There is penalty using ranged weapon when they got the trait "Unfit for Melee", pistols and blunder don't have that problem.

Well if you equip gun+melee and dive into melee combat you will never hit with your gun only with your melee weapon.

Generally gun+melee works like this, if your character is :

Away from the target you will only attack with the range weapon.

Near the target you will only attack with the melee weapon.

The bonus of using this 'Style' is that its versatile and you gain the extra Recovery Speed for each of your weapons meaning that you will shoot faster in range or hit faster in melee compare.

The shield+pistol/blunder ( recommending blunder ) is a viable choice and a very interesting one. But you propably will have accuracy problems from the innate minus accuracy of the shield and the blunderbuss ( need testing to see if the Inaccurate trait is disabled when targeting someone in melee range ).

Hope this helps.

Between the "real thing" and the "indistinguishable fake" which is worth more?

-Of course, the real thing worth more.

-They have equal value.

-The fake is of far greater value. In its deliberate attempt to be real,

its more "real" than the real thing.

~The choice is yours~

There is penalty using ranged weapon when they got the trait "Unfit for Melee", pistols and blunder don't have that problem.

Well if you equip gun+melee and dive into melee combat you will never hit with your gun only with your melee weapon.

The bonus of using this 'Style' is that its versatile and you gain the extra Recovery Speed for each of your weapons meaning that you will shoot faster in range or hit faster in melee compare.

The shield+pistol/blunder ( recommending blunder ) is a viable choice and a very interesting one. But you propably will have accuracy problems from the innate minus accuracy of the shield and the blunderbuss ( need testing to see if the Inaccurate trait is disabled when targeting someone in melee range ).

Hope this helps.

Why blunder instead of pistol?

Unless your entire party is ranged I don't think this'll work as a 'tank'.

I would really like to know why pls. Im trying to go with the pirate theme but i really like to create tank characters. If youve seen the TV show Blacksail i want a character who fights like Blackbeard.

Hope this helps.

Why blunder instead of pistol?

Unless your entire party is ranged I don't think this'll work as a 'tank'.

I would really like to know why pls. Im trying to go with the pirate theme but i really like to create tank characters. If youve seen the TV show Blacksail i want a character who fights like Blackbeard.

Well, your tank is going to sit there at range while all your melee guys close the enemy. So your other guys are going to end up tanking.

Get a Large shield proficiency, 'The Wall' is wickedly effective, and if you're shooting everyone than not moving is really not a big deal.  You will have to really learn positioning at the start of fights, and get the fighter ability to Pull enemies to you.

As said before, if you're a ways off from the enemy, and stationary shooting them, and your melee guys run past you to fight the enemies, the enemies will melee your hitters not the shooter.  You'll have to hold off on launching your hitters until they've locked onto your Shielder.  Even then, many fights will have you surrounded, so at the least you'll need someone that can off tank, while your main holds the majority of the mobs; or highly effective Crowd Control to lock down enemies.

This sort of tank idea would probably work better as an Off tank, that has a weapon set with shield, and another with either a 2 handed Range weapon, or dual 1 handed Range, which it switches to once the adds are dealt with.