Serafen yelled on me before I reaching Picer's Island

Dana

Question

I was on my ship after a random fight on the sea right after solving problems on Hasongo (I lit the adra without killing naga).

When  the game loaded me to the ship (its interior area) after the fight, I started talking to my crew (Aloth's quest jumped to another stage (something about painting faces tribe), Xoti, Pallegina, Mia, Eder). Finally I've reached Serafen. He started yelling on me about "the case with slavery and slaves!". I was like, "hey, what just happened? did I move the quest with slavery somehow accidentally?". I've searched Journal and couldn't find the quest related.

When I finally reached Picer's Island and A Shrewd Proposition quest got updated, I realized that Serafen yelled on me without any reason.

20 answers to this question

But that was like "what did you think whan you do that to the slaves? Once more and I beat you!", when I never met any slave before.

Edited by Dana

Has nobody... actually looked at Serafen's character sheet? His background IS "Slave", and if you pay attention to his conversations, behind all of his jokes and innuendo he was a severely abused slave at that - most notably being repeatedly abused by Malnaj. Not to mention Furrante being uncaring about him, and tossing him to the Watcher at the beginning of the game as an adult would toss candy to a child to try and get the child to follow them, simply because he believes the Watcher would be a more useful pawn than Serafen.

Of course he's going to be upset if you opt to help the slavers, and rightly so at that!

He also gives several, and I do mean several, verbal and visual cues about this if you bring him with you when you enter Crookspur. Truth be told, if I were to have any gripes about him at all in regards to the slavery thing, I'd say that I'm a bit disappointed that he doesn't seem to have any "thank you" dialog for killing the slaver kingpin with him in your party, despite him giving multiple cues that he wants to see the man dead.

• Like 1

Aloth: "Vela, that's not a very nice word... Where did you learn that?"

Vela: "Uncle Serafen."

Aloth: "I see.. We'll just have to have a little chat then, wont we?"

Has nobody... actually looked at Serafen's character sheet? His background IS "Slave", and if you pay attention to his conversations, behind all of his jokes and innuendo he was a severely abused slave at that - most notably being repeatedly abused by Malnaj. Not to mention Furrante being uncaring about him, and tossing him to the Watcher at the beginning of the game as an adult would toss candy to a child to try and get the child to follow them, simply because he believes the Watcher would be a more useful pawn than Serafen.

Of course he's going to be upset if you opt to help the slavers, and rightly so at that!

He also gives several, and I do mean several, verbal and visual cues about this if you bring him with you when you enter Crookspur. Truth be told, if I were to have any gripes about him at all in regards to the slavery thing, I'd say that I'm a bit disappointed that he doesn't seem to have any "thank you" dialog for killing the slaver kingpin with him in your party, despite him giving multiple cues that he wants to see the man dead.

I don't have a problem with him being anti-slaver, but there are some implementation problems with his responses at Crookspur.

1. If you decide to try and resolve things diplomatically by walking into Crookspur rather than sneaking in the back and liberating the slaves by force, you're immediately presented with a slave auction. My character being anti-slaver himself, I bid on and purchased the slave "Handsome Elian" so that no one else could, planning to release him immediately afterward (the game allows you to do exactly this). Serafen responds negatively during the purchase, which is understandable, but you are never given the opportunity to assuage his concerns (e.g. "trust me on this").

2. Rather than being able to buy Handsome Elian and free him on the spot, you are forced to go into the fort and speak with the administrator to complete the sale. Ok, fine.

3. Once you start THAT conversation, you are presented with the option to take the slavers' quest - f you say no, everyone goes hostile.* Figuring that probably wouldn't be good for the slave waiting outside, I take the quest figuring that I can betray him later like *every* other quest of this type.

4. And that's where Serafen goes off. When he does, you are given no option to tell him that you have no intention of actually helping the slavers and that you plan to essentially nuke the place before the day is out - all you can say is, "I'm sorry, it won't happen again." It's frustratingly limiting. By locking into you speaking with the administrator in order to free the slave and then locking you into taking his quest or killing everyone, the game takes you from trying to help a slave to being a slaver ally in the eyes of your companion with little choice on your part if you're trying to postpone an all-out fight.

*you can get out of this by choosing "farewell" immediately after he says "One more thing..." but it doesn't feel at all natural from a storytelling perspective. The whole Crookspur questline is messy as hell.

