Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's share tips on the party AI system

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Cheston

Cheston

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you have one AI slot filled for a character and the other AI slot empty, they'll still alternate between slots in whatever order you set (random, round robin, etc...). If a slot is empty, the character will autoattack. So, if you only have one AI routine per character, and you want a character to burn through their routine more quickly, assign the AI to both slots.

(I could use confirmation on this behavior- I reproduced it on Pallegina as a Paladin + Fighter but I'd like to be sure.)

Does anyone know what "Best current threat" means? Threat to who: the character using the script, or threat in general on the field?

"Best current threat" is an ambiguous description to begin with. I assume it means the strongest enemy on the battlefield, but even then, how it determines that would be a total mystery.

I'm not sure, but I've been setting "Most Damage Done" as the target priority and that's how I've been identifying The Big Bad.

Gunzwei

Gunzwei

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

if I have a singular of spell set containing 3 spells, the condition being 'always true', and a cooldown of '15 seconds', does that mean every 15 seconds it will cast spell number 1, or will it rotate down to number 2, then 3, every 15 seconds? Im trying to figure out if I should have 3 different sets of single spells with overlapping cooldowns, or if I can have all 3 spells in a single set and they rotate downwards.

It will check the first spell and cast it if it's available. If not it will use the next one. You'll want to set up three different conditions. The caster defaults are more for the enemies (naga will skip to sunlance while a plant person uses plague). 

If the ability adds +20 defence (or any other buff that is not an inspiration), is there a way to make the character use this ability as soon as the buff expires?

Right Click the skill and look at the duration. Set the delay to that # or # + 1.

Sotnik

Sotnik

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Steam:76561198056541314

If the ability adds +20 defence (or any other buff that is not an inspiration), is there a way to make the character use this ability as soon as the buff expires?

Right Click the skill and look at the duration. Set the delay to that # or # + 1.

Thank you, I will probably use this advice; the problem is the duration of spells changing due to intellect buffs.

Gunzwei

Gunzwei

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

I think you can work around that. For example.

Wizard/xxxxx

• No Smart   -  Cast Infuse Vital Essence - Self  (default duration)
  • Has Smart -  Cast Infuse Vital Essence - Self  (modified duration - 4* seconds to take advantage of Smart)
  • No Smart   - Cast Defense skill - Self (default duration)
  • Has Smart - Cast Defense Skill - Self (modified duration)

*combat happens around 4s intervals and this is to prevent a recovery period stalling refreshing VE.

You can also make copies of this for different levels (1, 5, 10, 15, 20)  or gear/stat arrangement (WIZ/X 10 INT, WIZ/X 20 INT, WIZ/X 25 INT) so that fixing your delay times is just a matter of swapping the behavior to a different one.

• Sotnik likes this

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Set your intellect buffs to activate first, then account for them in the duration.  If it's something that changes like turning wheel then I try to use an average instead, I would account for 5 out of 10 possible bonus intelligence, possibly more depending on how I play the character.

• Sotnik likes this

PugPug

PugPug

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you have one AI slot filled for a character and the other AI slot empty, they'll still alternate between slots in whatever order you set (random, round robin, etc...). If a slot is empty, the character will autoattack. So, if you only have one AI routine per character, and you want a character to burn through their routine more quickly, assign the AI to both slots.

(I could use confirmation on this behavior- I reproduced it on Pallegina as a Paladin + Fighter but I'd like to be sure.)

Does anyone know what "Best current threat" means? Threat to who: the character using the script, or threat in general on the field?

"Best current threat" is an ambiguous description to begin with. I assume it means the strongest enemy on the battlefield, but even then, how it determines that would be a total mystery.

I'm not sure, but I've been setting "Most Damage Done" as the target priority and that's how I've been identifying The Big Bad.

I would think that would target the one who's done the most damage thus far in combat, not necessarily the highest damage dealer. But maybe that's close enough after a few rounds.

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

One thing I know is "best threat" doesn't target the biggest baddy, not really sure what it does tbh.

Sotnik

Sotnik

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Steam:76561198056541314

One thing I know is "best threat" doesn't target the biggest baddy, not really sure what it does tbh.

It is probably the same as how the enemies prioritize their targets. I presume the class and resistances are taken into account, but I don't have a proof.

Delekii

Delekii

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I feel like a vital aspect of this system is missing; the "has inspiration" stuff is a start, but far too many spells fall outside of those criteria.

It should be possible to set spells to only cast when their effect isn't already in effect. This is basically what the inspiration tags do, but it is needed on so many more. You can work around it with timers, but timers don't work for spell effects that can end early (summons dying, buffs being removed like wizard's double, etc etc)

Is there a way to do this that I'm just not seeing? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users