Family Pride and That Sinking Feeling bug workaround.

The Zeppo

Question

I noticed some other people on the forums had this issue as well, but I found a workaround after playing around with it. I believe the problem is with scripting and trigger conflicts between the two quests.

The best thing about this solution is that there doesn't seem to be any negative fallout from it. Pallegina doesn't leave and there's no change in companion or VTC reputation. Also, unless the scripting connected to the game's end-state is bugged further, which I doubt since it should go off of the final state of Family Pride, the endgame slides should reflect a peaceful outcome, if they mention it at all. But I won't know that until I get there.

The Problem:

So, I had discovered the plot from Persa in The Hole, but wanted to resolve the situation like Pallegina suggested so I decided not to tell Ezzali.

I went through with the peace talks and completed Family Pride but, expectantly, failed That Sinking Feeling. The weird part was that That Sinking Feeling wasn't in my Questlog anymore at all. Not Completed nor Uncompleted. No matter, time to collect my rewards from the family heads!

Except the Valeras just initiate a conversation that is scripted to the next step in That Sinking Feeling (the same quest I no longer have in my questlog), either sending me to the Bardatto vault or attacking me.

I was perplexed and ready to just write off Duskfall and never set foot in the Valera household again. But with some testing I found...

The Solution:

It's simple. Just go along with the Valera plan.

You enter the vault, kill everyone inside, steal everything as recompense for annoying you and save Belda.

When you go back up into the Bardatto Estate proper, everyone is still neutral and all of their conversation are all, "I can't believe we made peace!"

Then run over to the Valera Estate and they'll thank you for saving Belda.

Afterward, talk to them again and the game will revert to the proper post-Family Pride scripted dialog and you'll get Duskfall.

I still don't have That Sinking Feeling in my questlog, but *shrug*. [+1 Stoic]

2 answers to this question

This fix did not work for me. I followed the steps:

1. Talk to the Valera family and fail Sinking Feeling

2. Go through with the vault quest to rescue Belda.

3. Speak to the Valera family again and they'll ask you to kill Ezalli. 

4. At this point the option to request peace talks from the Valeras and the Bardottis does not show up in the conversation options with either head of family.

I tried a different variant of

1. Speak to Ezalli and request peace talks without triggering the end of the Sinking Feeling quest.

2. Talk to the Valera family and fail Sinking Feeling

3. Go through with the vault quest to rescue Belda.

4. Speak to the Valera family again and they'll ask you to kill Ezalli. 

5. If you start a conversation with the head of the Valera family at this point the conversation option to request peace talks does appear however

6. After requesting peace talks from the Valeras nothing happens and every time you speak to the Valeras after that they just keep asking if you have killed the Bardottis. There are no new dialogue options with the Bardottis either. 

At this point I've spent 4 hours trying to resolve this dumb quest peacefully and I'm ready to chuck the game in the garbage.