I agree that most CC abilities need a buff in PoE2.

PoE1 had some OP CC that could use a nerf too, although it's wasn't really easy to stack enough accuracy to reliably CC toughest enemies.

You don't even need to "Land". You just need to graze with it and the next one gets a guaranteed hits.

TBH, PoE CC war was more tedious than hard. "Oh hey this one has a fampyr Ima use my Anti-Dominate and laugh". "Oh wait, I'm out of casts! time to rest and laugh at them for the next 4 encounters."

Perma CC war is some of the most boring and cheap illusion of difficulty you can find in a turn-ish game.

If anything, I prefer the game has careful comp that can break the standard "1-2 Front, 1-2 Mid, 1-2 Back" comp. Back to the day of Ragnarok Online in its prime. You have skills that create a defensive zone that block all melee attack. You have defensive zone that negate range attack. They can't stack and you can push enemies out of them.,

You also have curse zone that silence all casters in that area. The game already has sigil and silence debuff. Utitlize them and design hard critical encounter with them.

Paralyze is against will and only debuffs deflection, so it's not guaranteed to land after graze by any means. It wasn't too difficult to counter with priest, but at least it added an extra layer of complexity, and it was also harder to deal with or land solo. Again, not saying it was perfect, but it was better than it is now.

But it still suffers from the same case of "We can counter it but enemies don't" which is the same issue we're facing. We have the tool. Enemies don't have the answer. This is the core of everything wrong with PoE II beside the "lolinstakill".

I wouldn't mind if they rework Druid Maelstorm into a DoT-heavy not burst heavy while still keeping the damage potential. At least give the enemy priests a chance to heal and enemy fighter to turn on unbending.

PoE1 had some OP CC that could use a nerf too, although it's wasn't really easy to stack enough accuracy to reliably CC toughest enemies.

You don't even need to "Land". You just need to graze with it and the next one gets a guaranteed hits.

TBH, PoE CC war was more tedious than hard. "Oh hey this one has a fampyr Ima use my Anti-Dominate and laugh". "Oh wait, I'm out of casts! time to rest and laugh at them for the next 4 encounters."

Perma CC war is some of the most boring and cheap illusion of difficulty you can find in a turn-ish game.

If anything, I prefer the game has careful comp that can break the standard "1-2 Front, 1-2 Mid, 1-2 Back" comp. Back to the day of Ragnarok Online in its prime. You have skills that create a defensive zone that block all melee attack. You have defensive zone that negate range attack. They can't stack and you can push enemies out of them.,

You also have curse zone that silence all casters in that area. The game already has sigil and silence debuff. Utitlize them and design hard critical encounter with them.

Paralyze is against will and only debuffs deflection, so it's not guaranteed to land after graze by any means. It wasn't too difficult to counter with priest, but at least it added an extra layer of complexity, and it was also harder to deal with or land solo. Again, not saying it was perfect, but it was better than it is now.

But it still suffers from the same case of "We can counter it but enemies don't" which is the same issue we're facing. We have the tool. Enemies don't have the answer. This is the core of everything wrong with PoE II beside the "lolinstakill".

I wouldn't mind if they rework Druid Maelstorm into a DoT-heavy not burst heavy while still keeping the damage potential. At least give the enemy priests a chance to heal and enemy fighter to turn on unbending.

Well, at least some enemies had high enough saves to not get perma CCd unless you min/max and buff like hell. Even then, let's say fort save of Thaos buddies wasn't easy to breach although you could confuse them. Plus they added some perma immunities later. Again, not saying this is perfect, but you couldn't really perma CC every fight, especially solo when you don't have access to all the acc buffs in the world. Overall I think having diminishing returns on CC would be the best course of action. I'm skeptical about enemies having "anti CC" abilities in every fight, doesn't sound realistic in terms of encounter design. CC durations should also not be as long as PoE1 for the most part, but they shouldn't have cast times of PoE2. It's silly when single target CC has identical duration and cast time. And yeah, I'm not sure about the best changes to let's say maelstorm yet but making it more of a DoT is an option.

Edited by MadDemiurg

For me the best for FoD is to return at this previous version :

20 accuracy + 25 % fire damage. [15 % bleak walker ; 20 % personal OR 15 % shared]

AGAINST... 2 zeal.

Eventually, if we are crazy, Obsidian can create a v3 ON the tree for PAY a diminushing of cost... for single class for example ^^.... (for "personnal" way, for shared, found an other bonus)

Penetrating strike is an extrem limit of 1 discipline. But I think It is ok for me.

Withering strike need to stay at 3 guile for differentiation (there is enough "trash" active abilities with rogue). But with +50 % damage mini.

Blinding strike 1 guile. His extension can stay at 2, it is OK.

Strike the bell is too much complex for nothing. And finally 1 guile is enough.

Yeah, beta FoD for 2 zeal would be OK. Overall reasonable suggestions, although I don't mind current FoD for 1 zeal either.

I will say that Strike the Bell, with a high Intellect build, using one handed weapons is a really good ability.  As long as you didn't dump Might, and I don't know why you would.  Combined with Deep Wounds and Death Blows?  Jeeze Louise.  My Street Fighter has it, and gets about 30 seconds of 9 raw damage every 3 seconds.  If you, once again, have them Debuffed with an Affliction prior to using Ring the Bell it is a kiss of death.  I think it is for sure worth its Guile.  It works well with MCing the Rogue too.  I am just talking about the 1 handed section, though.  Dunno if 2h stagger, or ranged pen are worth it.  I imagine they are, but I haven't tried.

Street Fighter/Troubadour -  Ring the Bell + Persistent Distraction + Chanter Phrase "The Long Night's Drink" + Chanter phrase "Aefyllath" + Deep Wounds + Deathblows.  If I have them engaged they are Distracted, and they most likely are weakened by The Long Night's Drink.  There are my 2 Afflictions for Deathblows.  If I am Bloodied and Flanked?  It's Overkill.  Obviously Brisk Recitation isn't on at this point so that I have full 100% up time on both phrases. 

When you need a bit of protection to stay bloodied, and not drop dead suddenly.  Well, you have Her Courage and The Silver Knight's Shield for +10 Deflection, +1 Engaged (1 more enemy is distracted so they have a Perception debuff), and 10pt damage shield.  Add in Fire Godlike Racial if you wish.  Human if you want to be a little more offensive. 

Well, at least some enemies had high enough saves to not get perma CCd unless you min/max and buff like hell. Even then, let's say fort save of Thaos buddies wasn't easy to breach although you could confuse them. Plus they added some perma immunities later. Again, not saying this is perfect, but you couldn't really perma CC every fight, especially solo when you don't have access to all the acc buffs in the world. Overall I think having diminishing returns on CC would be the best course of action. I'm skeptical about enemies having "anti CC" abilities in every fight, doesn't sound realistic in terms of encounter design. CC durations should also not be as long as PoE1 for the most part, but they shouldn't have cast times of PoE2. It's silly when single target CC has identical duration and cast time. And yeah, I'm not sure about the best changes to let's say maelstorm yet but making it more of a DoT is an option.

but even that is a difficulty spike because in the time you have to buff your alpha striker to disable the main enemy, the enemy+his sidekicks can inflict serious damage to you and your party - if a fight is smartly designed around the need to cc. so you have to multitask/position your tank, deal with adds and mitigate damage while to prep to take out the main baddy. in PoE2 you never have this because no major enemy has a devastating attack that you absolutely have to disable or avoid. 

Yeah, It's definitely better than PoE2 with its oneshots and CC immune immortals.

I will say that Strike the Bell, with a high Intellect build, using one handed weapons is a really good ability.  As long as you didn't dump Might, and I don't know why you would.  Combined with Deep Wounds and Death Blows?  Jeeze Louise.  My Street Fighter has it, and gets about 30 seconds of 9 raw damage every 3 seconds.  If you, once again, have them Debuffed with an Affliction prior to using Ring the Bell it is a kiss of death.  I think it is for sure worth its Guile.  It works well with MCing the Rogue too.  I am just talking about the 1 handed section, though.  Dunno if 2h stagger, or ranged pen are worth it.  I imagine they are, but I haven't tried.

Street Fighter/Troubadour -  Ring the Bell + Persistent Distraction + Chanter Phrase "The Long Night's Drink" + Chanter phrase "Aefyllath" + Deep Wounds + Deathblows.  If I have them engaged they are Distracted, and they most likely are weakened by The Long Night's Drink.  There are my 2 Afflictions for Deathblows.  If I am Bloodied and Flanked?  It's Overkill.  Obviously Brisk Recitation isn't on at this point so that I have full 100% up time on both phrases. 

