What about atmosphere compared to PoE1?

Hi everyone,

I paused my run on Deadfire after the Intro because I'm perfectionnist and hardcore gamer. So I'm  waiting  for fix, new contents and new difficulty for a perfect first run.

But what's your feeling about atmosphere? 

Personnaly I like dark fantasy, adult theme, mystical and gloomy medieval ambience.  PoE1 is really cool in this way. Divinity Original Sin II was a pain in the ass for me with no serious and intensity.

Is this spirit still the same in Deadfire and what's your feeling about this "pirate road trip"? Too "fun"? Too "shiny and too distant from the first PoE?"

Edited by DaKatarn
  • Like 1

Other than that, while I'm desperately in love with this game even I must admit much of the tone of dialogue, especially companion dialogue, is lighter and more prone to archetypes. I think maybe they were going for a more BG2 vibe without losing too much of the serious tone but it came off a bit weird to me. I do still quite like them and the dialogue is very entertaining but from what you've said it may not be your ideal. I'd still highly recommend though

In terms of the setting, it's just great. PoE1 set on the high seas, it benefits a lot from the vibrance if the world and the sense of adventure it provides. Really well done.

Edited by fortuntek
  • Like 4

The adventurous atmosphere in Deadfire is pretty much spot on, I just wish there were even more dialogue and companion options and deep narrative.

• Like 10

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

if you are looking for depressing and such...

I haven't found anything like that in this one . On the other hand , I for one don't mind a different setting . 

Here it's Pirate , Booze and politic headech . Just wanna make you drink alot , sing a lousy song and get a tan (the beach are gorgeous) . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Personnaly I like dark fantasy, adult theme, mystical and gloomy medieval ambience.  PoE1 is really cool in this way. Divinity Original Sin II was a pain in the ass for me with no serious and intensity.

Is this spirit still the same in Deadfire and what's your feeling about this "pirate road trip"? Too "fun"? Too "shiny and too distant from the first PoE?"

If you are looking for a dark, gloomy, apocalyptical atmosphere then Deadfire does not have that as much as the first PoE. The atmosphere of Deadfire is definitely less "dense" and more light-hearted.

This is also reflected in the dialogue options and companion dialogues etc. - I had to pay attention to not snort coffee out of my nose a few times, e.g. (no spoiler really) when one of the gods held this looooong kind of philosophical speech that almost had you rolling your eyes because of the heavy-handedness and then the first dialogue option was simply "Bull****." :grin:

So, compared to the first game it is much lighter IMHO and the threat is not really as present at all.

Edited by Moriendor

It's more light-hearted than PoE1 but it's not... silly or anything. It's still easy enough to take seriously, but there is a bit more humor in it. I think they hit a nice balance.

Aside from that, in terms of visuals and audio, the atmosphere is absolutely top notch. Neketaka is a work of art in my opinion, finally a large cRPG city worth a damn.

• Like 9

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

if you are looking for depressing and such...

I haven't found anything like that in this one . On the other hand , I for one don't mind a different setting . 

Here it's Pirate , Booze and politic headech . Just wanna make you drink alot , sing a lousy song and get a tan (the beach are gorgeous) . 

I'm not a suicidal emo ^^ 

But I'm afraid that the theme pirates erase the soul of the Pillars' universe (not any play of word inside). And the answers of this thread confirm my fears :/.

A touch of humor is welcomed especially if it corresponds to the personality of a character BUT humor for humor because is so cool and nothing has importance is a bad way for me.

The world of Eora isn't a Marvel movie... 

Edited by DaKatarn
  • Like 1

If you are looking for a dark, gloomy, apocalyptical atmosphere then Deadfire does not have that as much as the first PoE. The atmosphere of Deadfire is definitely less "dense" and more light-hearted.

This is also reflected in the dialogue options and companion dialogues etc. - I had to pay attention to not snort coffee out of my nose a few times, e.g. (no spoiler really) when one of the gods held this looooong kind of philosophical speech that almost had you rolling your eyes because of the heavy-handedness and then the first dialogue option was simply "Bull****." :grin:

So, compared to the first game it is much lighter IMHO and the threat is not really as present at all.

So, I think my keyboard is waterproof anyway. If it's not too often, it will be okay.

I hope the DLC will be more "dense" and gothic.

Edited by DaKatarn

Yeah, Deadfire is a lot less grim than Pillars 1. No entering the first village and seeing a tree full of hanged bodies, sentenced to die because they couldn't cure (or were suspect of causing) a plague of soulles children and blighted crops. No temples filled with the spirits of the dead killed during a religious pogrom or walled in and starved to death.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

It's less bleak than POE1 overall, but that wasn't hard POE1 was depressive from start to finish just from the color palette.

Saying that Deadfire has The Gullet, slavers and pirates being pirates.

