1) Can you talk to different npcs with different companions to use their passive skills directly - say I have 11 Metaphysics on Aloth, can he approach a NPC to use his metaphysics in conversation? 

2) When you get party assist for skills like stealth, does it work in real time game play as you travel around - say my main has 5 stealth, everyone else has 2, so 8 total for +4 assist.. does that mean my main is getting a 9 stealth rating as he sneaks around? If this is true, do you all have to be within a certain meter distance of each other?

3) Ive read that sleight of hand provides better stealing ability, Ive only seen one instance so far where it told me I needed lvl 6 or 7 I think to take an item. The rest of the time does this just mean that you get higher loot table showing as a selection to steal from?

Thanks for helping me understand this, my head is a little foggy while pondering so much after playing for a week, so I appreciate your wisdom and patience. If you know of an existing post here or elsewhere that answers this partially or fully, thanks for sharing.

1) I'm almost certain the answer is no.

2) Not sure but I think the distance don't matter unless it's a script interaction.

You can however test it yourself with the mechanics.

3) You should read this;

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105547-obsidian-could-we-please-fix-pickpocketing/

It does not appeare you get higher loot value from the stealing skill.