Start-up crash

About 95% of the time, when I attempt to run KOTORII on Vista, it crashes on start-up. I hit "Game" on the autorun, wait a few seconds, then get an error message informing me that KOTORII has stopped working. The other 5% of the time, it'll be fine. I've tried a number of different things but I can't reproduce consistent, working results. Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it/get around i t?

I've had issues with it running in vista too, though not like that.

Mind if I ask a few questions? Did you install it and are running with windows xp compatibility method? Have you updated your game? Are all your video and audio drivers up to date? Can you play the game once it loads properly or does it crash inside?

Mind if I ask a few questions? Did you install it and are running with windows xp compatibility method? Have you updated your game? Are all your video and audio drivers up to date? Can you play the game once it loads properly or does it crash inside?

1) Not sure what that is?

2) Yeah, I downloaded a manual patch and installed it.

3) I updated the video one, didn't think about audio. It should be up to date, but I'll try that next.

4) Yup. If I can get it to launch properly, everything runs fine.

1) Not sure what that is?

2) Yeah, I downloaded a manual patch and installed it.

3) I updated the video one, didn't think about audio. It should be up to date, but I'll try that next.

4) Yup. If I can get it to launch properly, everything runs fine.

For the windows xp compatibility method, here's one way http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showt...48&hl=vista

They say you don't have to install it useing the windows xp method, though I did and it worked. For me, I put the first cd and canceled the auto play. Then I explored it, right clicked the setup file, went to properties, then in properties I went to the compatibility tab. In there I checked the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for ... " in the drop down menu I selected Windows XP. Then down at the bottom I selected "Run this program as an administrator".

After doing all that I clicked ok and ran the setupfile and worked from there. Once it was installed, I updated the game and then on the short cut, I right clicked it and went to it's properties, and performed the same properties adjustments as I did to the setup file. From there it worked fine.

That's for me though, I've read of so many different issues that present themself as the same thing. I'd try and do the simple things first before doing a complete reinstall.

Maybe try doing just the short cut "Run as XP" method first. Have you also tried replacing the Mss32.dll file(It's found in the root folder of KOTOR2). Also, maybe try opening the auto launcher and going to the configuration, and trying to disable your sound and your movies, and setting everything to its lowest graphical settings.

There's a couple more things you can try before doing a full reinstall, Ill try and dig them up.

What graphics card are you useing by the way?

That sounds promising; I'll try your method first, since it's a bit simpler.

The troubleshooting options in the autolauncher haven't really changed anything.

NVidia GeForce 8600M GT

Hope it works.

Maybe post the rest of your specs. I'm not a computer tech, but I'm sure it'll help someone else narrow down the issue you're having.

I've read that having dual cores or something like that can cause issues and they recommond useing only one, that is if you have 2.(?)

Maybe try downloading the crack(since you own it I assume that's not an issue), and see if that helps.

• 3 months later...