description, I guess not.

Also - Catalyst's latest update is 9.9 it seems.

Suggestion:

- Update catalyst

- Depending on which system you have - if it is Vista - set it to compability mode WinXP SP 2.

If that works better but not completely, we can look further... but this can range from hardware to software, so not sure.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

ok anything past catalyst 9.3 isnt compatible with my drivers, and i have the latest versions of video drivers for this computer, i dont have vista i have XP pro, and im pretty sure that its supported, my computer passes all of the recommended specs to play kotor 2 and i have been able to play as i said, its just that for some reason its catalyst 9.3 that does this although the game only needs 5.4 i think it said. im really stuck here, but i cant play without catalyst... its a lose lose situation