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 3

Try this then (this is the route I usually go);

1.) Tell the Ogre Cannoner at the gate to "Hurry and let me in", so you can get the diplomatic option.

2.) Bid 2k on Handsome Eliam, and talk to the lady who then tells you to go inside and give your monies to the leader.

3.) Talk to the leader inside (Serafen will look him up and down, and then say something to the effect of "I've been waiting a long time to lay eye on you")

4.) Tell the slaver leader that you only bid on Handsome Eliam so that you could kill the slaver kingpin (the attack option).

You will have to kill everyone on both two maps (as well as the dungeons, if you're so inclined) as well as manually open the gate used by the Ogre Cannoner who let you in. But Handsome Eliam will remain unharmed, unless you actually accidentally cast an aoe on him - the hostile npc's will not target him at all.

Handsome Eliam will then be completely bewildered, thank you, and then ask you what you think he should do. You then have the option to recruit him to your crew for free. You can also choose to release all the other slaves tied to the surrounding posts - though they're unnamed and will just run away without a word.

My "thing" is, is that after killing the kingpin, Serafen doesn't have any special dialog to show gratitude for the massive favor you've done him, Handsome Eliam, and all the other slaves, as well as the entire Deadfire for essentially crushing slavery in one fell swoop.

Cheers, mate!

• Like 2

Remember, the slavers view slaves - including Handsome Eliam - as "merchandise". They're not going to ruin "merchandise" and lose out on the profits associated with that "merchandise" if they can just kill you and put the product(s) up for auction again....

Try this then (this is the route I usually go);

1.) Tell the Ogre Cannoner at the gate to "Hurry and let me in", so you can get the diplomatic option.

2.) Bid 2k on Handsome Eliam, and talk to the lady who then tells you to go inside and give your monies to the leader.

3.) Talk to the leader inside (Serafen will look him up and down, and then say something to the effect of "I've been waiting a long time to lay eye on you")

4.) Tell the slaver leader that you only bid on Handsome Eliam so that you could kill the slaver kingpin (the attack option).

You will have to kill everyone on both two maps (as well as the dungeons, if you're so inclined) as well as manually open the gate used by the Ogre Cannoner who let you in. But Handsome Eliam will remain unharmed, unless you actually accidentally cast an aoe on him - the hostile npc's will not target him at all.

Handsome Eliam will then be completely bewildered, thank you, and then ask you what you think he should do. You then have the option to recruit him to your crew for free. You can also choose to release all the other slaves tied to the surrounding posts - though they're unnamed and will just run away without a word.

My "thing" is, is that after killing the kingpin, Serafen doesn't have any special dialog to show gratitude for the massive favor you've done him, Handsome Eliam, and all the other slaves, as well as the entire Deadfire for essentially crushing slavery in one fell swoop.

Cheers, mate!

Yeah, I'm aware of this option and this is the route I wound up going after finding out that everyone turns hostile no matter what. I really wish you could just decline the quest and have him say "I'll be sending a missive to Furrante about this" or whatever so that you can then handle the rest of the slave liberation the way you see fit. 

The game really should allow you to take the quest disingenuously, inform Serafen of your ruse, get help from the Slaver's targets to turn the tables on him, and then betray/kill him in glorious fashion. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but eliminating the slavers at Crookspur could have had so many more options besides sneak+fight and talk+fight.

Edited by Purudaya

It is, actually...

Since you you killed the leader, I'm pretty sure you also noticed that when you loot the area... you also get his noggin (as with a bounty quest). While he is a quest giver, he's also a bounty target...of sorts, associated with the Huana questline (a quest given by the Queen personally - though I wont spoil it for you).

I can't yet read your responses since I haven't been to Crookspur yet.

I was referring to the dialogue OP was talking about, which initiates after you accept the first slaver quest from Furrante. I took the quest thinking there would be a solution to it where you betray Furrante and free the slaves or something like that. The game did not give me any option to tell Serafen that I'm not going to actually help the slavers. Also Serafen talks in past tense, like you've already done something to slaves somewhere, but I've yet to see any slaves during the game.

• Like 1

I believe the RDC also sends you there. The problem is that I went when Furrante told me to and instead of just rescuing the slaves, I wiped the whole fort. Later, I was unable to finish Aloth's quest because the Wahaki tribe associated with the Huana quest to liberate Crookspur locked me out of certain content. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's messy compared to how other quests in the game are given and resolved.

