Bit dissapointed with the exploration quest maps (Charting the undiscovered Islands)

All the maps for this quest are very small.

In most cases it's 1-2 rooms with 1 max 2 encounters.

It takes longer to travel to the location that to do the fights and the little puzzle there. (I play on veteran, waiting for rebalance of POTD to start that)

Its' nowhere near to Endless paths from POE1

I love the game but this part is subpar, gear from it is nice but maps them selves, even though beautiful, are small with hardly any content.

Overally I'd say most maps in deadfire are smaller than in POE1 which is shame. Game takes longer only cause travel now actually takes real time.

I do hope Obsidian steps up and axpansions will have proper dungeon maps with multiple rooms and levels.

Edited by Farsha
  • Like 2

I do like this tighter design. I liked the puzzle dungeons, if combat be more challenging I would take a single encounter over 75% of filler in Endless Paths. Traveling on the world map is quick, and instead of one or two stretch out dungeons we got plenty of smaller, to the point ones.

• Like 4

Better fights would help a lot, Veteran now is a joke.
Travel is still kinda boring after a while (They should add fast travel into the game to discovered locations).
But still 1 room temple is just not enough for me sorry, that is not exploration... (I expected something like Arkemyr's castle for each Island when it comes to size)

I admit art is beautiful, and game is still one of the best RPGs I ever played, still it could be better and some areas feel rushed.
I do hope expansions will be beafy and will add lot of mainly combat content.

Edited by Farsha
  • Like 2

If exploration can be expanded, i was hoping to see something like uncharted waters 2 (koei) where traveling islands you can discover unique creatures/monsters , wonders, lores  and even earning money via export/import  goods from various ports.  I have so much fun with that game  back in those days :)

All the places related to main story and factions are about the same length as PoE1, so all the small islands are really just extra content.

While it is true that many of them are just a single area or dungeon, there are plenty others that have interesting stories, like the foggy island to the southeast, the village worshipping a new god, or Wael's maze. All those are things you only find if you explore.

• Like 3

All the places related to main story and factions are about the same length as PoE1, so all the small islands are really just extra content.

While it is true that many of them are just a single area or dungeon, there are plenty others that have interesting stories, like the foggy island to the southeast, the village worshipping a new god, or Wael's maze. All those are things you only find if you explore.

Endless Paths were extra content and were much more flashed out.

Those 3 areas are cool, Memnok is great. Weal puzzle is fun. Foggy island has 5  maps which is great, but each has 1 room/area, again, why are they so small? It could have easilly been 2 bigger maps.

I am torn on this subject. I do like that you do not spend half an hour in one dark dungeon, that has four layers, but I think a small map with two rooms everywhere is not much fun either. Also most places are not tied to any marked or unmarked quests but are plain dungeons with no real "purpose". Exceptions include the things like the mentioned Wael dungeon, or the shipwrecked crew near Port Maje, where you actually have to do something else than fighting, and/or where you gain a bit of backstory on the place. This is something that is really missing, stuff that puts the place into context.

Say you enter a dungeon that is beautifully painted and is full of imps. You wonder why the imps are here, what they are doing etc.. Like in Fallout every place you go has a terminal, or similar that tells you why this place has relevance.

That does count for the shipfights as well. You killed a named captain, but what was he all about anyway? At times Exploration feels like a Conveyor belt where you just move from one station to the next.

If that is adressed then I would be happier with the small dungeons. Oh and further on that matter: The riddles in this game definitely need to be more difficult than just pushing stuff in the right order.

• Like 1

My first playthrough was fairly completionist and took ~110 hours. Not sure these islands need much more; they aren’t supposed to the main focus of the game.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Really?  The whole game, including all the islands and bounties, took me about half as long as POE1.

I found the exploration disappointing, too.  The islands are mostly barren, and the "dungeons" - if you can call them that - are just a few rooms each with barely any enemies.

It feels like they attempted to replace traditional dungeons with island exploring, but there just isn't enough of it.  I would have rather had fewer islands with more stuff than a bunch of islands with one small location each.

• Like 1