You can also have an almost no fun party with Pallegina, Aloth and Maia. All duty, all the time.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Fairly similar: wildly inconsistent. But the True Grimderp is a bit rarer, and the population doesn't consist entirely of bigoted idiots.

It kind of seems to if you play an Orlan or a Godlike, though.

It's less bleak than POE1 overall, but that wasn't hard POE1 was depressive from start to finish just from the color palette.

You can also have an almost no fun party with Pallegina, Aloth and Maia. All duty, all the time.

Why would you do that to yourself though.

Aloth used to have a sense of humor too to make it worse :(

• Like 2

Depressive is a little rude IMO, it's just realistic without any pity and no high-fantasy.

Maybe I'm mad but my first reflex with Deadfire was to configure colors for colder tints and less "shiny".

With no-spoiler of course, side quest still "gloomy background" at least? Familly tragedy, murder, sex content or torment?

Hi everyone,

I paused my run on Deadfire after the Intro because I'm perfectionnist and hardcore gamer. So I'm  waiting  for fix, new contents and new difficulty for a perfect first run.

My man, the atmosphere is totally different.

Poe 2 to Poe 1 is like comparing Diablo 1 to Diablo 3 in terms of mood. Xcom 1994 to Xcom 2.

Deadfire is more like "Adventure theme" a la Indiana jones.

Deadfire is pretty cool and very different from Dyrwood but in all honesty i like Poe1 theme more. 

Raedric hold, Durgan Battery, Concelhaut keep, all classic dark medieval fashion stuff. Deadfire is too shiny for me but i understand that it fits the Pirate\Caribbean theme.

The only Poe1 stuff i found in Deadfire are the dungeons, those are pretty dark and cool. The slaves dungeon, altought small, feels like from Diablo 1. 

I really hope they return to Dyrwood in Pillars 3

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 2

Really appreciate the Colonial era exploration and intrigue, the South Pacific Island/NZ Maori/Caribbean cultural influences, and the emphasis on naval exploration. That stuff is really in my wheelhouse.  If its even remotely in yours, cant see you not enjoying it. There's still plenty of room for them to drop in traditional dungeons (and the narrative themes around them). 

Why would you do that to yourself though.

Aloth used to have a sense of humor too to make it worse :(

I said almost no fun.  These 3 aren't goofy like Edér, exuberant like Xoti, fabulous like Tekehu or flirty pirates like Serafen. They are serious which means deadpan humor abound, a ymmv thing (I prefer it to "Uranus" type of humor personally). I like playing serious sarcastic character so we are all peas in a party.

Also, Maia and Pallegina have the most hilarious banter I heard in the game so far.

With no-spoiler of course, side quest still "gloomy background" at least? Familly tragedy, murder, sex content or torment?

Familly tragedy: yes and in some cases you can make it worst instead of better

Murder/torment: yes

Sex content: there is nudity, innuendos and "courtesan" in the game, but that's not necessarily gloomy. I also didn't talk to everyone, I'm keeping stuff for replay, so I might have missed some great sex scandal.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Dyrwood: War burned land plagued by curse of the dead god.

Deadfire: Adventuroes archipelago with shanties, pirates, and too many factions. The god is alive this time, but some dont believe.

Generally lighter, but it makes sense.

It feels like the Caed Nua Crew have gone on vacation. I’m into it.

Deadfire still has its fair share of dark moments, plus the more mundane insidiousness of the major factions exploiting the region, but it’s not as relentlessly bleak as PoE was. It doesn’t quite stray into the openly pantomime territory Larian is so fond of, but it’s not taking itself quite as seriously as PoE did either.

In a way I think that balance gives the setting more weight if anything. The Dyrwood seemed such a terrible place to live that Thaos was probably doing everyone a favour. The world has to be worth saving to make saving the world mean anything.

• Like 5

At first, you're happily exploring the deadfire with your perky companions, drinking rum with pirates, naming every unknown island "India", and chasing a green giant filled with a lot of soul.

Then you find the slavers, the "manifest destiny" imperialists, the soul-crushing colonialism and the Huana caste system. You're still happily drinking rum with pirates and taking in the atmosphere, but mostly because somewhere along the road you realized that not everyone's "Age of Discovery" comes with good findings, and you might as well have fun before the open seas become open season.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I'm the opposite.  I don't enjoy dark, gloomy themes.  I'm not looking for it to be a knee-slapping comedy either.  If I want dark and gloomy, I'd just go read some old-school existential novel ... and be bored senseless.

• Like 2

Dyrwood: War burned land plagued by curse of the dead god.

Eh?  if that was supposed to be the case, it did a really bad job of highlighting it.  The hollowborn thing was real (though not a curse by gods, living or dead) and it was rather intact and full of people and trade for a 'war burned' land.  Overall impression is they lost a bridge that you never see to a people they didn't like and preferred not to deal with.