ATI/KOTOR Driver Question

I have an ATI Radeon 9550/1050 graphics card. I've been talking with on the Tech Support section of LF forums about an issue I'm having. The last update Cataylist Bundle 7.11 November 2007 update that I've had problems with K1 and K2. Ever since the Dec 2007 when you'd do force speed you'd see circuit board bars on the screen. Then the Jan 2008 when I'd launch K1 and K2 my compute would restart.

So I told this to LF's Tech Support guys. And what I found out is that I've all this time been doing my updateing wrong. Each time there was an update I'd just download the update and install it and not get rid of the prior update. I didn't think I'd have to do that. I always though an older version is replaced by a new one. I was wrong.

What I've learned is you've got to do this. Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall the ATI Uninstall Utility and say yes to the recommended choice of just removing the driver only. Restart, but while it restarts tap F8 until you get the option to go to Safe Mode. Do so. Say cancel to any of the plug and play screens that come up and don't insert any ATI disc. From here do DriverSweeper or some program like it. Restart into Normal mode and install the desired update.

Here's my question though. Since in the past I did it wrong of updating by overwritting which I shouldn't have done in the past. So I'm not sure if it's because of my overwritting or is it because past a certain driver that K1 and K2 really does start to have problems.

So the people I want to hear from are those who did the driver installing correctly by using a sweeper and getting rid of the prior update and putting in the new update. Those people I believe have the answer of which updates work and which ones are the ones that start to have problems. This will save me time rather than me having to install until I get a bad update. This will save me time of having to see if it was my fault that I had problems or if it really is that certain updates do have problems past a certain driver update.

Thanks guys.

sweaw2008-06-0711-55-23-01.jpg

Aw come on. Why is it that every time I come here I have to double and tripple post just to get my topics noticed? Someone respond to the thread please. Sotp ignoreing me. Before I said this on another topic and I was told to calm down. That's fine, but jeeze when someone makes a topic like this I should not be ignored. What am I a leper. No offense to lepers. lol.

sweaw2008-06-0711-55-23-01.jpg

So the people I want to hear from are those who did the driver installing correctly by using a sweeper and getting rid of the prior update and putting in the new update. Those people I believe have the answer of which updates work and which ones are the ones that start to have problems. This will save me time rather than me having to install until I get a bad update. This will save me time of having to see if it was my fault that I had problems or if it really is that certain updates do have problems past a certain driver update.
In fact, any sweeper / driver cleaner... programs are not recommended. A normal uninstal for the driver works just fine. Who's LF by the way?

I do have an ATI card, but no KOTOR currently installed, so I'm not much help on the real issue here, but I can still guess what can solve it :thumbsup: The most recent driver is 8.10, but seeing your graphics card, you'd probably need the special AGP-Hotfix. See here for more details: Link to AMD's Customer Care. It states that after 8.2 it's safe to use the normal Catalysts again for your graphics card.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority