KotOR 2 on Vista RC1

Yodhrin06

Hi there.

I recently installed the Windows Vista RC1 beta as a last resort to solve some issues on my system, and it's been working fine, but now I have a problem I need some help with.

KotOR 2 won't run, it's claiming I don't have adequate GFX card drivers even though I do(77.72). It worked fine using these same drivers under XP Home, and other games run fine in Vista using those drivers(running the game under XP SP2 compatability mode doesn't work). I can't install the nVidia Vista-specific drivers because they don't support my old motherboard chipset and GFX card(which are both ancient relics), and I can't go back to XP because my crappy system restore disks won't work and I don't have any other copies of that OS.

Is there any way to force KotOR 2 to recognise the drivers(as I know the game runs fine with them) in a Vista environment?

Any suggestions are appreciated, I've been plugging away at this for a week now with no results and if I don't get my Jedi fix soon my flatmates are going to suffer ;)

Does Vista have an emulation mode like XP where your run an app under an emulated environment of its precursor OS'?

Yep, Compatability Mode, tried it and didn't work ;)

Im thinking along the lines of editing some of KotOR 2's files in order to force it to use the drivers, Im just not experianced in that area so I need someone to guide me through it.

Sounds like a driver that Vista will need to supply, to kid the game into thinking it's running on XP.

Although I've heard the backward-compatibility of Vista is pretty high, I haven't heard of any way to rectify it should it fail. (Not that I've looked.)

You could always dual-boot with XP, and run it from that partition.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sounds like a driver that Vista will need to supply, to kid the game into thinking it's running on XP.

Although I've heard the backward-compatibility of Vista is pretty high, I haven't heard of any way to rectify it should it fail. (Not that I've looked.)

You could always dual-boot with XP, and run it from that partition.

I don't have a copy of XP, my PC came with it and my system restore disks(which would ordinarily reinstall XP) are giving me errors(Single User version cannot do multiple loads, cannot locate GHOSTERR.TXT and unable to locate bootdisk in drive A:. I can't figure out what to do on that front as I have a valid bootdisk). I need to get the thing running in Vista or I'm screwed ;)