Saves will not load, returns to menu screen without doing anything

campbell.816

Question

Hello,

This issue has only been occurring the past couple of days but when I try to load a save, the game just returns to the main menu without doing anything, not even a crash notification. The problem seemed to resolve itself a couple of times on its own but now it won't load anything. There were also a couple instances where a save loaded fine, my party got killed then I tried to load a previous save and it would just keep returning me to the "Defeat" screen. I have never had any mods installed and it says that all of the DLC is installed so I don't know what the problem could be. The files are too big to upload so here is a google drive link with the system spec, output log, a save game, and a short video of the bug

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Zir1bTjuxOdNqmmCYZ5LL22WnpmatFux?usp=sharing

Update: The most recent save file will load just fine when clicking "Continue" on the main menu, the problem only occurs when clicking "Load"

Edited by campbell.816

4 answers to this question

It looks like we're having some trouble overwriting some temp files. Can you try deleting the folder 'C:/Users/dcamp/AppData/Local/Temp/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity II/TempSaveData' while the game is not running?  If you have an antivirus program, it could also be interfering with the game as it's trying to move files around, so you might try disabling it or adding an exception for Pillars of Eternity if that doesn't work.