When you need a bit of protection to stay bloodied, and not drop dead suddenly.  Well, you have Her Courage and The Silver Knight's Shield for +10 Deflection, +1 Engaged (1 more enemy is distracted so they have a Perception debuff), and 10pt damage shield.  Add in Fire Godlike Racial if you wish.  Human if you want to be a little more offensive. 

I would just say that these things need careful consideration and experience with each class and its combos. This is why I'm not willing to tackle any buffs in this thread, especially for all classes at the same time. I'll do some class specific ones when I'm more comfortable with my understanding of all abilities.
Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

So I been trying single class priest, at level 13 you become kinda nuts and can solo easily.

Just cast an empowered Storm of Holy Fire (like a lesser Meteor Storm, but still crazy for lvl 13) or Cleansing Flame (very high dmg) out of stealth at max range, then hit Withdraw or Shadowed Beyond (Skean) on yourself as soon as the cast is done.There you go, everyone in the room resets while taking ~100 dmg every few second lol.

If you want you can hit Death's Door after that cast instead, so you can cast a Priest Summon (which aren't half bad) and then do Withdraw. Or another AOE DoT (The T8 Symbols are nice dmg.)

Edited by Tosho

Yeah, It's definitely better than PoE2 with its oneshots and CC immune immortals.

I would just say that these things need careful consideration and experience with each class and its combos. This is why I'm not willing to tackle any buffs in this thread, especially for all classes at the same time. I'll do some class specific ones when I'm more comfortable with my understanding of all abilities.

Pretty much the same here.  I've messed with Chanters and Rogues enough to discuss them with some knowledge.  In fact, outside of maxing a Monk to try Inner Death combo, I have been retrying different Rogue/Chanter combos.  Finding out what works, and what doesn't.  I haven't messed with much else other than companions and their classes.  Mostly trying this combo because it isn't as OP as say Chanter/Fighter, or one of the other silly builds I have seen on here.  Working on this SF/Troub to get a build for the build section.  Although Chanter/anything is probably OP, but I am a Chanter fanboy.  So sue me. 

I have one very OP trick while playing Evoker.

I can sneak to the group of enemies and cast Empowered Delayed Fireball, sneak out, wait until it explodes, Then once again sneak close to the group, cast Empowered Delayed Fireball, sneak out. It should deal about 300-500 damage already in two strikes and it won't trigger combat so I can repeat it until my Empower's Charge pool ends and again, making such strikes without Empower because 2 Delayed Fireball casts will replenish itself because the fight will never start.

Edited by Silvaren

giphy.gif

I can sneak to the group of enemies and cast Empowered Delayed Fireball, sneak out, wait until it explodes, Then once again sneak close to the group, cast Empowered Delayed Fireball, sneak out. It should deal about 300-500 damage already in two strikes and it won't trigger combat so I can repeat it until my Empower's Charge pool ends and again, making such strikes without Empower because 2 Delayed Fireball casts will replenish itself because the fight will never start.

lol yeah it appears sneak and invis abilities allow many game breaking combos like this. Even with Priest and holy storm/cleansing flame + withdraw and/or shadowing beyond(Skaen) if you screw your stealth up for a guaranteed escape. Death's Door and/or Death's Door Cloak for even more shenanigans. 

I was thinking of a build to cheese Assassin sneak attack 1 enemy at a time and reset combat, but it actually works more conveniently with fire and forget AOE spell classes.

Edited by Tosho

Pretty much the same here.  I've messed with Chanters and Rogues enough to discuss them with some knowledge.  In fact, outside of maxing a Monk to try Inner Death combo, I have been retrying different Rogue/Chanter combos.  Finding out what works, and what doesn't.  I haven't messed with much else other than companions and their classes.  Mostly trying this combo because it isn't as OP as say Chanter/Fighter, or one of the other silly builds I have seen on here.  Working on this SF/Troub to get a build for the build section.  Although Chanter/anything is probably OP, but I am a Chanter fanboy.  So sue me. 

Have you tried Trickster/Skald, and if so what did you think? Im thinking of making a Harbinger and the general feeling seems to be go for Troubadour, but I kind of like the idea of spamming cheap offensive invocations

lol yeah it appears sneak and invis abilities allow many game breaking combos like this. Even with Priest and holy storm/cleansing flame + withdraw and/or shadowing beyond(Skaen) if you screw your stealth up for a guaranteed escape. Death's Door and/or Death's Door Cloak for even more shenanigans.

I was thinking of a build to cheese Assassin sneak attack 1 enemy at a time and reset combat, but it actually works more conveniently with fire and forget AOE spell classes.

