Also don't get me wrong I don't think Eder should've been romancable if the writer didn't want to make him so. I just wish the reasoning was a bit more character friendly I would say? Instead of feeling so metagamey.

If he saw the PC as a means to go right where he went wrong with his brother, or if he really didn't want to ruin their friendship. I think he should've said that instead of the vague handwavey explanation he gives.

• Like 6

I agree with Midian13. It's really disappointing that you can't influence Edér in any way, like in the first game. I told him after his quest to leave that kid alone and let him make his own mistakes and figure out what he wants. Apparently it didn't affect the epilogue at all, because he ended up camping on Elafa's grave and raising her kid to be like Edér remembers Elafa was, which, in my opinion, is unhealthy for both Edér and Bearn, and I bet it's not what she wanted. I wish I could have a talk with Edér about how to do parenting right, because it looks like he ruined the guy's personality to satisfy his own nostalgia. If nothing my Watcher says or does can influence the outcome of the quest, then what's the point of that quest? Should I let Bearn die next time to make Edér move on? Just because the option to talk with Edér about what he really wants in life is absent?

• Like 4

I agree with Midian13. It's really disappointing that you can't influence Edér in any way, like in the first game. I told him after his quest to leave that kid alone and let him make his own mistakes and figure out what he wants. Apparently it didn't affect the epilogue at all, because he ended up camping on Elafa's grave and raising her kid to be like Edér remembers Elafa was, which, in my opinion, is unhealthy for both Edér and Bearn, and I bet it's not what she wanted. I wish I could have a talk with Edér about how to do parenting right, because it looks like he ruined the guy's personality to satisfy his own nostalgia. If nothing my Watcher says or does can influence the outcome of the quest, then what's the point of that quest? Should I let Bearn die next time to make Edér move on? Just because the option to talk with Edér about what he really wants in life is absent?

Even if he's dead sadly no more dialogue.

That said I let him die by accident. I didn't realize I actually had to rush lol.

That said Bearn can also reject Eder in which case he goes crawling back to the Watcher which is sad/hilarious.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1

Why not? I want to know now lol.

Because it sounds like a really bad fan finction  :grin:  Seriously its cringeworthy and I sincerely hope its not canon.

It sounds awfully like a bug tbh... You'd think you would be able to influence him in *some* way at least.

My take is that Eder doesn't really know what he wants. 

Eder doesn't really like to use his head for thinking though, so its sort of understandable that this whole affair is one giant mess.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I hope that with an expansion/DLC, Eder's ending will be changed because this is just depressing. :ermm:

I haven't beaten the game yet, but if he spends the rest of his life "camping on Elafa's grave" then that is just lame. He deserves better.

Edited by Tamyn
  • Like 1

Eder doesn't really like to use his head for thinking though, so its sort of understandable that this whole affair is one giant mess.

And that's what Edér has the Watcher for! Imo sending Bearn to become an apprentice of some craftsman somewhere in Neketaka, or to learn medicine with the Dawnstars, or to join the animancers - it all would be better, because he needs the kind of environment where he could grow on his own, make friends and find out what he wants. Edér, judging from the epilogue, never gave him a chance to do so. For a game which leitmotif is sort of the choice between autonomy and submission, the absence of such choice for Edér's quest is disappointing and makes it look incomplete or not very well-thought-out.

• Like 5

That said I let him die by accident. I didn't realize I actually had to rush lol.

That said Bearn can also reject Eder in which case he goes crawling back to the Watcher which is sad/hilarious.

Have you beaten the game? Will Eder still end up camping near his ex's grave if Bearn dies? Or if Eder comes crawling back? I'm asking because that's a crappy ending I really want to avoid.

Frankly, I have half a mind to just let Bearn die because, hey, it's one thing to ask around for an old flame of Eder's since he's a friend, but quite another to drop everything and rush after the old flame's son who we only met once and don't really know. I mean, WTF? I actually wish there was an dialog option that says "I don't give a s**t" cuz I really don't, that's how badly the quest is written.

Honestly I don't think he isn't interested in Xoti because of her beliefs, more because she reminds him of himself.  Also, she is really young.  He fought in the Saint's War, she was literally just a kid like 5-6 years old at that time.  In fact, other than Aloth (and maybe the watcher), everyone in the party is notably younger than Eder. 

So I can understand the implicit idea being that he is along to help his friend (The Watcher) and wants answers from Eothas, but is older and wiser caring nothing for the other aspects of life.  Bear in mind, in the very quest you talk about he makes it clear he is looking for her because she is the last link to his old life and he feels like he could relate to her.  Also if he was in love with her, why exactly would he want to hop in the sack with someone else the next day when he finds out she is dead?  Shouldn't he be a bit emotionally distraught?

From the conversation he says its not love. I always considered him as just sticking to the past a lot, living in the memories and what ifs, which is I think a normal human feeling actually. When the world around you is going insane, turning upside down, its normal to seek solace in something familiar.

What scares me is how many people are after Bearn's blood now. The poor innocent kid  :grin:

Thats said, I am surprised there was no conversation after Eder's quest. Every other companion has a post-quest discussion on what happened and how they feel, even if it doesn't affect their end-game state (i.e. Pallegina), and Eder doesn't. I wonder if its intentional or an oversight.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

He only likes Orlans (the freak).

Hey, the man loves animals. A lot.

He does pet Serafen so....

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

Thats said, I am surprised there was no conversation after Eder's quest. Every other companion has a post-quest discussion on what happened and how they feel, even if it doesn't affect their end-game state (i.e. Pallegina), and Eder doesn't. I wonder if its intentional or an oversight.

