Game crashes at launch with newest Nvidia driver

P.Val

Question

I've been playing this game without issues. I even played it earlier today.

But now I updated my graphics drivers (I haven't updated them in many years, and another game had problems due to that)

And since then, Deadfire crashes instantly on startup, not even showing the menu. It only shows a blank screen, and it seems to be windowed. Before that, the game launched immediately full screen.

The driver I installed today was from Sep 20, 2021. I tired going back, but sadly, the earliest driver offered for download is from March 2021, and the game crashes with it as well. The driver I successfully played the gamer with, must be very old. Luckily, I have a dxdiag saved from a few days ago.

The old dxdiag has

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
Driver Version: 10.18.13.5384
Driver Date/Size: 11/17/2015 13:21:34

The current one is

Driver Version: 27.21.14.6589
Driver Date/Size: 3/26/2021 11:05:48

I also attached the error log.

I could not find my original driver in official sources anyway, so if that would be the only solution, I'd have to risk downloading a 2015 driver from who knows where, possibly malware-infested.

Is there a chance to run the game with any recent-ish driver?

error.log output_log.txt

1 answer to this question

Update: from the NVIDIA homepage this driver list I tried at first only goes mack to March 2021 which is too new and crashed the game: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

However, there is another link to drivers, not accessible from the main page, which has earlier drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

I picked up one from 2018, when this game was launched, and it works.

However, it would still be nice if the game worked with recent drivers too.

Edited by P.Val