Chill Fog is way too good for a first tier spell, Minoletta's Concussive Missiles is good and amazing when Empowered, Wilting Wind is a solid heavy lifter that makes Wizards amazing again, and Meteor Shower might be clunky to use but the damage breaks the game.

Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar is good enough for the middle levels.

As you can see, I like the evoker style damage Wizard, even though I'm not picking a specialization (Transmutation sucks to lose when leveling up), but you can definitely make a case for Evoker, which is probably the best Wizard subclass.

Edited by Clerith
  • Like 2

I don't know if it's changed any from POE1, but I always found Confusion to be a very strong spell to have when facing a number of strong enemies.  It would either get them to fight their own guys or just stand around doing nothing.  Either way, it was a good way to temporarily reduce the number of enemies you had to deal with, at least for a while.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's changed any from POE1, but I always found Confusion to be a very strong spell to have when facing a number of strong enemies.  It would either get them to fight their own guys or just stand around doing nothing.  Either way, it was a good way to temporarily reduce the number of enemies you had to deal with, at least for a while.

Go play the game, it is changed.

Ryngrim's Enervating Terror is the best CC in the game unless I'm missing something truly absurd. Good sized AOE, terrify, long duration, bonus weaken for no reason. Until you get your late game spells and just murder things by looking at them, it'll carry you.

Confusion is a bit of a miss now, on the other hand terrify is great.  So Ryngrim's Enervating Terror makes a great debuff/cc.  I also happen to love the tentacles spell, I cast them between my front and backline to safeguard my backline. 

Otherwise chillfog, freezing pillar, concussive missiles, are all go to spells for me.    

Arcane dampener is very useful.  Pull of Eora makes decent CC.

Pretty much all the defensive buffs are good.

I think a few to many debuffs target fortitude, so I don't care for them quite as much.  But just to name a few semi useful ones since they're usually foe AoE...   Curse of Blackened sight (radius is a bit small), Expose vulnerabilities, Arduous delay of motion (radius is a bit small).

Well, there's a lot of questionable spells, but I think most of these are a cut above what low level priests and ciphers have access to.

Does anybody have a list of unique spells that are only available in grimoires?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Apparently Crushing hammer of doom has made a return.  I didn't even notice before I pawned off the grimoire, then later one of my buddies told me about it and I facepalmed.

Idk, but I noted more unique spells than in Pillars 1 I think, the ****tier Bigby's Hand is there, Shadowflame with 6.0 sec cast time, some other Concelhaut/Ninagauth spells, and a new poison snake grimoire that had some weird snake ****.

Ninagauth Shadowflame is pretty good(unique spell,high range,paralize aoe,higher damage then fireball),torrent of flame(huge damage for its level),ninagauth mooring beam,Fleet Feet 1 lvl spell(amazing instant buff spell which is better then lvl 3 alacrity of motion spell),dimensional shift is very good for mobility

Here’s what I have found so far:

Weathered Grimoire (Starting Grimoire for main character): Arcane Assault

Unique Grimoire from Map Shop in Neketaka: Snakes as a Summoned Weapon

Ninagauth’s Teachings (Arkemyr’s Vault): Ninagauth’s Death Ray and Shadowflame

Iron-clasped Grimoire: Concelhaut’s Draining Missiles and Crushing Doom

Arkemyr’s Grimoire: Arkemyr’s Brilliant Departure and Arkemyr’s Mercurial Madness

Llengrath’s Grimoire (not the exact name, for sale at the Dark Cupboard): Llengrath’s Superior Elemental Bulwark

• Like 1

Add another vote for Chill Fog. 

I favor control over damage and subsequently favor spells like Pull of Eora, Curse of Blackened Sight and Harmless Form. 

Though, in truth, I favor the Priest over the Wizard so take it for what it's worth. 

can some1 mod all the unique spells into a single grimoire, please?

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Literally 3-8 great spells at every tier. It just depends on what you do. I mean, level 1 alone has:

Minor Missiles = no resists and more missiles as you level
Chill Fog = great damage and free debuff
Slicken = excellent disable, useful all game long
Spirit Shield = near instant cast, long lasting 3 armor? yes thank you and double thank you if you are a melee wizard

Nothing wrong with flame fan and jolting touch either.

Tier 2 is worse... in a good way. As in it has even more great spells:

Mirror Image - Awesome and is insanely good if youre a tank.

Gaze - Another amazing spell and totally broken if you're a multiclass crit focused monk/rogue.

Miasma - long lasting -10 deflection against will which fighters are weak to? Yes, thank you.
Binding Web - Another awesome disable.
Necrotic Lance - excellent damage vs Fort. caster killer.
Arcane Veil - for those oh-spit moments.
Ray of Fire - Fire laser that hurt the target and everything in between every second for 10-20 seconds? Awesome.
Rolling Flame - very long range, great to open engagement and for blowing up explosives until you get flame wall

Edited by marc5477
  • Like 1

For raw damage, fire spells are generally superior because of the ring you can get really early on with +10 accuracy to fire abilities.

This makes Fireball one of the better AoE nukes if you're looking for burst and not a persistent effect or debuff. By level 10, it routinely hits for 200 on targets that aren't resistant/immune to fire. It gets good scaling from power levels due to being a lower-level spell, and it doesn't have some awkward cone that'll hit your allies.

Edited by Arnegar

I feel like wizard spells require too much micromanagement, which is great if you want that. But it's hard to assign it to the AI to do. Do you guys feel like cipher require less of these micromanagement and thus will do better DPS using AI control, and less AOE that backfires onto your own party?

Arkemyr's Capricious Hex is pretty good when facing a spread out or chaotic enemy formation due to its huge AoE. The randomness does draw it down, but it's a good go-to debuff spell that hits *everyone* and for me sets up Edér and Maia to go nuts with sneak attacks.

Edited by Yenkaz

I finished the game with evoker and I love Minoletta's Missile Salvo. Dealt final boss 1975 damage in single empowered spell. I really like Minoletta's Concussive Missiles as single target damage. Ninagauth's Shadow Flame is incredible as damage + CC (as it was in first PoE). Chain Lightning is good, if you don't want to hit your party. Ninagauth's Killing Bolt has nice damage + free summon.  Delayed Fireball is great with empower to kill groups and fall back without the fight - and it's possible to repeat such strike without detection with another emp charge and infinite cast of delayed fireball, because fight won't start. Rolling Flame is nice in PoE 2 because it deal pretty high damage, can be cast from long distance (useful with exploding barrels) and pron the targets. Ray spells seam improved too since PoE 1. Wilting Wind is good with large AoE and raw damage. Kalakoth's Freezing Rake seems nerfed since PoE1, mostly because its AoE starts from the caster. Tayn's Chaotic Orb is good if you can hit no more than 2 targets.

Playing as contro/support wizard I would pick Combusting Wounds, Chill Fog, Slicken, Arduous Delay of Motion, Expose Vulnerabilities, Confusion, Pull of Eora, Call to Slumber and more. There are plenty useful spells for CC wizard. I didn't test new spells from level IX from different schools than evocation.

giphy.gif

Arkemyr's Capricious Hex is pretty good when facing a spread out or chaotic enemy formation due to its huge AoE. The randomness does draw it down, but it's a good go-to debuff spell that hits *everyone* and for me sets up Edér and Maia to go nuts with sneak attacks.

I second that, i used it as an opener on many many fights due to it's huge radius. I also like "call to slumber" and "curse of the blackened sight" is always usefull as it target will defense.

Ninagauth shadowflame is also incredible.