You can talk to Eder about the quest on the boat afterwords. If the quest goes "badly" he definitely brings it up in party banter and his dialogue at the ending.

Honestly I don't think he isn't interested in Xoti because of her beliefs, more because she reminds him of himself.  Also, she is really young.  He fought in the Saint's War, she was literally just a kid like 5-6 years old at that time.  In fact, other than Aloth (and maybe the watcher), everyone in the party is notably younger than Eder. 

So I can understand the implicit idea being that he is along to help his friend (The Watcher) and wants answers from Eothas, but is older and wiser caring nothing for the other aspects of life.  Bear in mind, in the very quest you talk about he makes it clear he is looking for her because she is the last link to his old life and he feels like he could relate to her.  Also if he was in love with her, why exactly would he want to hop in the sack with someone else the next day when he finds out she is dead?  Shouldn't he be a bit emotionally distraught?

Xoti's actually a lot older than she comes off. I think she mentions she's 27 in one of her lines. 

Anyway I think it's partly her religious zeal and partly her intensity and inner darkness that puts him off. I can't really blame him, tbh.

• Like 1

I can’t think of any reason someone might not want to romance a person who regularly blacks out to commune with the gods and the souls of dead people, and whom the God of Death can make souls explode out of at a moment’s notice.

• Like 3

Have you beaten the game? Will Eder still end up camping near his ex's grave if Bearn dies? Or if Eder comes crawling back? I'm asking because that's a crappy ending I really want to avoid.

Frankly, I have half a mind to just let Bearn die because, hey, it's one thing to ask around for an old flame of Eder's since he's a friend, but quite another to drop everything and rush after the old flame's son who we only met once and don't really know. I mean, WTF? I actually wish there was an dialog option that says "I don't give a s**t" cuz I really don't, that's how badly the quest is written.

He goes with the Watcher.

You can talk to Eder about the quest on the boat afterwords. If the quest goes "badly" he definitely brings it up in party banter and his dialogue at the ending.

Oh alright. Must have been a bug on my part then. I solved the quest well and saved Bearn, but never got a follow-up conversation.

Honestly I don't think he isn't interested in Xoti because of her beliefs, more because she reminds him of himself. Also, she is really young. He fought in the Saint's War, she was literally just a kid like 5-6 years old at that time. In fact, other than Aloth (and maybe the watcher), everyone in the party is notably younger than Eder.

He's not that old. According to the strategy guide he was 32 in the first game, so now he's 37. That's not old at all.

Oh alright. Must have been a bug on my part then. I solved the quest well and saved Bearn, but never got a follow-up conversation.

I wonder if I got the same bug. Sometimes "this character wants to talk to you" icon appears on them, but they say nothing new. The only conversation I got from Edér afer the quest was the one where he friendzoned the Watcher and asked if he should adopt Elafa's kid (who should be about as old as Edér was when he went to war, btw). I told him to leave the kid alone and let him figure out who he wants to be on his own, and he said "yeah I think you are right" and still left in the end to turn Bearn into an "irreverant stubborn hothead". Care bear Edér strikes again. You ruined a good kid, congrats! :grin: 

I've read about the option that if you make Edér atheist but somehow manage to keep Bearn pious, then Bearn will escape from Edér to live on his own. Which I think is good for the kid. Better than to feed Edér's overgrown sense of obligation. But I didn't try myself to get that ending, because for my Watcher convincing Edér to give up his faith but at the same time convincing the kid to keep his - these would be two mutually exclusive things. Besides, I'd hate to make the kid hate Edér. Edér's great! How dare you hate him, kid? :) I'd rather keep Bearn on the ship and teach him about explosives, seafaring, and other fun things. He's old enough to be a sailor, he needs a job, not a baby-sitter.

Even if he's dead sadly no more dialogue.

Purely for the sake of masochistic curiosity... can you tell him to sod off when he comes crawling back? I have plans for my second run (if I ever get that far... slow bug fixes are slow)... I so rarely play an utter bastard, but I'd kinda like to give it a try since we're in a 'rough' piratical atmosphere here.    

Watching him "friendzone" an Orlan watcher, then run off to fulfill a fairly selfish flight of fancy, then come crawling back just to be made to slink off again sounds... well.. horrible actually, but also evil, sadistic, and fun mwahaha!!  :devil: :devil: :devil:

I was puzzled why Eder was not a romance, especially after waking up to find him watching over you (who watches the Watcher?) and with what Eothas says to him about taking care of you.

I interpret his personal quest as an attempt to resolve something that had been bugging him for years. While the fate of Woden was foremost on his mind, he wasn't thinking about it, but solving the Hollowborn crisis brought it back. Then he finds out he might have a son and both this old flame and his maybe-son are caught up in an Eothas cult. It's one part midlife crisis, another part crisis of faith, and not just burning feelings for Elafa.

Hopefully he could move on and maybe in the future (offscreen or on) it might finally be his and the Watcher's time.

• Like 2

Purely for the sake of masochistic curiosity... can you tell him to sod off when he comes crawling back? I have plans for my second run (if I ever get that far... slow bug fixes are slow)... I so rarely play an utter bastard, but I'd kinda like to give it a try since we're in a 'rough' piratical atmosphere here.    

Watching him "friendzone" an Orlan watcher, then run off to fulfill a fairly selfish flight of fancy, then come crawling back just to be made to slink off again sounds... well.. horrible actually, but also evil, sadistic, and fun mwahaha!!  :devil: :devil: :devil:

No, it only gets mentioned in the epilogue that he comes back to your ship. So you can't roleplay it.

You can kick him out when he tells you "in another life", something like "I don't want to travel with you anymore!" He sounds slightly offended but leaves without much drama.