I'm probably overthinking this, but I really wish there'd been a vela quest. I don't need her to be a fully interactive NPC that I can talk too, but it would've been nice to have one task or side quest involving her. As it stands, I think my Watcher might be the worst adopted father ever. :(

• Like 2

I honestly do not know why she is in the game. I changed my history just to grab her along but she has virtually no interaction outside of a few lines of dialogue in the beginning of the game and occasionally talking to other characters on the ship. Even when you click on her she sounds like other members of the crew which is jarring. If you're going to have the PC kidnap a child you'd think there would be more than a modicum of interactivity. Just seems like a waste. 

I would be surprised if more content is not added to her post launch. 

Edited by PatrioticChief

I honestly do not know why she is in the game. I changed my history just to grab her along but she has virtually no interaction outside of a few lines of dialogue in the beginning of the game and occasionally talking to other characters on the ship. Even when you click on her she sounds like other members of the crew which is jarring. If you're going to have the PC kidnap a child you'd think there would be more than a modicum of interactivity. Just seems like a waste. 

I would be surprised if more content is not added to her post launch. 

With you there. On occasion she has talks with party members, but I'd have preferred it if you got more of a parent-child relationship with her, otherwise it seems like a cheap nod at a decision made in the first game. A decision that is pretty much a huge responsibility mind you.

• Like 1

personally, my biggest problem is that kidnapping a baby is somehow considered to be a good thing and is part of the premade background for the top choice, which is the benevolent one. From memory that quest in the first game had the following possible resolutions:

1. Take baby, kill brother, use baby for self gain

2. Take baby, kill brother, use baby to empower glanfathan guy

3. Leave baby with good brother, kill glanfathan guy

why is option 2 where you kill the good brother and kidnap a child considered a more benevolent option than no 3?

• Like 5

How to be a good parent, Watcher edition.

• Bring your child onto a ship of war.
  • Let your child drink ale
  • Do not under any circumstances talk to your child
  • When facing a storm designed by the very Gods themselves, heading into uncharted waters following a rogue God with no assurances you'll make it back, do not leave your child in someone elses care. How will they grow strong otherwise?
  • Investigate as many plague ships as you can.
Edited by Lexi
  • Like 11

How to be a good parent, Watcher edition.

• Bring your child onto a ship of war.
  • Let your child drink ale
  • Do not under any circumstances talk to your child
  • When facing a storm designed by the very Gods themselves, heading into uncharted waters following a rogue God with no assurances you'll make it back, do not leave your child in someone elses care. How will they grow strong otherwise?
  • Investigate as many plague ships as you can.

That made me laugh!  :lol:

you forgot : 

- Surrender her with all kind of grown up : Pirate companion ( To tell her about how not to be a slave and to run away first chance she get) , Paladin that give her a job to clean weapons ..etc . 

Although , let's be honest . She could've end up worse . She could be fighting along side the watcher....it be Gohan all over again  :shifty:

• Like 2
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

personally, my biggest problem is that kidnapping a baby is somehow considered to be a good thing and is part of the premade background for the top choice, which is the benevolent one. From memory that quest in the first game had the following possible resolutions:

why is option 2 where you kill the good brother and kidnap a child considered a more benevolent option than no 3?

Because people have fetishized stealing this baby beyond the capacity of rational thought.

Or they're just getting into this setting's penchant for slavery.

One of those.

• Like 1

Because people have fetishized stealing this baby beyond the capacity of rational thought.

One of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

• Like 2

One of those.

The thing about Vela is that her parents have completely and willingly given her up to her new "father" (who, by sheer accident, also wants to kill her) for the benefit of their tribal rite. Adding to that, she essentialy becomes a tool in a power play between posturing tribesemen.

The guy who wants to save her, if I remember correctly, doesn't really elaborate on what he himself intends to do with her. Given that Glanfathans don't have a stellar record when it comes to coherent motives or even basic mercy, I can see how keeping her could be taken by the Watcher (or whoever) as giving her the chance at a relatively normal life that she'd otherwise never get. Glanafathan lives are short, brutish, and violent, yes - but hers doesn't have to be. Nobody cares for her either way. Why shouldn't you?

Of course, there's the small detail that you have to kill the one guy who seemingly wants to help her, but still.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 4

She should at least call the Watcher Daddy/Mommy. And I expected a quest where her family (the original tribe) would come and try to rescue her. But nobody found out that I massacred the Ethik Nol (I bet my party left the cave covered in blood!), so how could they find out that I had a baby with me?

As for her brother, I intended to kidnap the baby, but when he appeared I felt guilty and chose "I'm just trying to keep her safe" or something like that. And what did he do? He attacked me! Seriously, who attacks a person carrying a baby?! :verymad:

Ok, I don't remember if anyone actually targeted my watcher, that was busy casting Armor of Faith to protect Vela from arrows and plague of insects (seriously, you cast plague of insects near a baby?!), but at that moment I knew that she would be safe with me than with this psycho people. :shrugz:

Edit: give us some dialogue options when talking with her, like hugging her or ruffling her hair. Let her ask us to spend some time together or read a story...

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 2

sign.jpg

This is a good point. Though I repeat I expect some content to be added to her and maybe some light retconning to help justify the choice. 

Good brother? I doubt it. Someone who want to poison his own father might sacrifice his own sister to gain power, even he will not someone else will because Vela has that power. I cannot remember the detail, but I remember I kidnap and keep the baby without hesitation, 

• Like 3

Good brother? I doubt it. Someone who want to poison his own father might sacrifice his own sister to gain power, even he will not someone else will because Vela has that power. I cannot remember the detail, but I remember I kidnap and keep the baby without hesitation, 

This. People tend to forget that the guy who wants to save the baby also wants to poison the other guy. If that doesn't raise any red flags, then I don't know what should.

• Like 1

Wanting to poison a would-be baby sacrificer? Given that my Watchers inevitably kill said baby sacrificer, that's not any kind of red flag in my book.

Kills him in SELF-DEFENSE (or in my case, runs away like a coward, though, i doubt the game takes that into consideration)

Once Obsidian fix the serious issues with the game, we can ask them to add more Vela content. A few dialogue options would be easy. But who knows, maybe they already have plans. Vela could be for PoE3 what Maralie Fiddlebender would be in Baldur's Gate 3:

"The game would not have been a sequel to Baldur's Gate II in terms of story but rather gameplay, however, it did continue part of story of Icewind Dale II through joinable NPC's, specifically Maralie Fiddlebender, who would have been an adult in the story."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

• Like 1

sign.jpg