For raw damage, fire spells are generally superior because of the ring you can get really early on with +10 accuracy to fire abilities.

This makes Fireball one of the better AoE nukes if you're looking for burst and not a persistent effect or debuff. By level 10, it routinely hits for 200 on targets that aren't resistant/immune to fire. It gets good scaling from power levels due to being a lower-level spell, and it doesn't have some awkward cone that'll hit your allies.

What ring it is exactly?

For raw damage, fire spells are generally superior because of the ring you can get really early on with +10 accuracy to fire abilities.

This makes Fireball one of the better AoE nukes if you're looking for burst and not a persistent effect or debuff. By level 10, it routinely hits for 200 on targets that aren't resistant/immune to fire. It gets good scaling from power levels due to being a lower-level spell, and it doesn't have some awkward cone that'll hit your allies.

What ring it is exactly?

You can buy it at the outlook in neketaka, mage shop.

Edited by eschu101

Minoletta's.. Minoletta's.. oh did I mention Minoletta's missiles? Probably my most casted spell that has gotten the most kills in my game. Empowered those spells, even lower tier, are disgusting. AOE too, so usually get multikill or more with them

did anyone try blast of frost and kalakoth freezing rake?

gaze of adragan still good as POE1? and arcane reflection, is it useful as it sounds?

The ice cone (tier 5) is about same as in PoE1. Freezing Rake was nerfed by a lot (it shoots from you now, hard to aim), Adragan is okay but nerfed compared to PoE1 (what with pertify being nerfed too).

What do you think about the lvl3 wizard spell called arcane dampener? The description says:

"Creates a nullifying field of antagonistic magical energy around the chosen point, suppressing all beneficial effect on enemies in the area of effect."

I already tried a few wizard multis like the battlemage or the arcane knight, but usually I picked evoker for the +1 spell level and the minor chance of double cast. Now I'm starting a new character (maybe a warlock or a spellblade) and I thought maybe this time I'll try a generalist mage for more utility. 

I know this spell makes a roll against will, so it won't help that much against enemy wizards and their deflection buffs, but without a real dispell it sounds like the next best thing. As far as I know you can't craft scrolls for this spell.

In my opinion Concelhauts Crushing Doom is absolutly nuts.

That spell is doing more and more damage per hit (hardest hit was round about 200dmg) + target ist knocked down the whole time.

Actually Crushing Doom is ONLY affected by Might (and not by +Illusion and +Concelhauts Spell Powerlevel).

When this will be fixed, Crushing Doom will be bonkers!

• Like 1

Done this as Bleak Walker Paladin.

xqsu4dd7.jpg

My favourite list (my playstyle is to nerf mobs defenses to oblivion then critical-nuking all of them after):

- Ghost blades: Friendly cone hobbled -5dex.

- Arkemir dazzling: -10 will, -4 mig.

- Miasma of mind: Best debuff of the game: -10 int- 10 resolve -10 per

- Arduous delay of motion: Pair this spell with the previous debuffs and every mob of game becomes a punching bag.

- Binding web + pull of eora and you decide how to finish them all with an empowered nuke that depends on your level :) I'm a fan of fireballs, if one is not enough launch two.

There are more debuffs you can apply on higher levels as long as you have spells to spare, specially adragan to help with the crit-feast.

Edited by indika_tates
  • Like 1

Fleet Feet would serve you better than DAOM; DAOM’s pretty crappy in Deadfire.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

How high can you stack power levels for a wizard....for example could I do Evoker + the port Maje gloves + Magran's Axe for 5+ power levels on fire spells, combo with the + fire accuracy ring......seems like it could be insane dmg.

All the power level buffs stack. +2 evoker, +2 nature godlike, +2 gloves, +2 stone of power, +x weapons, +food, +rest. Add empower on top of that, and well, one-shotting the final boss with a single cast is possible.

Edited by Clerith

Dunno, I start to think that even Evoker doesn't worth taking over simple wizard with no subclass but way more variety. You won't one shot bosses because you have +1 Power Level or that ~15% doublecast chance. 

Dunno, I start to think that even Evoker doesn't worth taking over simple wizard with no subclass but way more variety. You won't one shot bosses because you have +1 Power Level or that ~15% doublecast chance.

Actually u can one shot the final boss with that tier 9 missile spell.

