Radeon Graphics Problems

I am running Kotor2 with an ATI Radeon X800SE. Given its specs the performance shouldn't be lacking, but I tried all sorts of settings for graphics detail and rendering performance to get rid of lags and glitches without any satisfactory results until recently.

As it turns out most the graphics/performance problems appear to be caused by a failure of Kotor2 to reset/apply *ALL* driver parameters when changing settings. This leads to the effect that if you have adjusted graphics performance through ATI's control panel and have different rendering parameters for your desktop, other applications etc then those you apply within Kotor (or change them during play) that the driver is supplied only with a subset of the parameters needed for rendering according to your specifications; some parameters remain just unchanged, and especially with the newer ATI cards there are a few added twists.

As a workaround, make sure that you specifiy through the ATI control panel/driver configuration the same parameters (AA, Anisotrophy) you use with Kotor2. If you have played another game or booted from a different OS, e.g. Linux, make sure that you perform a hard reset for the graphics hardware (shutting down the computer, wait two seconds, switch on again).

This helped on my machine, runs now smoothly with maximum quality settings from the ATI control panel. Happy :)