Why are ants appearing inside my base?

Hello,

I had a similar issue a couple of years at my house where I would find random ants on the kitchen counters. Back then all I had to do was to wipe the counters with some vinegar and poof! problem solved. The issue I'm having with the ants on Grounded is a bit more persistent. Specifically Red Worker ants keep appearing seemingly out of nowhere and after a while they even roam around my base which is quite annoying, especially since I have food in chests lying around.

I recently upgraded my base fortifying it with mushroom brick and expanding it. The location as you might be able to tell from the picture below is where the fence meets the Oak Tree next to the pond. The highlighted part is the newly built extention.

image.jpeg.06556e4f27620d6f87feb1d9ccc5ffb5.jpeg

When they appear, they do so in the location marked below. I find 1-3 of them stuck between the soda can and the wall and they have their heads towards the wall as if they are stuck.

image.jpeg.25d54634bfedb79d41a4c895013188ee.jpeg

If I am away for extended periods of time, doing quests or gathering materials, I come back and find them roaming around.

I checked the perimeter of my structure for weak and open spots but I found none, and there is no issue of me forgetting a gate open (I have a strong habbit of closing all gates behind me).

I should also note that the ant population around my base had increased (before extending the base), because of some mushroom garden patches I had built near my southern walls. This attracted weevils, that would gather on the other side of the wall, and in turn Weevils attracted the ants. I recently moved the mushrooms to the new extended area not too near on any walls and the Weevils stopped gathering, but the ants started appearing.

I'm pretty sure that this is some kind of bug.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ants are annoying and do often seem to appear randomly, there could be a few reasons for ants appearing.

1. You base has blocked the pathing (direction of travel) of the ants and they get stuck.

2. You mentioned food in chests, so having food in chests that are on the ground will attract ants,  I had this issue in my first base, move them higher up onto a shelf should limit the quantity of ants appearing 

3. make sure you are not putting any ant eggs in chests as they will hatch into ants eventually and cause problems.

4. You could either move the area of you base away from the can to create a path or extend you base to have the can inside your base.

5. You can use some ant totems near the area sometimes this help to keep them away.

If none of these work and you think it maybe a genuine bug you could contact obsidian support and tell them about it.

hope this helps.

• Like 1