Too little combat and too much talking?

I don't know what you guys are on about. I love huge content-filled cities in games, and Neketaka sure felt way more city-ish than Defiance Bay.

That said, Defiance Bay probably had more stuff to do overall.

• Like 2

yeah big cities are a good thing . Some games just give you wide map with mobs and a dungeon . And that's fine . But a city is also good..

for selling loot , taking a breather and fixing your stuff . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Neketaka is one of the best things about Deadfire, maybe the best. And noone is forcing anyone to comb through all the content in one sitting, that's the beauty of it. Explore the city some, maybe leave for a while and do something outside the city, and return.

• Like 4

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I don't know what you guys are on about. I love huge content-filled cities in games, and Neketaka sure felt way more city-ish than Defiance Bay.

I don't know how far you've come, but I promise you that you have more to do in Neketaka than in Defiance Bay all in all.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I feel like Neketaka is TOO BIG. I went straight there after initial island, I've been there for an irl week. I suggest doing it in chunks. After 4 maps, I'm bored to death of towns already. Gonna clear a few bounties and side quests, then come back.

I really don't think so. It seems to be aiming at (and not reaching entirely) the size of Athkatla from BG2. People should just take the nudge from the quests that take them out to sea (not that I managed to follow my own advice, to be honest).

Neketaka has the same content as both Twin Elms and Defiance Bay put together. There's seriously so much in Neketaka some of which is easy to miss out on if you don't pay attention to your quest journal.

Edited by Hetmasteeen
  • Like 1

Players complained POE1 had too much trash fights, not enough ways of avoiding combat and that the cities didn't have enough content.

In POE2, they practically removed trash fights outside a few places that are supposed to be infested or if you makes everyone in an area hates you. Outside bounties, a lots of fight are avoidable via dialogues as well.

If you want to play a murderous hobo, play a murderous hobo.The game isn't stopping you. I don't guarantee that your party is going to like you though.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I believe one of the criticisms that Josh wanted to address in a big way was the criticism that the first game had way too many trash fights. After a while fighting hordes of enemies becomes inane. If you are going to fight, it should be more impactful and meaningful.

I feel like they utterly failed in this. Now almost every fight is a trash fight, and apart from Neketaka, there isn't much talking. You can do the round of the city once when you get there, and just follow up as the quest journal dictates. The quest givers might as well all line up at the docks after your first visit, given how pointless the city becomes.

I didn't think they could manage to make combat even less engaging, but Josh found a way. The ogres early in the endless paths were more intereasting opponents.

Edited by Voss

There is less fight encounters in the game atm then there was in POE1, as there are no real dungeons in the game atm.

Most side maps are really small areas with 1-2 fights.

Bit shame, we have to hope for good beafy expansions.

Uncharted Islands are nowhere near Endless Paths.

I'm half game and all dungeons i have gone through are 10 times better than Poe1 ones.

I'm just curious, which dungeons?  I'm nearing end-game and I haven't found any real dungeons other than Drowned Barrows, which was pretty small and short.  Most "dungeons" in Deadfire have been one area with a few rooms and barely any enemies.

Big city's always have lot's of dialogue and many of those quests revolve around said dialogue and/or fetch quests. I do appreciate that Obsidian has made some of these typical quests into actually leaving the city, exploring and coming back to complete the quest. Kinda breaks it up.

With regard to less combat and wanting more, if I remember correctly that was a minor complaint with Baldur's Gate. The Icewind Dale games focused a little more on combat and party creation than it did on story.

I prefer more story in games like this, even though I prefer Icewind Dale series as a whole over the BG series. I think Deadfire expansions will add more combat, at least in one of them. Here's to hoping one of the expansions has a decent sized dungeon in it.

There is less fight encounters in the game atm then there was in POE1, as there are no real dungeons in the game atm.

Most side maps are really small areas with 1-2 fights.

Bit shame, we have to hope for good beafy expansions.

Uncharted Islands are nowhere near Endless Paths.

With you there.

I'm half game and all dungeons i have gone through are 10 times better than Poe1 ones.

Yes art style of the maps is great, maybe they are 10 times better (that is not true btw) but then they are 10 times smaller than in first game. most of the side maps are 1 room per map...

Maybe if the encoutners were special in them and properly balanced.. But I did all side exloration on Veteran and difficuty is a joke. Only Fampyrs require little bit of careful management as they can dominate you when you strike them in melee (my dominated swashbuckler can 2 shot any of my party members).

I love the game, but remove your pink glasses. Constructive critique is not a bad thing.

They should focus on fixing critcal bugs, then totally rebalance Veteran and POTD, and finally start working on dungeon crawling combat expansion that would give some fun endgame combat and some big maps for party exploration (let's face it ship & world map exploration is not better than some mobile mini-game)

Edited by Farsha

Neketake is incredible. It doesn’t feel ‘too big’ once you get to know your way around.

I would maybe recommend doing quests as you receive a couple though, when you first arrive. Don’t feel like you have to scour every inch of the city and collect every possible quest before heading out again. That’s what leads to the solid mass of talking.

I believe one of the criticisms that Josh wanted to address in a big way was the criticism that the first game had way too many trash fights. After a while fighting hordes of enemies becomes inane. If you are going to fight, it should be more impactful and meaningful.

I mean if you're just running around beating everything you can over the head combat would eventually become a chore rather than a necessary feature. At least in my mind. Fighting endless beetles and spiders is just not my idea of a good time!

OK, I guess I'm just a contrarian, but I loved those so-called "trash fights".  Every fight doesn't need to be "meaningful", for crying out loud.

Feels like there's too little combat and too little talking as well. I liked the trash fights in PoE. Plenty of them were skippable if people were really bothered by them, and they didn't respawn so I never saw the issue. There's a whole subforum dedicated to making builds, and I don't think they're optimizing for RP decisions. What is the point of coming up with clever builds if there's nothing for you to test them on.

But there also doesn't seem to be that much talking either. Most of the conversations are a lot shorter and a lot less interesting than they were in PoE. I guess that's what you get when you decide to fully voice everything (not a choice I would've made).

Feels like there's too little combat and too little talking as well. I liked the trash fights in PoE. Plenty of them were skippable if people were really bothered by them, and they didn't respawn so I never saw the issue. There's a whole subforum dedicated to making builds, and I don't think they're optimizing for RP decisions. What is the point of coming up with clever builds if there's nothing for you to test them on.

But there also doesn't seem to be that much talking either. Most of the conversations are a lot shorter and a lot less interesting than they were in PoE. I guess that's what you get when you decide to fully voice everything (not a choice I would've made).

The voicing was added as a late measure, like, a few weeks in advance.