Eh, i remember using this portrait in PoE 1, since there literally was a hood like that in White March (drops from some bandit, if i recall correctly).

Shame there's nothing like it in Deadfire.

At least i couldn't find it.

GCk1CDk.pnglgDwUNy.png

But i guess that's the problem when you base your character around a hat and not look for a hat that fits the character.  :w00t:

• Like 1

(Don't worry ill probably annoy you for the weeks to come - I have so many pretty portraits..  :yes: )

Yeeeeeeeeees..now that you asked so nicely! I don't think I can thank you enough you are doing great work  :bow:

My Pleasure :)

1526828238-custom-female-elf-g-lg.png1526828600-custom-female-elf-g-convo.png1526828237-custom-female-elf-g-sm.png1526828600-custom-female-elf-g-si.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1526829208-custom-female-human-d-lg.png1526829206-custom-female-human-d-convo.p1526829206-custom-female-human-d-sm.png1526829207-custom-female-human-d-si.png

Had to slightly recolor & shading this one cause it was really, (like... really really) too bright.

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 4

(Don't worry ill probably annoy you for the weeks to come - I have so many pretty portraits..  :yes: )

Yeeeeeeeeees..now that you asked so nicely! I don't think I can thank you enough you are doing great work  :bow:

My Pleasure :)

1526828238-custom-female-elf-g-lg.png1526828600-custom-female-elf-g-convo.png1526828237-custom-female-elf-g-sm.png1526828600-custom-female-elf-g-si.png

1526829208-custom-female-human-d-lg.png1526829206-custom-female-human-d-convo.p1526829206-custom-female-human-d-sm.png1526829207-custom-female-human-d-si.png

Had to slightly recolor & shading this one cause it was really, (like... really really) too bright.

You are now my most favourite person ever!  :w00t:  Thank you for all your amazing work  (~ ̄³ ̄)~ 

• Like 2

Sometimes you might get a better result if once you finish the watercolor version you place the original on top of it with Pin Light layer choice and adjust its transparency, just have to be careful about the background color so it remains the base parchment one. In my case Pin Light resulted in the final skin/hair/armor color for the orlan girl.

Always worth a try, although the result depends on the portrait colors, the trick does seem to work well at least for protecting the original colors and shadows on the watercolor version.

Fko5FLY.png

This is Pin Light with 55% transparency added, while not a big diffference you can see the shadow of the hair at the neck and ears better. I think most portraits should work fine with leaving transparency on 100% and the primary reason of using this would be making the colors more vibrant, which result in case of this blonde girl doesn't shine through as Pin Light is weak with white/golden colors.

Edited by Jorian Drake
  • Like 1

IB1OsQq.png

Sometimes you might get a better result if once you finish the watercolor version you place the original on top of it with Pin Light layer choice and adjust its transparency, just have to be careful about the background color so it remains the base parchment one. In my case Pin Light resulted in the final skin/hair/armor color for the orlan girl.

Always worth a try, although the result depends on the portrait colors, the trick does seem to work well at least for protecting the original colors and shadows on the watercolor version.

Fko5FLY.png

This is Pin Light with 55% transparency added, while not a big diffference you can see the shadow of the hair at the neck and ears better. I think most portraits should work fine with leaving transparency on 100% and the primary reason of using this would be making the colors more vibrant, which result in case of this blonde girl doesn't shine through as Pin Light is weak with white/golden colors.

...the linework was a bit weak too. ;)

TPIcbcb.pngaCGlaVl.png

Fko5FLY.png

I think Dex Portrait was pretty much perfect already but I see your point.  :geek:

Something you folks might find useful if you are having trouble getting "ink outlines":

Make your own difference of gaussians filter. It will work way better than the default difference of gaussian filter in GIMP because you can control the radius and max delta of the lower and upper cutoff of the filter.

Step 1:

Take portrait:

vIOtEtW.png

Step 2:

Duplicate as new layer, convert to grayscale and duplicate again. You should have your original colour portrait and two black and white copies like this:

igyP7Ns.png

Step 3:

Order your layers so b/w copy 2 is above b/w copy 1. Select b/w copy 2, go to Colours -> Invert and then set the layer mode on b/w copy 2 to "Dodge". This will usually result in a fully white, fully opaque layer. If it isn't fully white, you need to lower contrast, gamma and/or exposure until its full white.

Step 4:

Go to Filters -> Blur -> Selective Gaussian Blur. Watch magic happen. Start with very low blur radius like 1.0 or 2.0 and medium/high max delta like 0.5 to change the edge thickness. When you are happy with the result, right click b/w copy 2 and select "new from visible". I sometimes create multiple copies with different Selective Gaussian Blur on b/w copy 1 and 2, which you can stack up to get stronger outlines:

uMgEEn6.pngS2Mgv0N.png

Step 5:

When all your edge layers are in order you can right click and select "new from visible" to merge them all into a new layer:

Gzuh8X9.png

Step 6:

Select this new layer. Rename it to "edge (diff. of gauss)" so you can find it easily and set the layer mode to "multiply". Make sure your edge layer is above the background (paper) layer:

YRsK4hW.png

Step 7:

Now you can start painting in the colours. I use G'MIC which has a tonne of useful filters for simulating water colour translucency and brush strokes. The main filters I use for colour layers are:

1) smooth [bilateral] for flattening detail into solid blocks of colour.

example:

VI92j6b.png

2) contours [segmentation] for simulating uneven brush strokes.

example:

Yb6La4K.png

So I usually have at least 1x smoothing layer and 1x segmentation layer and apply layer masks (black - full transparency) to both. Then I use a large, full white watercolour brush and low opacity (i.e. less than 15%) to paint white into the black layer mask. Heres an example of what the segmentation layer mask will look like after some course diagonal brush strokes with the edge layer above it:

1YjC5h7.png

And this is what it looks like when the layer mask is applied:

eb95eCz.png

Then you keep on building up translucent layers of colour. This portrait has 6 layers at this point (background, segment, edge x4).

I would normally do a colour layer for hair, eyes and self shadows or if there is ornaments or clothing, I may make layers for them too so they pop more. When finished, it will have more than double the number of layers, most of them with layer masks (either black, white or alpha depending on whether you need to add or subtract detail/colour from the background or switch layer modes).

I use layer masks so its easy to "undo" stuff that looks wrong since you are not permanently painting over the image layer - you are only painting additions and subtractions in the layer mask using only black or white brushes. For detail stuff, I use high opacity brushes and colour layers with more detail, like the original, non smoothed, non segmented portrait. I tend to leave too much detail in and I don't have many GIMP brushes.

Dexgames, I want to know your brush settings because your brush/colour is way better than mine.

On the "experimentation" list of things to do:

I want to throw an edge layer into Inkscape and vector trace it so I get a super smooth outline that can scale down to tiny sizes and not break up. But I'm not sure if you can open .emf vector graphics files in GIMP and if you can whether you can still scale it like in Inkscape. My guess is probably not.

Edit:

Inkscape is good. You can use diff of gauss and/or the artistic/photocopy filter for raster outlines and then trace them in Inkscape. I sometimes use a combination of single scan/brightness cutoff and multiple scan/grey. When you get something you like, export to .eps (encapsulated postscript).

GIMP doesn't do vector scaling but .eps allows you to scale the resolution.

Edited by Hayte
  • Like 30