Odd.. I did Crookspur well before also. Not to mention that I got Aloth's quest to advance to the Wahaki part well before I got sent to them by the Queen as well. Aloth's quest progressed just fine. I went the comedy/diplomatic route with the Wahaki to get access to the lift, if it makes any difference. Was basically just view a few rooms inside the temple area, which Aloth will make a few comments about (without opening a dialog window), talk to the leader, read the leaders soul.. and then tell Aloth about it after you walk a few steps out of the leaders throne room. Finished his quest without a hitch. Got sent to Wahaki later by the Queen, and just plopped the head in the leaders lap. Someone "read the bones" to apparently make sure I was telling the truth, but it still got them to agree to follow the Queen without a hitch.

I was mildly annoyed that absolutely none of the Wahaki that I liberated from Crookspur dungeon chimed in to vouch for me, but that's kind sort of a non-issue in my opinion.

Didn't really advance to far in the RDC questline since they all seemed to want me to break stuff that I didn't really want to break - plus after discovering just how uncaring Maia truly is, my opinion on the RDC went pretty sour. So I was/am unaware that/if RDC send you there as well, though I couldn't see why they would either. And I guess I never went far enough into Princepi questline, since while I... partially like them, I didn't really want to get "locked" into the Principi path for Ukaizo. As far as Ukaizo goes, I really find only the Huana path, solo path, and possibly Shattered Reef path (if I can figure out how to properly get it to open up) interesting. Huana is cultural, which I can at least respect - everyone else only seems to want access out of greed.

I'll likely at least follow the other paths, despite my disinterest in them, fairly soon simply to see if I can find any (more) bugs or glaring issues.

Feel free to message me if you'd like to compare notes or something!

Cheers!

Edited by ClockworkPenguin
  • Like 1

Seems like it...

Here's what I did, if you'd like to try and replicate it to see what I'm talking about.

1.) Craft a Luminous Adra Potion (the super expensive one that takes 2 Luminous Adra and like 1k to craft)

2.) Go to the Tavern in Shattered Reef (the "Eel" place), and talk to the undead tavern keeper. He'll offer you a drink (of blood). There's various ways to pass the check, but I did Constitution if it makes any difference.

3.) This will trigger Copperhead to want to talk to you. Do so, and agree to meet him at his busted up ship.

4.) Visit Copperhead and do all his dialog stuff but DON'T try to take off his helmet, just look at it while its still on his head (if you can).

5.) Climb/Kill your way up to the top of the tower as normal, but when you talk to the dude up top you can tell him something to the effect of "you can survive without needing to consume essence", after which you'll be able to give him the Luminous Adra potion.

If you have Pallegina in your party when you do all this, she'll rather plainly state that she doesn't know why we'd need an undead army, but agrees that she's also not the one doing the negotiating. The Watcher will then be able to say something to the effect of offering to work out a trade deal with the VTC to secure Adra potions for Shattered Reef.

....and that's as far as I got with it. PROBABLY should try doing more VTC stuff to see if that'll open it up. lol

OH! And SNEAK your happy butt out of the tavern... Getting spotted turns the whole tavern hostile, which makes you have to kill the tavern keeper. If you manage to get out of the tavern without a fight, can use the tavern properly after you give the big boss the Luminous Adra potion.

• Like 1

Now that I think of it, before Serafen yelled at me I had lied to Malnaj that Remaro is in Port Maje. Might be a bug where the game treats lying to her as a pro-slaver choice.

The part of the quest where Malnaj confronted me felt a bit unfinished as well. I got an encounter at sea, killed her and her crew. Afterwards there was nothing to loot from corpses or her ship and no dialogue options with Serafen about her torturer being killed.

I'm happy to see more people are bothered by this. I also at first accepted both Furrante's quest to go to Crookspur and the administrator's quest there and lost Serafen in the process cause there was no option available to tell him I was actually planning to betray these both bastards, but wanted to accept the quests first cause I don't wanna make a fuss immediately. I was really surprised by this cause when you accept a quest to steal some adra from the Vailian Trading Company, Pallegina gets angry at you too but you actually can tell her then that you aren't going to do it.

