Are there any? I have seen a Youtube clip of a dragon fight, but it looks more like a drake or baby dragon. I sure hope there are some epic Dragons!

Edited by mjo2138

There's a machine dinosaur on Ukaizo, the final area. Its level is pretty high.

what lvl is the machine dino actually? At lvl 16 party when I did it on PotD without much optimization prior it was a fairly nice fight - though once I figured I had to actually use healing abilities there and not steamroll it became manageable, just longer than the other fights. (compared to all the others in the game). but still it feels less strong than the dragons in PoE1

the drake fire dragon at magran's teeth was a joke though

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

If it's not the dragons, then what is the hardest boss creature in the game? So far the most difficult fight I've had was with the Kraken.

I wouldn't even say its a boss and is instead the fight just before the initial crypt entrance of the Dampyr City, the multiple Elder Dampyrs in the cave by themselves, or the final boss if you fight everything at once (which I assume is intended) vs just staying out of range of multiple enemies so they dont agro. 

Edited by SilverSaint
  • Like 1

I appreciate the developers idea to move away from o 'traditional' RPG narrative by moving away from RPG cliches like castles, forest maps, and Dragons. However, lets be honest. We all love RPGs so there is nothing wrong with a nice epic Dragon battle! I look forward to the Kraken battle. yet I think that there is ample room for a roaming epic dragon somewhere in Deadfire...

There's a machine dinosaur on Ukaizo, the final area. Its level is pretty high.

what lvl is the machine dino actually? At lvl 16 party when I did it on PotD without much optimization prior it was a fairly nice fight - though once I figured I had to actually use healing abilities there and not steamroll it became manageable, just longer than the other fights. (compared to all the others in the game). but still it feels less strong than the dragons in PoE1

the drake fire dragon at magran's teeth was a joke though

For real. I struggled with the mecha dragon (still got it on the first try but it was close) but the magma dragon was laughably easy. 

Is there anything like the Endless Trials where I can try harder fights after getting to max level? I find myself without any real challenges once I hit level 17 or so. Only 2 dragons? No high end bounties, no high end dungeons with super nice treasure?

If you are struggling with the "mecha dragon" I found a cheap way of outright killing it on my first attempt.

It is a construct. There is a certain level 8 priest spell that instantly destroys this type of enemy. Yes, it works. I laughed at the screen for a good 30 seconds afterwards.

• Like 4

I talked my way out of both dragon encounters. Any noteworthy loot?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

If you are struggling with the "mecha dragon" I found a cheap way of outright killing it on my first attempt.

It is a construct. There is a certain level 8 priest spell that instantly destroys this type of enemy. Yes, it works. I laughed at the screen for a good 30 seconds afterwards.

I did the same thing. I was like....oh...they didn't make him immune to this... da fug. I'm so used to bosses being immune to any sorta one shot thing it surprised me. Seriously onty did it on a whim. I reloaded though to see how hard he would be without doing it and still wasn't that tough. And his buddies dropped like minnows. 

Reminded me of the old Phoenix down trick from earlier FF games lol.

I talked my way out of both dragon encounters. Any noteworthy loot?

Well......they drop ingredients to enchant items to legendary quality.

Noted. Thanks

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I did the same thing. I was like....oh...they didn't make him immune to this... da fug. I'm so used to bosses being immune to any sorta one shot thing it surprised me. Seriously onty did it on a whim. I reloaded though to see how hard he would be without doing it and still wasn't that tough. And his buddies dropped like minnows. 

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I really like this kind of thing.  It rewards you for knowing the mechanics.  Pretty much any DnD based game has this kind of stuff in it, especially the old infinity engine games.

Obsidian is quite fond of increasing encounter difficulty by giving tough enemies immunities across the board.  That feels like a really cheap way to make an encounter difficult.  You have all these well-designed mechanics in the game, and then you can't use them for the toughest fights just because.  When I was fighting the dragons in Pillars 1, I found myself often thinking "well why do I even have all these spells, then?  What's the point in unlocking high level Wizard/Priest/Druid/Chanter/Cipher spells if none of them work when I most need them?"

• Like 1

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I really like this kind of thing.  It rewards you for knowing the mechanics.  Pretty much any DnD based game has this kind of stuff in it, especially the old infinity engine games.

True, though in this particularly case there is certain amount or irony in using a priest, and therefore god granted, spell to instakill the guardian that moments before the gods have told you they are unable to influence.....

Dismissal did become one of my favourite spells for late game exploration given the amount of undead hordes on some of the more remote islands. The only unexplained question I have is why it doesn't work on fampyrs - fampyrs, particularly ancient ones, became the only really threatening enemy towards the end due to their habit of charming your party members.

Dismissal did become one of my favourite spells for late game exploration given the amount of undead hordes on some of the more remote islands. The only unexplained question I have is why it doesn't work on fampyrs - fampyrs, particularly ancient ones, became the only really threatening enemy towards the end due to their habit of charming your party members.

Probably just overlooked.

I also noticed that Fampyrs don't care about Slippery Mind, which is supposed to give immunity to domination.  They are the hardest enemies in the game imo just cause of how easily they charm everyone.

• Like 1