I don't know whether it was requested before, but could someone be so lovely and make a watercolour version of the old companion portraits of Edér, Aloth and Pallegina?  I prefer the old portraits to the new ones.

I've got Aloth. :)

Edit: did the rest.

4rvNA9k.pngvxvXjHj.png

S567OYi.pngk3ppte7.png

75UW3hJ.pngoTOmB1w.png

Edited by Krimsis
  • Like 4

Something you folks might find useful if you are having trouble getting "ink outlines":

Thanks so much for this guide! This made it finally sort of click for me.

Used your guide to try a portrait and this is the closest to happy I've been with my own attempt.

RBiwKkS.pngiBWn6SY.png0LgfsuN.pngneQw43D.png

• Like 2

you guys over here are super talented! ive lurked through the past two threads & i hope im not overstepping but ive had the hardest time doing these myself... (death and fire godlike own my soul)

if anyone were to tweak either of these portraits into watercolor versions, it'd be greatly appreciated! <3 (i cant offer much in exchange, but would a firstborn do?)

post-214027-0-68817300-1526867247_thumb.pngpost-214027-0-33667200-1526867255_thumb.png

• Like 1

I wish you built your character, and then it generated your portrait. 

Instead of having to track down and add approximations of various stripes. 

Yes. It would be nice to at least have that as an option if you can't find a painted portrait that you like.

Something you folks might find useful if you are having trouble getting "ink outlines":

Thanks so much for this guide! This made it finally sort of click for me.

Used your guide to try a portrait and this is the closest to happy I've been with my own attempt.

RBiwKkS.pngiBWn6SY.png0LgfsuN.pngneQw43D.png

Glad it helped. If you want to stop the colour bleeding beyond your edge borders, you go to your colour layer and select the layer mask. Remember how it looked when I painted diagonal white strokes? 

1YjC5h7.png

Full black = zero opacity. Full white = full opacity. I used a brush so big that the opaque white strokes went way beyond the outline of the character where the paper background should be visible. This is not a problem and its one of the main reasons for using layer masks.

You can use a hard circular brush to paint along the edges and make the colour layer not bleed out of the edge borders, like so:

bC4oBXn.png     cuWv5qj.png

You can do this with very large brushes. It doesn't need to be that precise because the outlines keep it tidy. Also remember that you are not actually painting on or over the outlines. You do not need to worry about accidentally going over the lines. What you are actually painting is the mask, which is shown above right (without the edge layers visible above it).

Before brushing the background out to full black:

E3qYeU7.png

After:

ciYWuSv.png

(the colour layer is set to 100% opacity so you can see the effect of the layer mask better).

Edited by Hayte
  • Like 9

I don't know whether it was requested before, but could someone be so lovely and make a watercolour version of the old companion portraits of Edér, Aloth and Pallegina?  I prefer the old portraits to the new ones.

I've got Aloth. :)

Edit: did the rest.

4rvNA9k.pngvxvXjHj.png

S567OYi.pngk3ppte7.png

75UW3hJ.pngoTOmB1w.png

Thank you so much!  :aiee:

• Like 1

I just want to point out that converted shadows on the 'pencil layer' can end up creating weird lines, like in case of above girl who seems to have a cut across her throat. One can safely delete such lines before continuing the work.

IB1OsQq.png

Yes, thats one of the things I will do if the edge layers have lots of visual noise. My edge layers have a white (full opacity) layer mask so painting black into the layer mask will remove any stray lines or noise if you dont want it there.

You can sometimes run a smooth [bilaterial] filter on the edge layer to get rid of most of the noise which can reduce the amount of brushing you need to do to clean them up. When I have time, ill finish that portrait and get rid of some of unnecessary lines.

I like to leave some of the noise from edge detects in there because when you scale the image down to 90x141 pixels, it usually crushes alot of the detail out of the image leaving a faint course paper look. So its not necessary to spend hours cleaning up every grey pixel outside of the edge boundaries.

Not sure if this one has been done yet but here it is...

post-65980-0-41252600-1526902016.png

post-65980-0-03444200-1526902025_thumb.png

post-65980-0-68883400-1526902035_thumb.png

post-65980-0-81326800-1526902044.png

• Like 3

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

you guys over here are super talented! ive lurked through the past two threads & i hope im not overstepping but ive had the hardest time doing these myself... (death and fire godlike own my soul)

if anyone were to tweak either of these portraits into watercolor versions, it'd be greatly appreciated! <3 (i cant offer much in exchange, but would a firstborn do?)

attachicon.gifwpp8Gf6tVY.pngattachicon.gifyIMN6gQ.png

yhMvJjd.pngwJZMjKJ.pngCOFEwv8.pngfdUErT2.png

Hde7vCC.pngkquTe7D.pngu28lLLD.pngaByTSHB.png

• Like 6

I've been going through a few of these threads and haven't seen any ones converted to watercolor that are from BG/BG2, IWD/IWD2? Did I miss where these are? Would be great to have these to choose from in subsequent playthroughs.

• Like 2

I used it all through the first game and I found it in the PoE 1 Portraits folder.

Unless I downloaded this portrait and completely forgot about it, it was in the first game.

Edited by Akong