Delayed Fireball allows to move back before it explodes so caster won't be detected by enemies. It's an exploit which allows to kill any group of enemies "outside" of combat. Mage can just nuke them and sneak out before explosion, repeat until targets took enough damage and die. Edited by Silvaren
  • Like 1

giphy.gif

I was thinking of a build to cheese Assassin sneak attack 1 enemy at a time and reset combat, but it actually works more conveniently with fire and forget AOE spell classes.

Delayed Fireball allows to move back before it explodes so caster won't be detected by enemies. It's an exploit which allows to kill any group of enemies "outside" of combat. Mage can just nuke them and sneak out before explosion, repeat until targets took enough damage and die.

What skill do you use to sneak out? I been trying this on my Wizard and they just detect me after the cast is done and run away from the empowered fireball.

Delayed Fireball allows to move back before it explodes so caster won't be detected by enemies. It's an exploit which allows to kill any group of enemies "outside" of combat. Mage can just nuke them and sneak out before explosion, repeat until targets took enough damage and die.

What skill do you use to sneak out? I been trying this on my Wizard and they just detect me after the cast is done and run away from the empowered fireball.

I just go into stealth mode. It only works with Delayed Fireball (ability from power level VII). If you cast it in the center of the group, it stays there for few seconds and after a while it explodes making noise. Mage can be far away from explosion befor it occurs. Just hit the pause button at the moment the fireball fly from your hand and give order to fallback. I guess delayed fireball is like 5-6 seconds waiting still betwean unawared enemies before it explodes.

giphy.gif

I'd say fixing outright gamebreaking stuff is the top priority.

Fixing just OP stuff is about the same priority as buffing trash.

Yes, Cipher has a lot of spells in need of buffs, especially at lower PLs, probably deserves its own thread.

w.

I disagree, just to the extent that players can simply choose not to use overpwoered combos. I can choose to only cast time parasite once, not to stack it. etc. 

But I can't choose to make mental binding worth having (unless I mod the game, which takes a lot of work). 

• Like 1

Hmm... I'm doing that and they just follow me after the cast and the bomb hits nothing because they have left the zone.  I eventually escape but they don't get hurt. If the Bomb does hit something luckily, it auto breaks my stealth and those who did follow me retarget me.

Perhaps I need more stealth skill. I have like 8.

However, Empowered Fireball, Malignant Cloud, Chill Fog, etc. + Arkamay's Brilliant Departure (or multi-class Rogue Invis abilities) seems to work very good though. For the AOE DOTS, damage continues to tick and things die while out of combat the whole time lol.  Super cheese and super safe. Probably better than my Cheese Priest and can be done at a much lower level. Withdraw scrolls for the rare emergencies. 

Some Invis/Stealth mechanics certainly need to be looked at and added to this list.

Edited by Tosho

@jmerc - I haven't tried them together, no.  I can say that I think Trickster is a bit more defensive, but once you get Gaze of Adragan it might work.  However, Skald comes equipped with a similar Paralyze so it is kind of doubling up.  Though, Gaze attacks Fortitude and Killer's Froze attacks will.  So you will have a very versatile tool set to paralyze many different enemy types.  Which is good because you get a 50% chance to crit the paralyzed enemies.  Otherwise the Trickster will help you keep from getting hit, but not help with Crits.  However, you could do a Reposte type build maybe.  Skald works fine with Rogue.  Not as good as Skald tends to work with Barb, Fighter, Monk, or maybe even Pally.  It will work though. 

Troubadour works well enough with all of them.  I went Troub/SF because I don't like the crit reliance of Skald, with BR on you generate phrases really fast, and you aren't penalized for any type of Invocation.  If you want to dabble in summons, offensive, or non-offensive Invocations you can, and they all cost the same.  Allows you to pick up a little of this and a little of that without feeling like you are waiting forever to cast an Invocation your subclass makes more expensive.  Also, I am not tethered to melee on troubadour.  if the situation calls I can swap to blunderbuss, and spit hot fire.  My phrase generation doesn't change for doing it either.

I'd give it a go (Skald/Trickster), tbh.  I think it might work surprisingly well.  Make sure you dual wield.  If you are using damage invocations then select Flail Proficiency for -25 Reflex.  Only Tornado invocation attacks Fort, and all the other DPS Invocations attack Reflex.  Also get Club modal too.  It hits the enemy with a -25 Will to help ensure that Killer's Froze sticks.  a Saber proficiency is wise as well.  The weapon with a -25 Fortitude is 2 handed, but it would help debuff for Gaze of the Adragon.  So, maybe grab it too.  I'd not bother, but it's your party.  Dual Wield is better because you get more opportunities to crit and generate a phrase.  

