PotD Solo Build Guide - Herlad / War Caller aka "Sword Singer"

Once you have Brilliant Inspiration you can keep Unbending Trunk forever, drop con/res to 3 and ignore all healing/defensive abilities/items. The paladin can basically do the same because he will just spam heals instead (with FoD).

Disagree on Undending. It's absolutely useless on this build. You have so much healing that there is no point wasting 1 ability point on this one and 3 resources point to activate it. At point of Brilliant inspiration you just kill things faster than it can damage you and both of those builds have crazy self heals already. Not to mention with that builds you have 2x Second Wind which can heal you from 0-100 instantly.

Unbending is a waste on those builds. You can already ignore at that point all healing/defensive abilities as you kill things so fast you don't waste time on tanking anything.

Once you have Brilliant Inspiration you can keep Unbending Trunk forever, drop con/res to 3 and ignore all healing/defensive abilities/items. The paladin can basically do the same because he will just spam heals instead (with FoD).

Disagree on Undending. It's absolutely useless on this build. You have so much healing that there is no point wasting 1 ability point on this one and 3 resources point to activate it. At point of Brilliant inspiration you just kill things faster than it can damage you and both of those builds have crazy self heals already. Not to mention with that builds you have 2x Second Wind which can heal you from 0-100 instantly.

Unbending is a waste on those builds. You can already ignore at that point all healing/defensive abilities as you kill things so fast you don't waste time on tanking anything.

Well you can disagree, but Vigorous Defense, Refreshing Defense, Determination are a waste of points as are all items with +%healing or damage reduction once you have Unbending - instead you can use items to increase your offensive power which is the main advantage of this class combo (maybe you can kill fast weak enemies, but your solo dps is not as good as  a monk, a rogue or a cypher). Misscreant's Leather, Bone Setters Torc, Chameleon's Touch, Aegor's Swit Touch, Violet Redemption, Cutthroat Cosmo are great items which can increase your dps even further. Also instead of investing points into athletics you can put your points in alchemy for better drugs/potions and even more offense, and of course use only offensive chants...

Well you can disagree, but Vigorous Defense, Refreshing Defense, Determination are a waste of points as are all items with +%healing or damage reduction once you have Unbending - instead you can use items to increase your offensive power which is the main advantage of this class combo (maybe you can kill fast weak enemies, but your solo dps is not as good as  a monk, a rogue or a cypher). Misscreant's Leather, Bone Setters Torc, Chameleon's Touch, Aegor's Swit Touch, Violet Redemption, Cutthroat Cosmo are great items which can increase your dps even further. Also instead of investing points into athletics you can put your points in alchemy for better drugs/potions and even more offense, and of course use only offensive chants...

As i said- at point of the game - when you get Brilliant, it does not matter at all anymore. You can switch out Vig.Defense and Refreshing Defense and Determination but nothing that you will take instead of that is needed or will change anything at this point.

Unbending is also not necessary. Level VII is peak power of this build. One you can have infinite resources- it just does not matter at all. Sure you can drop Vig. Def and Ref. Def and take.... what? Improved Critical and Weapon Specialization. Sure you can- but you deal so much damage at this poit that extra 10% dmg and 10% crit damage will change nothing.

I covered abilities that are useful till you get to Level VII. Unbending is not. And after Level VII- there will be no difference.

But hey- anyone build as he prefers :)

As i said- at point of the game - when you get Brilliant, it does not matter at all anymore. You can switch out Vig.Defense and Refreshing Defense and Determination but nothing that you will take instead of that is needed or will change anything at this point.

Unbending is also not necessary. Level VII is peak power of this build. One you can have infinite resources- it just does not matter at all. Sure you can drop Vig. Def and Ref. Def and take.... what? Improved Critical and Weapon Specialization. Sure you can- but you deal so much damage at this poit that extra 10% dmg and 10% crit damage will change nothing.

I covered abilities that are useful till you get to Level VII. Unbending is not. And after Level VII- there will be no difference.

But hey- anyone build as he prefers :)

Nothing wrong with picking the best abilities as you level up. It was just constructive criticism about the end game and the potential of this class combo. 

does unbending + Mercy and Kindness = 100% dmg healed aka never die unless they kill u in one hit or have healing reduction?

Yes, but you don't need Mercy and Kindness at all. Unbending Trunks heals you for 75% of the damage taken which means with 21+Mig (ie +33% healing) you will always be healed for 100%...

does unbending + Mercy and Kindness = 100% dmg healed aka never die unless they kill u in one hit or have healing reduction?

Yes, but as Kaylon said- it's not needed. Mercy works best with healing chants, especially with party. But it also is boosting rapid recovery so much that it will heal you like crazy.

so if i dont get 

Yes, but as Kaylon said- it's not needed. Mercy works best with healing chants, especially with party. But it also is boosting rapid recovery so much that it will heal you like crazy.

do if i dont get unbending do i just do Mercy and Kindness + old siec or mercy + ancient?

so if i dont get 

do if i dont get unbending do i just do Mercy and Kindness + old siec or mercy + ancient?

You can but at this point it won't matter once you have Brilliant from invocation. You can just go Mercy and Kindness + Mith Fyr or anything else as Rapid Recovery, your Armor + (if Herald) Fod / Lay on Hands will heal you like crazy. You also have 2x Second Wind with my build.

