PotD Solo Build Guide - Herlad / War Caller aka "Sword Singer"

Meet Elaina:

R4r3CXK.png

Class:

War Caller:   Devoted (Sabers or Swords. I highly recommend sabers) / Troubadour

or

Herald:          Pladain Kind Wayfarer/ Troubadour.

Introduction:

Why I cover both? Because they are built pretty much the same and work simillar. The difference is Fighter covers AOE damage at cost of spending resources a lot, while Paladin has cheap resources and single target damage potential and lack of AOE but you are pretty much immortal with Lay on Hands, Greater Lay On Hands and White Flames FoD.

Both pretty much can reach insanse Defense ratings (though Paladin with have better Deflection) and damage. Paladin carry better early game while Fighter carry better late game when you have that Mob Stance + Charge.

Why Troubadour?- with high INT and normal chanting you can linger chants pretty much premanent and have two effects all the time on you. Which is great to combo offensive + defensive chant or 2 healing ones etc.

With Brisk Recitation Turn on - you can still cast 2 healing chants and be tanky or one offensive or defensive ability (like Mith Fyr or Her Courage) and gaining Phrases at rate no other Chanter can. Even Sklad -1 cost to offensive chants fall later in game when you get 1 Phrase every 3 sec on Brisket Recitation on. He is also thanks to that most flexible- you can stack buffs or spam invocations faster- just adapt to what you need.

Why these Multiclasses? They combine very well damage, control, summoning (very helpful on solo) and tankiness. Troubadour is great for melee class and gave me that nice "Sword Singer" roleplay feeling for my sexy elf.

Build:

c3RLioc.png

Stats: I went with Might 18, Dex 9 (10), Per 17 (18), Con 6, INT 18, Resolve 7.

Reason for that being: Hight Might for high healing and damage. Perception for accuracy + seeing traps, low con because so much healing I didn't care, High INT because Linger on Chanter and buffs duration. Low Resolve because it doesn't really help that much. CC spells/abilities are worse enemy than damage.

Race: Pale Elf - pure for roleplay reason. You can go Moon Goldlike for War Caller for additional healing early game or for Nature Godlik for +2 Power for both or Human for early game procing of Fighting Spirit. Both builds are so tanky you can pick whatever race you want and have a great fun with it.

Skills: I invested in Althetics for high Second Wind healing (especially on War Caller it was useful) and in History for that sweet stacking bonus to all defensives from The Giftbearer's Cloth (Unique Cloak) which gives +5 to all defenses apart from Deflection and stacks with History.

Equipment:

I aimed at everything that lowers Recovery if possible and boost damage/defenses or give some nice effects for solo. With Devoted I was quite restricted to Sabers but Paladin could get some good combos with weapons.

Helemet: Fair Favor - 15% Hits to Crit and 20% more Crit Damage with Sabers, Rapiers, Daggers, Silletos and Sword.

Belt: Undying Burden: +1 Athletics (good), grants another Second Wind (double super heal!), and reduce incoming damage by 10% and stack the lower your HP is up to 30%. On top of that +2 CON.

Amulet: anything that gives +1/2 Intellect.

Armor: Devil of Caroc breastplate- offers great balance between protection and recovery. Gives -20% Recovery (leave it at 15% Revovery only instead of 35%), +2 Max Power Pool (so +2 Resources), Short Health regen and depending on how you enchant it: resistant to CON, DEX and MIGHT Afflictions or INT, PER and RES afflictions. I went with first as DEX afflictions are imo worst and for INT I can always equip Modwyr if needed. Also I wont lie- I went for look too :D :D

Tip: If you want to go for heavier armors make sure to grab Armored Grace from Fighter passives (give -25% recovery on heavy armors)

Rings: Ring of the Solitary Wonderer: -35% duration to enemy effects on you when you solo and Entonia Signet Ring = +3 to all defenses (stacks 5 times) = +15 to all defenses.

Cloak: The Giftbearer's Cloth as mentioned earlier stacks defenses with History skill. Super strong. If you feel you lack Deflection you can either go Deflection Cloak + Grabbing Superior Deflection from Fighter Passives. On Paladin you totally don't need that :D

Hands: Gatecrashers. +2 Might, 50% Chance for Knockdown. Got later a few more but I was strong enough I didn't bother to swap....

For Fighter you may want Bracers of Greater Deflection as they give +7 Deflection which is something our Fighter has lower than Paldin.

Pet: I went with extra 15% Healing done and healing on kill (Cat Pet I belive).

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+1 cast with Priest spell- useless, but +2 Dex and 15% more Healing done).

Weapons:

For War Caller (Devoted/Troubadour) I went with those in the end:

dUVR8II.png

It gave me stacking Accuracy and Crit Chance with hits. NOW HERE IS BIG THING: BLADE CASCADE ON SCOREDO SABER: It's 10% Chance on Hit to ignore Recovery for 0.0 sec. HOWEVER - this is base duration and it scales with INT. So for me on 20/21 INT it was 4.4 SEC!!! Enough to make 4-5 Charges without any Recovery. And it procs (as all effect on HIT) with Charge and Cleave, so the more people you hit, the more chance you have to proc it. This is absolutely best saber for Devoted in game. Ignoring Recovery is just OP.

Every "Effect on Hit" is procing per one hit- so Full attack with two weapons proc it two times, so Charge being full attack will proc it two times per enemy hit. So if you have +2 Accuracy per hit and you Charge through 5 enemies that is +10 Accuracy after one charge.  Cleave also being full attack around works the same. Same with +2% Crit Chance per Hit etc etc. So every effect on hit works best with Fighter due to Full Attacks on AOE. Hence why ALWAYS DUAL WIELD WITH FIGHTER.

Also Sabers and Sword are safe because there is quite a lot of unique ones and you can get a lot of them early. Double Rapiers however are awesome (one is below) as second unique Rapier also gives -20% Action speed which combined with below rapier when facing 3 enemies at last gives -50% Recovery. But second rapier is later in game and Squid is expensive to buy.

For Herald (Kind Wayfarer/Troubadour) I went more flexible combo as I was not limited by Devoted choice (However above sabres combo is still super strong for Herald, especialyl Scordeo Sword + Kapana Taga):

52Foylp.png

This was great combo as Squid Gave me immunity to flanking (Kapana Taga also does it), and grants Attempted Parley which is -30% Recovery when threatened by at least 3 enemies. Which on solo is 99% of time. It also gives Evade. Kapana has huge Alpha damage and stacks 5% Melee Damage per enemy so for solo it also gave huge melee boost.

Before I got Kapana I was running with Modwyr:

41o6w7A.png

Abilities- I will list most crucial abilities to pick for Fighter and Paladin and Troubadour. Rest you can change for what you like:

Fighter:

- Disciplined Barrage, because later we upgrade that to Disciplined Strikes (+ Concentration) which gives 15% Hits to Crit which stacks great with our Saber and Helmet

- Two Weapon Style

- Fighter Stances

- Determination (very good defensive boost early in game, later you can swap that)

- I thought Hold The Line is good, but since 99% of time there were much more enemies on me than two I went without it and grabbed Rapid Recovery which was good decision

- Vigorous Defense (+Concentration) - +20 to all defenses... yes.

- Charge - your main damage dealer since this point.
- Mob Stance - this is where real fun begins :D

- Refreshing Defense (good for saving resources)

- For Level VII- whatever really. I took Power Strike for fun

Paladin:

- Lay on Hands

- Retribution (works great on solo as you are constantly hit and combos well with Kapana

- Sworn Enemy

- Deep Faith (perma +21 to all defenses, just be nice to people)

- Zealous Aura

- Two Weapons Style

- Sworn Rival - one of best, if marked enemy dies it returns cost, which pretty much means Sworn Rival is for free now.

- Optional - You could grab Eternal Devotion for that 10% dmg lash, but 10% is really low. It combines well later with 15% from Mith Fyr though. But still till you get Mith Fyr 10% might not be worth it.

- Combat Focus (Concestration is important, later about it)

- Either Exalted Focus or Endurance. If you go Focus, grab also Uncanny Luck for +10% Hits to Crit which with Helemt will give you 25% Hits to Crit. If Endurance grab Practiced Healer for even more healing. Or get both.
- Level VI skip (we are soon Level VII for Chanter so you don't anything here)

- Level VII- Stoic Steel. With Paladin you stand a lot in middle of crowd. You are not mobile like Fighter.

Troubadour:

- Skeletons- they will serve you for long. They are great.
- Soft Wind - one of your 2 healing sources from early to almost end game.

- Optional: Dull Edge - it can be very useful on War Caller in early game. Most enemies you will face have either Slash or Pierce damage and this reduce that by 10 points which is very good. Just Linger it with Soft Wind. Not that necessary on Herald.

- Level II - for War Caller take At The Sound of His Voice (Paralyze), it's good for maxing Cleave Stance crit chance vs group of enemies. For Paladin I strongly recommend this too but you should take White Worms. Since you have no AOE damage, but super strong single target burst- you can very fast create a corpse and use White Worms on it for AOE damage. Corpse does not dissapear after cast so you can use same corpse as many times as you want. You will need that AOE. Gernics Slew are absolutely phenomenal summons and you can switch Skeletons for them later if you want. I love having 3 small dragons with me :D

- Level III, upgrade to Skeletons is good but only if you empower them (I always empower my summons) as they last long and once your big skeletons die and small skeletons will fight, you can cast skeletons again and it will Summon big ones but with small ones still fighting!. Grab Ancient Memory though for sure. Now those two together on Troubadour, no matter if in Linger (stronger healing as they stack) or in Brisk (weaker but still great), they will heal you a lot.
- Level IV- Mith Fyr is good sekf buff chant. Also good is The Bridgeman Slew as with high INT you will have super long duration of this buff and works also on your summons.  The Charm invocation The Lover Cried Out is not that long (around 13 seconds with 20 INT) but it's quite good as it allows you to have that extra "minion" on battlefield (or couple since it's cone attack) to distract enemies. But since you have summons it's not that necessary. But it's fun! Also very good Chant is The Silver Knights Shield as with Troubadour Linger when Combined with Mith Fyr it gives you perma +10 Deflection, +1 enemies engaged and 15% Burn Lash. Since with 20 INT they linger permanently you have both effect at once.

- Level V- Nothing really good here, you can skip this and focus on other subclass on this Level. Her Courage chant works good with Troubadour as it gives you 10 dmg shield per 3 sec on Brisket Recitation however it doesn't really beat 2 healing Chants so it's not that good. Summoning Drake is fun but imo not worth over Skeletons or Wurms, Seven Nights is strong too (if you take it, ditch out White Worms for something else!). Since you should already be very tanky- just take what you find most fun. All 3 will work great. I took Seven Nights just for fun, but you can just skip it.

- Level VI- Their Companion is ok (but cast is long) but not worth imo over The Bridgeman. Though +2 Penetration help your summons. Each Kill Fed His Fury is good upgrade. But again- you can also skip Level VI simillar to Level V if you don't find any good here.
- Level VII- Mercy and Kindness chant is great. But most important here is Set to Their Purpouse as you can now recover 1 Resource per 3 sec, finally going full with your warrior/paladin abilities. - This is were you go full power of this multiclasses :) Just take it first! cast it and just Charge, Charge, Charge and use your fav invocations. You have to respec here to grab The Bridge Cought Their Ruse from Level V so you can take Set to Their Purpouse. You can take it earlier ofc but it's useless without it's Level VII upgrade.

General Tips and Strategy:

1. Early game: focus on healing chant/chants going on in normal mode so they can linger on Fighter. Important thing: try to always Summon empowered skeletons/other summon at first. Empowered will last longer and be strong, usually long enough so you can clear a lot of enemies. Try to summon them little in front so they can either flank enemis in front or move to back to target casters/rangers. Also take your party members, rob them and then leave/kill them.

On War Caller it's important to use Disclplied Strikes or Vig.Defenses before you start cast (or both if a lot of strong range enemies) this will give you 1 or 2 Concentration, enough to secure summoning.

Sworn Enemy is also instant cast, so after that you have not recovery on next attack/action so always spam that once you have Sworn Rival. Whatever you attack, use Sworn Rival first as enemy death will get cost back anyway.

Paladin is straight foward- heals on, aura on, tank and burst single enemy- white worms, rise repeat. Use Evade from Rapier to get to ranger/mage if needed.

2. Mid Game. Fighter once you get Cleave Stance and Charge- try to line enemies and target weakest one for innitial burst. Once you charge through them, check their HP and charge to the one who you have chacne to kill fast, this will trigget Cleave, which can maybe kill someone again and so on. Fighter is more resources Hungry, but Cleave helps so much in Speeding fights on solo. Penetration strike is useless waste of resources imo, better ignore it. It's more important to keep Disciplined Strikes up or use Charge.

Paladin- nothing is changed here. You tank, burst single target, cast AOE dmg invocation to help your-self and tank all day. You are pretty much immortal.

With Giftbearer's Cloth + High History + Paladin Passive or Fighter Vig. Defenses you can reach sky-high defenses and be pretty much untouchable by CC and effect (and Lone Wonderer Ring will cut any hostile durations by 35%). On Paladin I also recommend grabbing Modwyr as fast as possible. With Summons it should not be a problem. Then go to Pirate Island on North West and talk to Y-something woman and tell your sword you love it/want it to stay etc. and you have super strong sword. Combine that early with Sowrd of Yenwood and you are good to go.

3. Troubadour Chants and invocaton usage:

Generally I start every combat with popping Concentration (or 2) on Fighter and that is why I took Combat Focus on Paladin- I summon empowered summons. If you use Sasha's Sabre and enchanted it to give you back full Phrases after empowering invocation (you should) you can then follow up with Paralyze to set up higher chance for damage, give yourself some room or just get to crucial target. Try to Summon little in front of you so you can either direct summon on range enemies or on back of melee enemies that engaged you. 

Of course you can go full offensive way with Troubadour and ignore other invocations, but on PotD solo enemies can interrupt you quite a lot so all invocations with casting time have a risk of being cut. You can also totally ignore all invocation (but take summons!) and just go full chants for debuffs/buffs.

As for Chants- if you use Sasha's I usually start on normal linger mode to stack healing in case I face greater burst then I thought. Since after summoning empowered allies I have phrases back I can then cast some other important invocation. After that if I see that I don't take too much dmg I switch to Brisk Recitation to get Phrases faster while maintaining 2 healing Chants or 1 other Chant, like defensive one - Her Courage (don't use it without Brisk) or offensive one- Mith Fyr. You can brisk Her Courage with Mith Fyr as usually when you recover you should have Her Courage up and when you attack- Mith Fyr. 

4. Late Game -  You can just go Mith Fyr, Set to Their Purpose and Anihilate enemies with Charge+Cleve on Fighter. Or just run Old Siec as Chant for life leech + Mercy. Paladin will sadly slow down here a lot vs War Caller but you can still spam FoD all the time with Set to Their Purpouse on so no big deal  :)

Overall both are grat Sword Singer classes. Solo was enjoyable and there was a lot of fun with Chantas, Summons, Invocations and melee fights. Also both does not require certain race, though if you feel you struggle with War Caller a lot a Moonlike might be good option.

Hope this will help some people :)

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 8

Hey man, nice guide! Interesting build! 

I am new here, just bought game and was looking for some build to play :), as I felt pretty overwhelmed with multiclass combinations!

Which one of above (Herald or War Caller) would work better with party? I don't really want to solo this game but I guess not much will change for those builds if I play with companions?

Also-  I will borrow portrait :p. How do you put custom portraits inside game??

Interesting. It was 80% same info as I saw on a Warcaller hour long video yesterday, so I'm glad you included the Herald build too. 

My suggestion would be to mention something about the gears perhaps, how you need to resolve the Devil of Caroc's questline in a certain way or the breastplate won't be in the game.

This build (both variations) is definitely god tier, though the 'real' fun begins at level 19, so be prepared for that.

Edited by Clerith

Interesting. It was 80% same info as I saw on a Warcaller hour long video yesterday, so I'm glad you included the Herald build too. 

My suggestion would be to mention something about the gears perhaps, how you need to resolve the Devil of Caroc's questline in a certain way or the breastplate won't be in the game.

This build (both variations) is definitely god tier, though the 'real' fun begins at level 19, so be prepared for that.

Thanks! I will probably write about Devil, just didn't have time.

Yeah, it's not most OP build and you area really super strong at Level 19, but this is (near max level) where you suppose to feel super strong in RPGs so nothing new here :D

Nice build, pritty similar to the one i have =D i dual wield pistol/blunderbuss instead tho (herald). Wonder why you go athletics instead of alch? I meen don´t you overheal if you go full out on athletics? I guess you go 8 mechanics but still with pritty low atletics (maby 10) you prob heal enuff to heal max, but with alch or arcana you can get good buffs/heals ontop of atletics. I guess incrsing athletics enuff to heal maby 70% of your hp (shoud prob not allow yourself to go lower) and rest in alch (pot´s seems more powerfull the scrolls). If you use the blessing that give u +2 in all class skills you coud get alch pritty high.

I meen you got LOADS of cash when soloing so why not use it on pots?

Nice build, pritty similar to the one i have =D i dual wield pistol/blunderbuss instead tho (herald). Wonder why you go athletics instead of alch? I meen don´t you overheal if you go full out on athletics? I guess you go 8 mechanics but still with pritty low atletics (maby 10) you prob heal enuff to heal max, but with alch or arcana you can get good buffs/heals ontop of atletics. I guess incrsing athletics enuff to heal maby 70% of your hp (shoud prob not allow yourself to go lower) and rest in alch (pot´s seems more powerfull the scrolls). If you use the blessing that give u +2 in all class skills you coud get alch pritty high.

I meen you got LOADS of cash when soloing so why not use it on pots?

Heh, personal thing- If I need to use pots/drugs (at least too much) I don't consider my solo build effective :p. I just never found a reason to use pots.

Where do you get Min's Fortune? I don't even know if i got it ... I missed some items.

It's in the Old City in north east corner. There lies a body surrounded by a lot of "fat undead" bodies. You have to loot the body to get it and then... survive :D

Hi, I did not play solo but very interested in bar/chanter which one cause more dps end game between fighter/chanter or bar/chanter?

Today I try two handed sword and love the damage output when crit . Is it possible to use two handed in these build?

Thanks for great build !! I will modify some attrib to suit my party

Hi, I did not play solo but very interested in bar/chanter which one cause more dps end game between fighter/chanter or bar/chanter?

Today I try two handed sword and love the damage output when crit . Is it possible to use two handed in these build?

Fighter's Charge is pretty much better than anything Barbarian has, and Fighter has much better defensive buffs. It's possible to use 2hs, but they're significantly weaker, since you're spamming full attacks all over the place.

Fextaralife channel on youtube?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99383-class-build-devotedtroubadour-infinite-resources/

Not fextralife lol, those videos are okay introductions to classes for complete newcomers, but not what I'd call actual guides.

I am new here, just bought game and was looking for some build to play :), as I felt pretty overwhelmed with multiclass combinations!

Which one of above (Herald or War Caller) would work better with party? I don't really want to solo this game but I guess not much will change for those builds if I play with companions?

Hey, with party as main healer- Paladin. As main tank- both, but paladin more. As front line damage dealer- War Caller. But both will work well.

CUSTOM PORTAIT GUIDE: http://www.notra.fr/portrait - Clock on POE and then create portaits.

You put custom portaits using this site above to create two portaits from whatever image you want, one large (_lg) and one small (_sm).

You then put them into folder: Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\gui\portraits\player (female/male subfolder)

POE2 however use two more portaits in game, one for dialogues windows and one for another. So take your _lg one and make copy of it and name _convo and also make copy of _sm and name it _si. Put all 4 into above folder (either male or female) and you have custom portait.

Important: or four images (_lg, _sm, _convo, _si) must have same name before endings so for example (Malebrute_lg, Malebrute_sm, Malebrute_convo, Malebrute_si)

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

Hey, with party as main healer- Paladin. As main tank- both, but paladin more. As front line damage dealer- War Caller. But both will work well.

CUSTOM PORTAIT GUIDE: http://www.notra.fr/portrait - Clock on POE and then create portaits.

You put custom portaits using this site above to create two portaits from whatever image you want, one large (_lg) and one small (_sm).

You then put them into folder: Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\gui\portraits\player (female/male subfolder)

POE2 however use two more portaits in game, one for dialogues windows and one for another. So take your _lg one and make copy of it and name _convo and also make copy of _sm and name it _si. Put all 4 into above folder (either male or female) and you have custom portait.

Important: or four images (_lg, _sm, _convo, _si) must have same name before endings so for example (Malebrute_lg, Malebrute_sm, Malebrute_convo, Malebrute_si)

Wow! Thank for portrait guide! :) I started as Herald on PotD, but with party. So far, so good. Healing is great

UPDATE!:

I updated Sabers for Scoredo's Edge "Blade Cascade" enchant effect! It's great enchant on sabers for Fighter/Devoted. With High INT it gives ZERO RECOVERY for 4.5-5 sec on everything if proc! More in my first post under "Weapons".

Also explained how Effects on Hit works with Dual Wield and Full Attacks.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

UPDATE!:

I updated Sabers for Scoredo's Edge "Blade Cascade" enchant effect! It's great enchant on sabers for Fighter/Devoted. With High INT it gives ZERO RECOVERY for 4.5-5 sec on everything if proc! More in my first post under "Weapons".

Also explained how Effects on Hit works with Dual Wield and Full Attacks.

Where do you get this saber btw?

Thanks for this build! I'm about to try it out solo (as a Herald) with the Paladin Unofficial Patch (Minor Buffs and Sacred Immolation self dmg fix) mod. I guess I'll find out soon enough whether the build works well with the slight buffs and nerfs in the mod.  :w00t:

Edit: After about 6 hours of play, it didn't seem like the mod changed very much at the early levels and may have contributed to crashes so I got rid of it. I love the build. There were some pretty challenging encounters on PotD solo for the first 5 levels that required I use some consumables, food bonuses, item purchases, etc. After playing up to level 6 on PotD with a full party I'm liking this solo run much better.

Edited by interbeing

Hey Voltron, I made an account for the exclusive ability to thank you! I bought poe2 and quickly went into analysis paralysis for character creation. I spent several days NOT playing the game because of it. Your post was just what I needed to really get going having fun. Maybe next time I'll incorporate more characters but I'm truly enjoying this solo run on veteran difficulty. 

It took me a while to figure out I can just spam skeletons (recently got the upgrade) with brisk mode and that helped me through some of the worst encounters so far. I'm staying pretty tight to the build (paladin version) but maybe I'll branch out on future characters. Loving all this healing and regeneration. Thanks again, you made this game for me.

Hey Voltron, I made an account for the exclusive ability to thank you! I bought poe2 and quickly went into analysis paralysis for character creation. I spent several days NOT playing the game because of it. Your post was just what I needed to really get going having fun. Maybe next time I'll incorporate more characters but I'm truly enjoying this solo run on veteran difficulty. 

It took me a while to figure out I can just spam skeletons (recently got the upgrade) with brisk mode and that helped me through some of the worst encounters so far. I'm staying pretty tight to the build (paladin version) but maybe I'll branch out on future characters. Loving all this healing and regeneration. Thanks again, you made this game for me.

Nice To hear it! If that will help- I started POE2 15 times before I got settled on Chanter/Melee hybrids. With Paladin you will be pretty much immortal later, especially if you took kind wayfarer or the shieldbearer subclass (Which combos nicely with Sacred Immolation).

Once you get to level VII (I know, quite late) and you will use on yourself "Set to Their Purpouse" you can use Sacred Immolation on yourself no problem as you will constatly have resources back for Lay on Hands to heal yourself no problem.

Btw.  Another item you may want to get (I will updat above later) is rifle Dragon's Dowry (can be bought in Neketaka in Brass Citdadel from Uto)- it gives ability called Blazing Furry which gives -75% Recovery for 30 seconds (more with higher INT). You can use it at the beginning of combat (this buff) and switch to melee and still have that buff going.

Also if you'd like to use Two-Handed Weapon instead of Dual Wielding early (before you get unique Sabres/Swords/Rapiers), the best what you can do is use Whispers of the Endless Paths early in game (take shards to blacksmith in Neketaka)- it will give you AOE melee damage in cone (something that Paladins lacks), however your FOD will suffer from lower DPS but you can always switch to different weapons when needed.

If you'd like to branch out later for different build- you can do it using Mod without having to start game from new. That's how I test new builds. If you will need it- reach me on PM.

Edited by Voltron

Haha Katalysta, I signed up mainly for that same reason. I'm level 9 now on the Herald and having a blast. I just got the paralysis song to go along with upgraded skeletons and it was a huge power spike for the character.

Glad to hear it you have a fun :). White Worms will give that AOE damage later when you level up. Later in game you can swap Skeletons for Gernics Slew (3 wurms) or have both summons as level 1 and 3 doesn't offer really any other good invocations anyway.

Buy yourself (as I mentioned in my post when replying to Katalysta) Dragon's Dowyr for that Blaze Furry buff at the beginning of fight before you switch to mele weapons - it's a huge dps boost for Herald. Goes really well with Scorpedo Sabre + Modwyr/what you like.

Have fun!

Edited by Voltron

I think the highest sustain DPS class in the game will be a fighter/streetfighter. 

The reason is pretty simple. Fighter for engagement slots, streetfighter for perma -50% recovery. Stacking all the recovery bonuses you can get, you can turn your character into a whirlwind. Throw that saber with the 0 recovery time proc on top of it, and nothing, NOTHING is going to swing faster. It will be ludicrous. 

Between those two definitely Fighter. Charge + Cleave stance offers much more AOE Dps than Carnage, which is alone not impressive.

You can use Two-Handed you will deal more damage from auto attacks but you will lose a lot of damage from Full Attacks (Charge, Flames of Devotion, Cleave Stance, Penetrating Strike) as dual weapons hit two times for those vs one hit from two-handed.

So for Devoted I would still recommend dual wield, but for Paladin you can always switch or respec as you are not binded by that 1st level pick as Devoted is. So definitely try them out

Edited by Voltron

Once you have Brilliant Inspiration you can keep Unbending Trunk forever, drop con/res to 3 and ignore all healing/defensive abilities/items. The paladin can basically do the same because he will just spam heals instead (with FoD).