Crashing all the time

Ok... I am having a hell of a time getting this game working. It crashes on me at the drop of a hat. Get into a coversation and it crashes. Go to an area that requires a load and it crashes. Walk around a corner and it crashes. Walk across a romm and then everyone disappears and it crashes. Most of the itme is just dumps me to desktop but there have been a few where it required doing a soft shutdown by hitting the power button.

I did the DX diagnostics on both sound and vedio and they both checked out fine.

I have the game patched

I have the latest drivers for my Sound card and video card.

As for system...

Athlon 2700 2.17 ghz

XP pro with sp2

1 gig ddr 400 dual channel

ATI 9200 SE with catalyst 5.4 drivers

SB live

Any help would be appriciated. These crashes are totally ruining my gameplay experience. When I cant even go three minutes or one long conversation in the game something is wrong.

ATI cards seem to cause lots of problems. And this forum's search limitations makes it hard to find all the threads connected to it, but I know that there have been lots (and lots) of such threads, proposing little tweaks and changes that worked for some people, but not for everyone. The best I can suggest is to go through all these old threads and try everything they suggest until you find something that works for you.

Edit: Did you get the game recently? You might try playing it without the patch, as that seemed to create as many problems as it solved.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Ok... I am having  a hell of a time getting this game working.  It crashes on me at the drop of a hat.  Get into a coversation and it crashes.  Go to an area that requires a load and it crashes.  Walk around a corner and it crashes.  Walk across a romm and then everyone disappears and it crashes.  Most of the itme is just dumps me to desktop but there have been a few where it required doing a soft shutdown by hitting the power button. 

I did the DX diagnostics on both sound and vedio and they both checked out fine. 

I have the game patched

I have the latest drivers for my Sound card and video card. 

As for system...

Athlon 2700  2.17 ghz

XP pro with sp2

1 gig ddr 400 dual channel

ATI 9200 SE with catalyst 5.4 drivers

SB live

Any help would be appriciated.  These crashes are totally ruining my gameplay experience.  When I cant even go three minutes or one long conversation in the game something is wrong.

i would make sure you have the lastest motherboard drivers installed.

also dont overclock anything and try turning your ram to safe settings in the bios if its at CAS 2 set it to CAS 3.

might be a bit slower but the stabilty will be there.