Missing saved games [SOLUTION?]

spyrosn

Question

Hi, I'm facing the usual problem of missing saved games (yes, almost 3 years after). 

I have found a solution, for my case at least, and I'd like to share it with any other frustrated souls out there.

- Delete your %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\ObsidianEntertainment folder.

- Delete your %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\ObsidianEntertainment folder.

- Look at your %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games folder. For me the issue was a duplicate "Saved Games" folder being created inside my Saved Games folder. By deleting this, the saved games magically reappeared.

The additional head-scratching factor is that the saved games were never there to begin with! They are being saved in %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games\Pillars of Eternity II. But by deleting the aforementioned folder everything seems to work again.

To devs/tech leads: Without having seen the source code, I surmise that most of the in-game saving/loading takes place in either of the AppData folders, and that the saved games get transferred to the %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\... folder on game exit. (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess at play, here). Can you please check whether any leftover code accidentally also creates a new "Saved Games" folder inside the original one please? 

Personally, I have spent at least 2 or 3 hours on troubleshooting something that should work straight out of the box. The only reasons I did it were a) I have a technical background so I'm not put off by this kind of thing and b) I do like the game 🙂 But I appreciate that "losing" all of their saves can become a game-breaking bug for many of your users, so I would respectfully suggest you straightened this one out.

Thanks and kind regards.

ETA: I have the Steam version of the game, and I have disabled cloud saves.

Edited by spyrosn

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet