Regarding buffs, what exactly counts as "ally"? 

Are Chanter summons "ally"? Or just party members.

Are creatures fighting on your side "allies" or not because they don't have green circle around them and you can't control them? This is the case, for example, with Charmed creatures.

A lot of tooltips that say “ally” also include the caster. It is really unclear now; it used to be that “friendly AOE” included the caster and “allied” didn’t, but now many include the caster too. For example, many of the paladin powers also help the paladin where they didn’t in POE1. I wish POE2 better explained which are actually only allies and which affect both allies and caster (all green circles).

• Like 1

Right, but I'm mainly concerned about what exactly is an "ally" in Deadfire. And the thing with these games usually is that until you test it you can't know for sure because of so many bugs, vague or non-existent descriptions, hundreds of different categories  and so on.

PS: I went to test myself because "pretty sure" is not good enough for me. It turns out that Circle of Protection works on everyone fighting on my side. On the other hand few other abilities that I tried don't. So it's yet again guesswork like everything else in this game. I've no idea how anything works in this game until I try it, which is tedious and I don't have time for that.

• 2 weeks later...