Which faction did you side with before sailing to Ukaizo and why?

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which faction did you side with before sailing to Ukaizo?

• The Huana
    • The Principi
    • The Vailian Trading Company
    • The Royal Deadfire Company
    • None, for Nemnok bows to nobody

Thread title says it all.

Who did you side with (if at all) and why?

I decided to side with nobody, but my personal likability ranking would have to be RDC, followed by Huana, Vailians & Principi (morally that is, if I ranked them by entertaining quests then it would be Huana, Principi, Vailians & RDC).

I didn't particulrly like the RDC the most per se, but their quests where the morally best ones imho. If I hadn't taken Maia as a companion I'd have sided with them but then they gave Maia that assasination order and that's a no no for me.

Huana come second because overall I prefered their quests to the latter two factions despite me defying most of their quests. I sided with the smugglers because they fed the Roparu & lied to the Prince about it and freed the dragon, which both pissed of the Queen big time. I didn't appreciate her tone after all that x)

Third would be the Vailians, I hate them ever since game 1 and they were too profit oriented and also nearly killed me with their animancing stuff. I should've let Captain Stinkfeathers destroy them all for that insolence.

Principi come a definitive last because Furrante supports slavery (also a big no no) and Aeldys, while entertaining, is insane.

What were your guys choices and why?

Edit: urgh, just realized I posted this in the wrong section. If any mod happens to stumble upon my rambling, please move this to Stories, pretty please  :)

Edited by Armanz

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

All the factions were selfish **** who just wanted to use me. **** them all.

While I have a number of complaints about the game, finding all the factions unpleasant is one of the biggest ones.

• Like 3

The Principi.

I was planning on going alone, but i wanted to ghost ship and didn't realize that i allied myself with them until it was too late  :w00t:

I kinda wanted to go with the Vaillians, but Maia threatened to leave and i was romancing her... Soooo.... I had to refuse the Vaillians and do something else.

The Principi.

I was planning on going alone, but i wanted to ghost ship and didn't realize that i allied myself with them until it was too late  :w00t:

I kinda wanted to go with the Vaillians, but Maia threatened to leave and i was romancing her... Soooo.... I had to refuse the Vaillians and do something else.

I just took the ghost ship quest, defeated the death guard and went for Ukaizo instead of going back to finish the alliance x)

Edited by Armanz

The Principi.

So, in other words, your Watcher was, shall we say, not thinking with his big brain.  :brows:

The Principi.

I just took the ghost ship quest, defeated the death guard and went for Ukaizo instead of going back to finish the alliance x)

Defeating him?

I just borrowed the sword and brought it back afterwards

The Principi.

So, in other words, your Watcher was, shall we say, not thinking with his big brain.  :brows:

Well, i mean, it's not like my Watcher wasn't on friendly terms with the pirates. He was a shady-as-**** rogue, who even pickpocketed Edér while he was opening up about his feelings talking about Elafa (or whatever her name was, wasn't listening, was ruffling through his pockets)

Edited by Juodas Varnas

Urgh, I meant the Captain of the Gloating Hangman. I defeated her, took her ship and just didn't return to the Principi to fulfill the quest and sailed alone into the light (right after bringing back the sword, I'm a Paladin/Druid after all!).

Edited by Armanz

All the factions were selfish **** who just wanted to use me. **** them all.

While I have a number of complaints about the game, finding all the factions unpleasant is one of the biggest ones.

I'm kinda split on this.  On one hand, part of me would very much love for there to have been a faction that a good and benevolent Watcher could side with and feel like it was the "good" choice.  OTOH, it seems obvious that this lack of a "good" choice was very much by design.  You're stuck having to swim the murky waters of all these very morally questionable to just downright bad factions.

And on top of this, you're stuck with some Companions who are definitely aligned with certain factions, and acting in a particular way can cause a Companion to leave you, which only makes the choice of a faction that much more difficult.