Really don't think too much about Mercy and Kindness at that level :D.

Is going for sabers really the best for Devoted/Troubadour? Scordeo's Edge is nice, but you get it at the end of the game. After receiving the weapon there were only 3 ship battles, the "end boss" + 2 smaller fights. So to benefit from the weapon longer you need to rush the main quest and ignore everything else.

Is going for sabers really the best for Devoted/Troubadour? Scordeo's Edge is nice, but you get it at the end of the game. After receiving the weapon there were only 3 ship battles, the "end boss" + 2 smaller fights. So to benefit from the weapon longer you need to rush the main quest and ignore everything else.

You don't need that saber, there are a lot of good ones already.

I know that there are other "good" sabers, but the "very good" swords and rapiers are far earlier accessible. So now I consider: 1) stick to sabers, 2) go for swords, 3) go for rapiers, 4) drop devoted for base class fighter and mix all weapons.

Its a difficult decision (atleast for me ;)), because I don't know if I can get all desired weapons (for example: I didn't get the sword Kapana Taga in my last playthrough although I killed Fyrgist in this game).

I know that there are other "good" sabers, but the "very good" swords and rapiers are far earlier accessible. So now I consider: 1) stick to sabers, 2) go for swords, 3) go for rapiers, 4) drop devoted for base class fighter and mix all weapons.

Its a difficult decision (atleast for me ;)), because I don't know if I can get all desired weapons (for example: I didn't get the sword Kapana Taga in my last playthrough although I killed Fyrgist in this game).

Hey Man. As you said - best is to rush main quest to get Scordeo and then enjoy it for the rest of the game. There are other great Sabers like Sasha's for example https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99883-all-unique-sabers-in-game-spoiler-of-items/ 

However if you want to stick to Swords, it's also great. Modwyr and Duskfall can be obtained super early and make great combo. For Modwyr just go Old CIty, get it, then go to pirate Island and talk to owner of Modwyr and say you want to keep her (so she is enchanted max) and  for Duskfall just do peaceful solution between 2 families in Neketaka.

You have to decide here :)

• Like 1

RE: The unbending discussion above; it's true that you don't need it, but you can literally auto the game if you get it. There simply aren't enough "necessary" abilities in the build to not take it for the part of the game where you don't have the full package yet. 

It lasts for more than 30 seconds with the amount of INT you get on this build and has no activation time. It's the ultimate lazy ability :p I didn't take the upgraded version; the base unbending does the job just fine with might and the passive healing. Anything that doesn't literally one-shot immediately heals to full. 

Hey Man. As you said - best is to rush main quest to get Scordeo and then enjoy it for the rest of the game. There are other great Sabers like Sasha's for example https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99883-all-unique-sabers-in-game-spoiler-of-items/ 

However if you want to stick to Swords, it's also great. Modwyr and Duskfall can be obtained super early and make great combo. For Modwyr just go Old CIty, get it, then go to pirate Island and talk to owner of Modwyr and say you want to keep her (so she is enchanted max) and  for Duskfall just do peaceful solution between 2 families in Neketaka.

You have to decide here :)

Thanks, I think I will go for Devoted with swords.

By the way: Duskfall can be obtained in all endings for the family feud quest. If you side with Valera you get it as a quest reward and if you side with Bardatto you get it as a drop on killing the Valeras. If you side with Valera first and then kill them you even can get two copies of Duskfall. I prefer the deadlier approach because then you can finish the vault quest (which locks you out of the peaceful solution) - this also gives you easier access to the treasure chamber.

Hope things will be brighter after scared immolation receives its fix.

And pal no beacon? Well I guess we do need most resource being spent on FoD spams.

Reason for no beacon is that I just had better things to grab :D. And also beacon is good if you want to do combo Beacon + Seven Nights or increase even more that single target damage. So feel free to take it if you think you won't miss anything else.

I just prefered to spam 2 more FoD in time it takes to cast beacon.

Beacon = dps loss. That sungrazer video is hilarious, shows how broken monk is combined with any dps builds ;)

Triggering ineed but without that full burn damage build it wouldn't do as much dmg as it does on video.

Too many things trigger on abilities they should not :D

• Like 1

Where did you manage to pick up Kapana Taga? The wiki says Fyegist but I've killed him like 3 times and it hasnt dropped, unclear if I'm in the wrong direction or there are other factors?

Either way I love the builds!

Where did you manage to pick up Kapana Taga? The wiki says Fyegist but I've killed him like 3 times and it hasnt dropped, unclear if I'm in the wrong direction or there are other factors?

looks like it's random. one time i sank his ship and got it, next time i boarded it and didn't get it (got a lot of vanilla legendary gear though)

From this pirate. Dunno, maybe it's random? Save before you go to his area and maybe try couple more times?

Or maybe you need to have some bounty/quest for him? Don't remember....

Chanter really get a free pass on the balance front. On the other hand, they have to justify abilities that need warmup, especially for team runs.

Nice guide btw.

Chanter is strong but before level VII he is really not spectacularly strong. I think till Level VII he is one of the most balanced and interesting classes to play. I still think personally that his Level VII is not OP at all, but I know many do.

Far more broken are Fighters, Monks and believe it or not- Wizards with their empower spells. 

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1