I think the only way to make subclasses viable is by turning off their penalties through mods on nexus. Honestly none of the subclass bonuses are really that insane, +1 power level is inor given the other stuff in the game, and things like a free autocast spell or 15% chance of double cast arn't so huge. 

• Like 1

Are there any grimoires people have that they particularly like?

Ideally I'd like to find one that had thrust of tattered veils, arcane dampener, and expose vulnerabilities. Or alternatively one with all the instant-cast self buffs.

the grimoire of disruption is the one we inevitably return to.  we need thrust of tattered veils (how is it more people do not mention?) and we get much use outta arcane dampener, and expose vulnerabilities. also includes slicken, grimoire slam, necrotic lance, concussive missiles, minor reflection, call to slumber, form of the helpless beast, gaze of adragan, arcane reflection, chaotic orb, llengrath's warding staff, temporal cocoon, piercing sigil, arcane cleanse, and llengrath's reflection. underlined stuff we use so frequent as to be essential.

that said, if we weren't simple using aloth or a geomancer maia, we would likely build a wizard character or multi 'round ninagauth's teachings, but the advantage to grimoire o' disruption is am recalling it is a ruined tower drop and if we wanted to guarantee early acquisition, we could immediate head to a ruined tower location following port maje and save-spam 'til we get the right grimoire... not that we would do such a thing... 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Are there any grimoires people have that they particularly like?

Ideally I'd like to find one that had thrust of tattered veils, arcane dampener, and expose vulnerabilities. Or alternatively one with all the instant-cast self buffs.

the grimoire of disruption is the one we inevitably return to.  we need thrust of tattered veils (how is it more people do not mention?) and we get much use outta arcane dampener, and expose vulnerabilities. also includes slicken, grimoire slam, necrotic lance, concussive missiles, minor reflection, call to slumber, form of the helpless beast, gaze of adragan, arcane reflection, chaotic orb, llengrath's warding staff, temporal cocoon, piercing sigil, arcane cleanse, and llengrath's reflection. underlined stuff we use so frequent as to be essential.

that said, if we weren't simple using aloth or a geomancer maia, we would likely build a wizard character or multi 'round ninagauth's teachings, but the advantage to grimoire o' disruption is am recalling it is a ruined tower drop and if we wanted to guarantee early acquisition, we could immediate head to a ruined tower location following port maje and save-spam 'til we get the right grimoire... not that we would do such a thing... 

HA! Good Fun!

This, this is Good Postin', right here.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm having a hardtime considering repicking my lvl1 spells...i'm running chillfog, spirit shield and the accuracy buff, since it stacks with the priest acc spell.

but fleet feet is too good and the spell with 100% interrupt can make a good use also, any thoughts?

the grimoire of disruption is the one we inevitably return to.   . . . . . but the advantage to grimoire o' disruption is am recalling it is a ruined tower drop and if we wanted to guarantee early acquisition, we could immediate head to a ruined tower location following port maje and save-spam 'til we get the right grimoire... not that we would do such a thing... 

HA! Good Fun!

You don't need to save/reload this -- you can buy the Grimoire of Disruption from the vendor by the docks in Tikiwara.

There definitely seem to be a few popular no-brainers. My formula last playthrough was Miasma for reducing defences, Enervating Terror to disable, Wilting Wind for AOE, and Minolettas for single target damage. Then there are other useful things like the bouncing affliction Orb, Arcane Dampener, etc.

I can't get over how amazing Enervating Terror is, though. If you have decent accuracy on your wizard then over half your battles will involve most of your enemies running around doing nothing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Folks, I love and use all the above mentioned spells, but this one in particular takes the cake, Nannasin's Cobra Strike; imagine your wizard with two cobras on each arm, anyone who gets too close to do your wiz harm is struck down instantly by cobra venom.  Great for that rare time when your wizard is under threat of too close "up close and unfriendly" attack ... I tested it yesterday... (on ship to ship) and it's effective!  Its in the Snakeskin Covered Grimoire in Sansa's Map shop.    - another weapon in the toolkit.

I find as I dig deeper and deeper into this game there are a lot of specific details that are easily taken granted and missed - it's almost like the developers were laughing at us, goading us into finding everything...  The depth is refreshing.

Cobra Wiz.jpg