One Suggestion about Multiclassing

Are you only thinking about it on a class combo level or on the subclass combo level?  Honestly, it'd take a lot more work to come up with unique abilities for every single potential subclass/subclass MC combo.  And even with just doing it on the higher main class level, I think that it'd require being certain that the ability didn't really go against the possible subclass' themes.

Still, it is an interesting idea, though i don't know how viable it is.

But why? Aside from "it would be nice"? I think it is important to identify main issues with Single Classes/Multiclasses.

It is better to spend time on things which are real issues.

Obvious suspects are abilities which proc more times than they should, or which return own cost with something extra.

There is a problem of low amount of abilities avaiable at low levels. So each time there is no choice, just pick 2 abilities you have avaible (or this two monk like abilities).

The easy solution is to put some of neutral passives to level 1. Like toughness, or weapons, or defenses.

There is problem that some classes dont really have abilities total. Like Priest, have very little spells, and they are not even that good, so it is hard time decide what to do with 28 points.

There is issue with Priest, Druid, Wizard, that you can sink 28 points into spells know, but it will not change your spell cast. You might as well 2x spell from deity per level.

One solution is to give Priest, Druid, Wizard line of passives +1 spell cast on this level.

Other solution is to give more sofisticated passives like Wizard Mastery in Magical weapons (rods, scepters, wands)

More solution is to create more neutral passives (avaiable to everyone) which will be either new, or small effect of what classes could do. It is better to take small effect, than another spell which i am not goint to cast.

Choice is nice.

More solution is to change Priest Deity to affect Holy Radiance. Like Magran will deal more fire dmg, but eothas will blind enemies... staff like that.

The next problem is double pooling. If classes are similar it is more effective to have 2x9 pools than 1x11. So multiclass could just use more favorite abilities.

Solution is to add at level 8 and 9 passives Pool Master/Grandmastery  each giving +3 of our favorite resource.

Ranger need more Legendary Pet passive at high level, so it will be relevant to geared up fighter.

If OE could do 10 new abilities better dedicate them to classes which need them most. (and it is not monk)

Some subclasses already work better in MC. Like Shifter is better with martial class, or Soulblade.

Edited by evilcat

I feel like this is a great idea for Pillars of Eternity 3, if such a thing ever comes. Single class characters would also need a unique skill to make it fair. That being said it'd be quite a difficult request, there wouldn't be a new skill for every subclass combination of course because that would be ridiculous, but you would still need to make sure that each of these skills is functional with any subclass it could be paired with. Doable, but tough, and probably difficult to balance. Not to mention even with just 1 skill per class/multiclass, there'd be enough new skills across the board that they could have made a few brand new classes with them, that's the amount of effort we're talking about here.

Still, I think it's a neat idea that would make your multiclass feel more like an actual thing, and not just two single classes clumped together. It would also give you a little something to make you feel rewarded for going as a single class.   

In theory I like it. 

Edited by Riftis

Are you only thinking about it on a class combo level or on the subclass combo level?  Honestly, it'd take a lot more work to come up with unique abilities for every single potential subclass/subclass MC combo.  And even with just doing it on the higher main class level, I think that it'd require being certain that the ability didn't really go against the possible subclass' themes.

Still, it is an interesting idea, though i don't know how viable it is.

I never looked at them as subclasses because that specific term was already coined in the game according to them as being a single class that has a very unique theme already setup for it, like a shifter is a Druid who is uniquely focused on their spirit forms. My idea only focuses on the Primary classes involved in the combination. I'm not even sure why you'd even consider the subclasses in this case as they are purely optional. 

But Why?

The whole point and benefit is built-in already. You get abilities from both classes.

If anything single classes need the special skills to set them apart since they don't get the choices from two classes. And what's funny is they do get the special skills in a way since only single classes get access to the highest power level skills.