If you are doing ANY stealth do not get Phrases that Attack an Enemy.  Come, Come soft winds of death or dull the edge will bring you out of stealth the moment they hit an enemy.  If you want to stealth then be prepared to get Buff friendly Phrases almost entirely. 

anyone tried a mindstalker with soul annihilation + soul whip being the only spells taken from cipher? I.e. its a dump after using all rogue spells? I find it a bit hard at the moment to use cipher spells in melee apart from alpha strike.

Btw, saying that nerfs are bad for casual players is also false.

In fact, an Average Joe probably picks abilities semi-random.

Average Joe 1 picks some OP ability, thinks "wow, combat in this game is so boring" and doesn't even finish 1/3rd of it.

Average Joe 2 picks trash abilities, thinks, "wow, this game is no fun" and doesn't even finish 1/3rd of it.

Lol, of course, only you understand this game, everyone else is clowning around in the dark, but you are here to shine light for us with your incredible mind.

You are looking down on other players, meanwhile you have no understanding of balance, you actually cannot even identify the core problem with this game. Instead you just push some stupid agenda what puts boredom tolerance on a pedestal.

So there's an exploit with a full attack skills on dual hand where you can just get the first swing in, pause, give command to do normal attack, and reuse skill. This cancels the 2nd swing but allow you to get another swing in with no recovery time. It does eat resource but when I don't expect the fight to be super long, being able to throw in a saber crit every 0.5 second is really nice.... especially if you stack Gravecalling on an ally or a pet before doing anything to give yourself +60% ice damage on everything you do.

And some can probably see why this will be really exploitable with Cleaving Stance and Devotion or Wounding Strike.

And speaking of bug, it's a shame whirling strike is also bugged to not deal any raw damage as intended (there goes easy 80-90 damage from a spin) but fortunately Frostseeker with Twin Shot and Driving flight is so busted it answers everything in the game outside "Single boss with 3k health". But then Stealth exploit exists with evasive fire for that.

Edited by Zeitzbach

The Caed Nua hall fight as the entry to the game world in PoE was brilliantly designed.

You'll have to explain to me what's brilliant about attaching on-hit paralysis on top of otherwise basic mooks and call it a day.

The Caed Nua hall fight as the entry to the game world in PoE was brilliantly designed.

You'll have to explain to me what's brilliant about attaching on-hit paralysis on top of otherwise basic mooks and call it a day.

Probably because it's the only time the game become frustrating hard and some people enjoy it for some reason.

I was 2-manning it with just my squishy Druid and Eder and it wasn't fun. Not because of the paralysis but because of the stupid 60+ deflection while I only have, what? 40 accuracy? I could do everything right and still flop the fight because the dice roll wasn't being helpful.

About Godlikes and how it should work in my opinion:

Nature Godlike -  Power level gain should be as long as there is an inspiration if it expires during the fight you cannot get Power levels again, these would mean that you have to keep an eye on your Inspirations and always want to have one going for extra power levels. To compensate that, I would add 15% bonus duration to the first Inspiration received.

Moon Godlike - Obviously healing should scale with power levels if it did with levels it would be too OP, on top of that once per encounter first affliction would have a duration reduced by 25%

Fire Godlike - Armor and damage from fire should also scale with power level, on top of that I would add accuracy bonus and maybe penetration to fire aura as it does no damage at all on higher levels

Death Godlike - Damage to targets near death(<=25% HP) should have a base value and should increase by 1% per level also accuracy toward targets with low health should be +10.

On top of that instead having extra power levels when on low health, once per encounter there could be a passive ability that triggers when your health goes <=25% and would frighten the attacker who dealt the damage, this passive would have a roll against Will with bonus accuracy +5, if successful target is frightened for 10 sec. You could call it Berath's Revenge

Any thoughts? I Love playing as Fire or Death Godlikes for RP purpose but there is very little gain from choosing them at all, plus you lose headgear slot so these skills should compensate it. 

Edited by Sidushi

I don't think any armor gain should ever scale with power level.

Pretty much. Thought certainly a monster-type enemy can have better armor rating by default or something. Turns out the tankiest thing in the game is probably that Steel Soldier you fight at Arkemyr manor before you get bloated pen, accuracy and damage.