I reloaded and declined the administrator's quest, though he just marked the location of the tribe on my map anyway and let me go. I'm surprised to read here that everyone turned hostile after that? I just said 'I'm not gonna kill a tribe for you' and he didn't care and just let me go. And I saved the auction slave and the slaves below too without killing the whole castle.

Also kinda bothered that all Serafen does is complain about you taking slaver quests but then not having any 'thank you' or even 'I'm sorry I didn't trust you' dialogue when you free the slaves, I would love to see that added.

Seems like it...

Here's what I did, if you'd like to try and replicate it to see what I'm talking about.

1.) Craft a Luminous Adra Potion (the super expensive one that takes 2 Luminous Adra and like 1k to craft)

2.) Go to the Tavern in Shattered Reef (the "Eel" place), and talk to the undead tavern keeper. He'll offer you a drink (of blood). There's various ways to pass the check, but I did Constitution if it makes any difference.

3.) This will trigger Copperhead to want to talk to you. Do so, and agree to meet him at his busted up ship.

4.) Visit Copperhead and do all his dialog stuff but DON'T try to take off his helmet, just look at it while its still on his head (if you can).

5.) Climb/Kill your way up to the top of the tower as normal, but when you talk to the dude up top you can tell him something to the effect of "you can survive without needing to consume essence", after which you'll be able to give him the Luminous Adra potion.

If you have Pallegina in your party when you do all this, she'll rather plainly state that she doesn't know why we'd need an undead army, but agrees that she's also not the one doing the negotiating. The Watcher will then be able to say something to the effect of offering to work out a trade deal with the VTC to secure Adra potions for Shattered Reef.

....and that's as far as I got with it. PROBABLY should try doing more VTC stuff to see if that'll open it up. lol

OH! And SNEAK your happy butt out of the tavern... Getting spotted turns the whole tavern hostile, which makes you have to kill the tavern keeper. If you manage to get out of the tavern without a fight, can use the tavern properly after you give the big boss the Luminous Adra potion.

That's...pretty neat actually. I never saw any clues in the game that a luminous adra potion could serve as a blood replacement for fampyrs - is it in the potion description or did I miss it in one of the quest dialogues? Also, would've loved to sneak out but my goodie two-shoes watcher has to save those captives.

I'm happy to see more people are bothered by this. I also at first accepted both Furrante's quest to go to Crookspur and the administrator's quest there and lost Serafen in the process cause there was no option available to tell him I was actually planning to betray these both bastards, but wanted to accept the quests first cause I don't wanna make a fuss immediately. I was really surprised by this cause when you accept a quest to steal some adra from the Vailian Trading Company, Pallegina gets angry at you too but you actually can tell her then that you aren't going to do it.

I reloaded and declined the administrator's quest, though he just marked the location of the tribe on my map anyway and let me go. I'm surprised to read here that everyone turned hostile after that? I just said 'I'm not gonna kill a tribe for you' and he didn't care and just let me go. And I saved the auction slave and the slaves below too without killing the whole castle.

Also kinda bothered that all Serafen does is complain about you taking slaver quests but then not having any 'thank you' or even 'I'm sorry I didn't trust you' dialogue when you free the slaves, I would love to see that added.

Interesting that they didn't turn hostile in your playthrough - we even had the same quest giver. Maybe it's disposition/reputation related? 

Either way, I'd really like to see this quest tightened up a little bit, especially given how all the other factions seem to have quests relating to it. RDC even asked me to "clear out Crookspur" several play sessions after I already did.

Edited by Purudaya

You can. After you give the Luminous Adra potion to the leader, the two nameless Principi captives are still there and you can simply walk up to them, untie them and tell them to walk out of the nearby hole (receiving the Moderate Positive Principi boost as well).

It takes a little longer, sure, but they remain in the room, unharmed, regardless.

• Like 1

As for the Luminous Adra potion itself, it's never specifically stated that this is something that the potion can do - however the "healing qualities of Luminous Adra" are implied in multiple situations, even simply visiting the Luminous Bathhouse.

I also have a tendency to try and get at least one of every type of item, since there's no telling when something might be useful or allow alternative ways past quests. I'd actually had the potion sitting in my inventory since fairly early in the game - since you conveniently get 2 Luminous Adra dust or whatever it's called as early as the Engwithan Digsite. I figured, a potion that expensive has to be useful for something besides just drinking.

• Like 1