So I'm playing on PotD with upwards level scaling only for all content, which I realize is pretty much the hardest way to play the game. Things were going fine, but around level 8 I'm having a great deal of difficulty, and I don't know if it's because I'm taking on content I shouldn't be, or if I'm just not doing well. I've tried three different fights that have all completely obliterated me - fight at Ruins of Amira's Roost, fight at Steel Preacher, and some Ogre guy at Dunnage's docks. Is there some way for me to tell what levels the opponents are? They all seem to have super high resistances/defenses, such that my guys can't even scratch them, no matter what I do - including vulnerability debuffs and the like.

I'm wondering if I should be restarting on a lower difficulty, or if I'm not expected to be taking on this content yet and if there is some way to determine that.

Steel Preacher is like level 14 or 15. The main issue here is that "upwards level scaling" remove the skulls warning you something is too high level (it's a bug and will be patched, also, dev said in yesterday Q&A that they will add the exact level eventually). 

So while waiting for the patch/change, you can determine enemies level by using the combat log, mousing over on an attack and holding shift to expand. In the accuracy panel there is going to be a + XX level accuracy bonus. You gain +3 accuracy each level, so you just divide the level accuracy bonus by 3 and do +1 because there is no bonus at level 1.

You can do the same for your attacks and checking their deflection. As a bonus, you'll be able to tell if their weapon/armor is fine, exception, superb, etc or what their AR is and if they have some buff.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Hovering over enemies and checking their 4 defenses is usually a good ballpark measure. If you're suddenly facing a huge jump in those, you're not going to hit them.

Hey thanks - I appreciate your input. That's very helpful - also good to know the indicators are bugged. I think it just is a little extra confusing because, unlike PoE I, the map and therefore the encounters aren't as linear. 

I'm glad to hear that I don't need to be starting over, and should just be looking for content that is closer to my level range.

Steel Preacher is like level 14 or 15. The main issue here is that "upwards level scaling" remove the skulls warning you something is too high level (it's a bug and will be patched, also, dev said in yesterday Q&A that they will add the exact level eventually). 

So while waiting for the patch/change, you can determine enemies level by using the combat log, mousing over on an attack and holding shift to expand. In the accuracy panel there is going to be a + XX level accuracy bonus. You gain +3 accuracy each level, so you just divide the level accuracy bonus by 3 and do +1 because there is no bonus at level 1.

You can do the same for your attacks and checking their deflection. As a bonus, you'll be able to tell if their weapon/armor is fine, exception, superb, etc or what their AR is and if they have some buff.

I just finished the Steel Preacher at level 7, and the bestiary entry that popped up showed level 16.

Edited by Sanctuary
  • Like 1

Holy cow. Game needs to get much more difficult. I beat Steel Preacher a long time ago. Level 8 maybe? I felt it was the right level of challenge (playing on veteran). I had some enjoyable fights but in this case I might have been tackling areas way above my level. It has been a snooze fest for a while now.

Holy cow. Game needs to get much more difficult. I beat Steel Preacher a long time ago. Level 8 maybe? I felt it was the right level of challenge (playing on veteran). I had some enjoyable fights but in this case I might have been tackling areas way above my level. It has been a snooze fest for a while now.

Like PoE 1 base game, the content isn't difficult because the enemy type lack in variety. Right now, PoE II only has the Steel tank, a gunner/archer, a mage and a fighter, all of them doing the same thing. The lack of CC, lack of debuff and lack of reaction skill like dispel turns the game into a battle between DPS and Tanking which, the players will ALWAYS win because AIs are not as good as players in this kind of thing.

They might have to start giving these enemies some new skills.

Steal Preacher destroyed me in a few seconds right off after I left tutorial island at level 5 on normal. It pretty much went "no pen", "no pen", "I can't do anyt.....", dead.

I'm actually starting to wonder if Veteran isn't easier than normal. Especially with people claiming you can defeat everything by letting the AI control your character at that difficulty. I have some issue believing that, my Chanter AI just love casting invocations out of range...

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.