UK Version - Patching error

Hello.

I've been trying to patch my UK version of KoTR II.

I've applied the 1.0a patch without a problem.

However, whenever I try to patch the next one (1.0b), I recieve an error message. It tells me that there is an 'Error opening new file RTB91134'. I suspect this means there is a problem in the patch I have downloaded.

I have tried the manual patch, and the autopatcher.

I have turned off my virus checker and firewall.

I have downloaded multiple times.

I am using the UK version of the patch.

I have reinstalled my game and tried again (twice).

None of the above as worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Well, the 'a' patch is simply an electronic version of the game manual. As for the 'b' patch, you could try downloading the American version and see if that works. Buying a non-UK version in the UK isn't unheard of.

Failing that, do you really need the patch? Given the additional bugs it creates, it might be more sensible to leave the game unpatched if you're not experiencing difficulties without it.

Well, the 'a' patch is simply an electronic version of the game manual. As for the 'b' patch, you could try downloading the American version and see if that works. Buying a non-UK version in the UK isn't unheard of.

I've tried that. No luck.

Interestingly, I just tried reinstalling again, and ran the updater. I noticed the file was a good 16mb - I think it was lumping 'a' and 'b' together. I still got an error message, though, with regarding to 'opening new file'.

Patching File Modules\650DAN_dlg.erf

Failure Opening New File

Failing that, do you really need the patch? Given the additional bugs it creates, it might be more sensible to leave the game unpatched if you're not experiencing difficulties without it.

I see...

Thanks. I'll see how it goes.

Interestingly, I just tried reinstalling again, and ran the updater. I noticed the file was a good 16mb - I think it was lumping 'a' and 'b' together. I still got an error message, though, with regarding to 'opening new file'.

Patching File  Modules\650DAN_dlg.erf

Failure Opening New File

The UK patch is larger (c.16MB) than the US patch (c.12MB) (I think there is some of the larger resolution movies, but not sure). Certainly it shouldn't be causing this error.

Also you might try moving / renaming the offending file in the KotOR directory and re-applying the patch (use the autopatch first).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Problem sorted - it turns out you need more than a few GB free on the hard disk, before it will patch successfully. I think it was struggling to decompress the files (not that I had a shortage of space, but it seems a 3 Gig just isn't enough for it). I cleaned out some space, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help, and I hope if others stumble across this problem the same solution will work for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Problem sorted - it turns out you need more than a few GB free on the hard disk, before it will patch successfully. I think it was struggling to decompress the files (not that I had a shortage of space, but it seems a 3 Gig just isn't enough for it). I cleaned out some space, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help, and I hope if others stumble across this problem the same solution will work for them.

How much space are we talking? I've cleared out to about 7.5GB of free space and it still won't install.