[Input Device] Steam Controller keyboard overlay popup works incorrectly and cannot be disabled

Bedwyr

Question

1. A brief summary of the bug.

The Steam Controller keyboard overlay pops up automatically whenever there are text input prompts. (I'll be uploading another topic requesting how I can turn this behavior off.) Editing the value in the overlay changes the value in the text prompt, but does not actually change the value. Any further input will reveal the original value.

Example:

- A vendor offers infinite amounts of alcohol.

- I click the the item and the text input prompt pops up. The steam keyboard overlay automatically pops up obscuring the game.

- I edit the default number (50) using the Steam controller to 10 and press the virtual enter key.

- The text input prompt shows '10', but changing the item count directly or confirming the amount reveals the original default number '50', indicating that POEII sensed the keyboard input but did not correctly change the value in the prompt.

- Because I cleared the original keyboard overlay, I can now click the left and right scroll arrows to get a desirable amount which works correctly.

Theory:

There is another bug report dealing with the Steam Overlay and the inability to correctly register mouseclicks. It is possible this input problem could be related: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97411-input-device-mouse-click-doesnt-work-mostly/

2. A screen shot of the bug.

Unable, please see description (The problem requires multiple screenshots and I don't have the time right now to edit; the description should be reasonably clear.)

3. Detailed steps of how to reproduce the bug.

See the above example.

4. A save file from before the bug occurred.*

N/A

5. An output.log file.**

Attached

output_log.txt

5 answers to this question

1. A brief summary of the bug.

The Steam Controller keyboard overlay pops up automatically whenever there are text input prompts. I want to disable this behavior as it is disruptive but cannot find a way to do it.

Attempts to troubleshoot the problem:

- Searches for disabling the behavior yield launch options switches (-NoKeyboardUI) for another game (Rocket League) that are irrelevant here.

- I have triple-checked my controller configuration. Keyboard overlay is not bound to any inputs.

- I have switched to the default recommended configuration.

- I have tried a second popular community configuration. The overlay is not bound in any of those cases that I could see.

- I disabled the desktop  configuration's overlay binding to stick click with no change (the popup is automatic, unrelated to any input).

2. A screen shot of the bug.

N/A

3. Detailed steps of how to reproduce the bug.

See above description.

4. A save file from before the bug occurred.*

N/A

5. An output.log file.**

Attached

output_log.txt

I've merged these two threads as they seem most likely related. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've merged these two threads as they seem most likely related. 

As you wish. I think they're essentially different problems, though, because the first is about registering inputs whereas the latter is about a way to disable a known feature.

I have been trying to resolve as much as I could thanks to Steam Support but have had no luck. The implementation of this functionality is completely up to Obsidian. I'd like to request that the function that causes the keyboard pop-up to happen be opt-out, either via a launch switch or an in-game option. Here's Steam Support's last message to me:

Thanks for waiting while I looked into this.

Unfortunately, with how the current design for the On-Screen Keyboard is, Obsidian will need to add a feature like Rocket League's -NoKeyboardUI launch option.

I understand this isn't ideal and I'm forwarding your frustrations on to the appropriate department, to look into what can be done for removing the On-Screen Keyboard or opting out of it's automatic display.

I'm sorry that I dont' have a better answer for you at this time.

Thanks for using Steam,
Emry

For reference, -NoKeyboardUI is a launch option switch specific to Rocket League that is used for similar reasons (the pop up completely obscures the screen and is of limited use in their chat screens).