Is the game really that easy? Where between POE1 and tyranny is it?

I haven't left tutorial island, well not true I left once for like 5 min in the water and then rerolled. Been playing with character builds too much to get anywhere. But if this game is THAT easy rn I might have to shelve it till it gets harder. I REALLY hope it's not Tyranny easy that shiz was broken and I got no replay out of it. 

I haven't left tutorial island, well not true I left once for like 5 min in the water and then rerolled. Been playing with character builds too much to get anywhere. But if this game is THAT easy rn I might have to shelve it till it gets harder. I REALLY hope it's not Tyranny easy that shiz was broken and I got no replay out of it. 

It's easier than tyranny.   Sorry.

I had Pallagina set up as a greatsword fighter in her basic armor, and she still tanked a boss fight against a boss 4+ levels higher than her.  Never went below 75% health.  I just sat back and spammed disintegrates at it. Missed a lot because of the 100 defense (vs. my 60 accuracy), so the fight went on for a good 5-6 minutes, but the outcome was never in doubt.

Edited by Voss

I dunno, at low level, going to the wrong places (including in Neketaka or when I was attacked by pirates) still cleaned my clock. (Playing on Veteran)

So either I’m really much worse than most of my vocal friends here (a possibility I admit) or I have less of a masochistic streak (another possibility).

I'm playing on veteran, and there's been only a single fight in the entire game (I'm level 20 now, about to do the final place) where my character has died in combat. That was in Neketaka when I punched a pirate captain and his high level firing death squad decided to make an example out of me. That was the only hard fight in the game. Bosses have been a joke dying in ~10 seconds, including the two dragon encounters - none of my characters dropped below 70% during the dragon fights, ffs. Some random fampyrs in the edges of the map were a lot tougher. I haven't been remotedly challenged since level ~8. It's been significantly easier than Pillars 1 and even Tyranny, which I also found very easy once I got the ball rolling.

Edited by Clerith
  • Like 1

There were some very challenging and fun fights early on for me in PotD, particularly because I went to the Old City in Neketaka early on when everything was 5 to 6 levels above me.  

But once you get to around level 9 and start gearing out your characters, the content becomes extremely easy.  The main problem is that there are a ton of amazing (arguably broken) items and abilities so no matter what build you take or what quests you complete, you end up with these super stacked characters that the enemy NPCs can't handle at all.  

To even begin balancing the game on PotD, every enemy needs a buff to all stats and every player item and ability needs an across the board nerf.  Because as things stand now, no AI changes are going to make a difference against the raw damage/protection well geared players have.

The backer beta had very much the difficutly I expected from a pillars game. I'd say it is very reasonable to assume that they will be able to fix this - at this point they could probably just raise every enemy's level by 3 and it would be more or less alright.

• Like 1

I'm absolutely no PotD hero, I've never completed the game solo, never bothered to play any higher than Hard/Veteran.

But right now I'm on Veteran (scale up only) with Expert and just about to head to Magrans Teeth, I think I've had about one or two characters get knocked out tops and only then when I got complacent and just auto attacked because I thought the enemy pod was trash.

It's fairly easy tbh.

I've also not come across any huge sort of boss or mini boss fights really either.

By this point in PoE1 I'd already met the Adra dragon, gotten wiped by the Skaen priest under Dyrford, beaten Raedric with my father fingernails with about 2hp left and gotten wrecked being under levelled for some bounties.

Edited by RocketChaser

There's some difficulty early on with ranged enemies, because everyone's ACC seems to be through the roof in POTD, but once your armour starts out pacing enemy penetration you can pretty much face-roll your way to the end of the game. This happens pretty quickly. It really sucks that it's so easy. 

I did recently:
- Pillars of Eternity 1 on Solo PotD as Chanter
- Tyranny on Solo PotD as Onehanded Riposte build
- Pillars of Eternity 2 on Solo PotD as Paladin/Chanter (not finished)

Based on this I would say: Pillars of Eternity 2 < Tyranny < Pillars of Eternity 1

Tyranny was challenging, but after you have all your buff spells you could beat everything without any problems.

Pillars of Eternity 1 was not as hard in the beginning as Tyranny, but doing all dragons in endgame was much more challenging than Tyranny.

In Pillars of Eternity 2 nothing is a problem. You can even do areas with 3 red skulls without a specific strategy - it just takes a little longer.

Edited by Tommy1984

Having replayed PoE for the first time since the game came just a few weeks ago, I can honestly say that they're both equally easy if you know what you're doing. The only times I died in PoE 1 were to the Adra Dragon and to the mage with the two dragons, and only because I tried to bullrush both encounters without any tactics. Deadfire offers more things you can abuse, especially with multiclassing, so it's even easier to become a powerhouse, but the people saying PoE is any harder are deluding themselves, or maybe they're remembering their first playthrough when the game first came out.

Note: I play these games on hard, so I can't comment on what the situations are on PotD. There may be some valid complaints there.

traditional: starts out hard, but once you pick a few buffs and gear becomes relatively easy. The difficulty is not the problem. the FOO (first order optimal strategy) driven approach to solving it is. You put up devotions at the start of the fight and wreck everything. Enemies don't use empower (can anyone confirm?), don't act smartly with disables, don't even hit hard unless rogues from invisibility.

I don't think there is a smart way to solve it. They'll just pump the stats and enemy numbers up.

Edited by mrmonocle

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Having replayed PoE for the first time since the game came just a few weeks ago, I can honestly say that they're both equally easy if you know what you're doing. The only times I died in PoE 1 were to the Adra Dragon and to the mage with the two dragons, and only because I tried to bullrush both encounters without any tactics. Deadfire offers more things you can abuse, especially with multiclassing, so it's even easier to become a powerhouse, but the people saying PoE is any harder are deluding themselves, or maybe they're remembering their first playthrough when the game first came out.

Note: I play these games on hard, so I can't comment on what the situations are on PotD. There may be some valid complaints there.

Or maybe it’s just u. Most people agree PoE 2 is much eaiser here.

• Like 1

I've had Pallagina lose 50 percent of her hit points from one mob of the same level (elite) quite often in veteran (whilst she was wearing best in slot for her level, low to mid game). Veteran is more like a base hard mode, but ship to ship battles early can be very brutal and unforgiving (especially in Vet level). Personnally I feel the difficulty settings allow for some entertaining and creative builds to be used in Vetran or PoTD  without being restricted to power builds based on fotm classes or templates. If the difficulty is to be increased, I would rather see players "forced" to use more balanced builds with team support being almost madatory for survival... for a better tactical game, rather then the dps checks and damage stacking mind set.

Or maybe it’s just u. Most people agree PoE 2 is much eaiser here.

Both are easy. Deadfire is just easier to cheese is what I'm saying.

Edited by Judicator