The Principi.

Well, i mean, it's not like my Watcher wasn't on friendly terms with the pirates. He was a shady-as-**** rogue, who even pickpocketed Edér while he was opening up about his feelings talking about Elafa (or whatever her name was, wasn't listening, was ruffling through his pockets)

OK, now that's a new low... pick pocketing a party member, and worse, pick pocketing perhaps your most loyal party member, Eder!  I guess that your Watcher rogue really is a  scoundrel!!!

I sided with no one. All of the factions existed as means to an end for my character. Though I do hate how the companions aggressively push you to side with a faction, it's so stupid. If you decided to follow me, then you should have known my evil behind would have back stabbed every single faction. 

Edited by DragonWiz

I also took too sailing alone.  I would've liked to have kept the location of Ukaizo a complete secret from everyone else as well but it doesn't seem like that's an option, at least I didn't see a way to trigger the ending without it.  

An interesting thing I noticed is that if you find

Magran's Peak or whatever the place is called on the worldmap and enter before even going anywhere else it updates your quest log to that stage of the main quest, since you've already found Eothas.  I'm curious if it's possible to skip almost the entire game and jump straight to Ukaizo at super early levels (assuming you can actually kill the things necessary, like the guardian.).  

It makes me wonder if you can speed run the ending in like an hour.  

I sided with the Vailians.

They seemed to be the most reasonable choice, as the Director  seemed like a genuine nice person who had a healthy conscience. They would grind Adra whether or not you side with them, so that was not a deciding factor for me. Biggest point for them is : They were not some pretentious, I think I am superior then others douchebags.

Just humans trying to make profit, and if they are also doing some good while making money, I can look away from them grinding adra. Obviously I am biased towards them, but I just can't stand the other factions, it was an easy choice for me. ( Also that accent is amazing )

Spoiler - The game ending scene resulted in a really positive outcome for the Deadfire so I am super happy I sided with them.

Edited by Hazmy
  • Like 1

I've seen all the endings and all the factions are big douches to the natives and each other, but Vailian Republics Company at least are up front about it. Also, they're the best bet to fix the Wheel with their animancers. Capitalism rules. Also, I choose to stick by old buddies - siding with the Vailians makes Pallegina very happy.

Going alone without factions is just as bad as going with Principi - chaos rules supreme in the region, everything is bad.

Rauatai Royal Company are a bunch of pro-militaristic opportunists that think they can do a hostile takeover of the region with covert assassinations and big guns.

Huana are stuck in their outdated traditions and abysmal caste system up their arse to see what's going on around them, they deserve to be conquered by more progressive nations.

Edited by Aramintai

The least worse option ending-wise is probably VTC, but my character wouldn't side with slavers. The VTC shareholders are all probably involved in the trade, judging from their response to it.

RDC plan on invading and turning the deadfire into a giant plantation/squashing the indigenous culture, VTC are amoral profiteers seeking to strip resources, Principi are murderous criminals, and the Huana are inept and superstitious isolationists with a brutal caste system. Screw them all.

Edited by Mazama

I sided with no one. All of the factions existed as means to an end for my character. Though I do hate how the companions aggressively push you to side with a faction, it's so stupid. If you decided to follow me, then you should have known my evil behind would have back stabbed every single faction. 

Ummm, Maia didn't join the Watcher's party to ally herself with the Watcher.  She was assigned to go with the Watcher, by her employers.  I'm not exactly sure that Pallegina is the same way, but she's not that different in that regard. 

I think that it's a big leap to expect that either Maia or (perhaps) Pallegina would ignore their allegiance to their bosses just because they are working with the Watcher at their bosses' behest.

I like the RDC ending, but they asked too much of me to get it. You want a boat ride? Sure. Just assassinate the reigning monarch and help me establish colonial dominance.

They all asked too much of me for what I needed, really. Except Aeldys, which is who I went with. But I may just go it alone next time.