will anything be added to deepen the combat?

I know the combat system is based on dice rolls and such, and im not suggesting going to real time since that will never happen, but i got tired of using the same skill over and over. Why not add penalties to using the same skill repeatedly in a fight? Wouldnt a person notice if someone was trying to whack away with all his force, and change tactis accordingly? it wouldnt be hard to implement, maybe they could just add attack penalties or something. Also, what about the idea of some attacks being more effective in certain situations? like if you see a guy lose balance a power attack might be more effective in order to knock him to the ground, or if he seems to be slowing down for a second, press the attack with a flurry? obviously, these arent perfect, but anything beats simply sitting back and simply making sure the command queue is stacked with power attacks.

I know the combat system is based on dice rolls and such, and im not suggesting going to real time since that will never happen, but i got tired of using the same skill over and over. Why not add penalties to using the same skill repeatedly in a fight? Wouldnt a person notice if someone was trying to whack away with all his force, and change tactis accordingly? it wouldnt be hard to implement, maybe they could just add attack penalties or something. Also, what about the idea of some attacks being more effective in certain situations? like if you see a guy lose balance a power attack might be more effective in order to knock him to the ground, or if he seems to be slowing down for a second, press the attack with a flurry? obviously, these arent perfect, but anything beats simply sitting back and simply making sure the command queue is stacked with power attacks.

Well the thing is even though the animations don't show it you are doing things differently. Obviously it would be stupid to keep doing the power attack animation or flurry in real life but this is not going to change. It's just not worth it. Vader has a very heavy handed style and he is one of the most powerful Sith ever. So it's really not a big deal. Anyways this is not the problem. The real problem is simply how easy combat is. If fights were really hard and you had to run, throw a grenade, shoot him when stunned and run to survive you could care less about this. ;) Only hard fight in the whole game is Bendak Starkiller as a level 2 scoundrel. :)

I agree that Bendak was the toughest fight for me because I intentionally didn't level up. I only killed Bendak because you could save mid-battle. While I exploited it heavily, I'd recommend removing that from KOTOR:2.

I agree that Bendak was the toughest fight for me because I intentionally didn't level up. I only killed Bendak because you could save mid-battle. While I exploited it heavily, I'd recommend removing that from KOTOR:2.

There's nothing wrong with saving in battle. First of all casual gamers need it. Second of all it would have made Bendak impossible to beat without leveling up which was f*ed up because getting to level 8 before finally getting a Jedi level is screwed up. So you never know when it may prove useful in KOTOR2. I like to think of it as getting really lucky in a fight.

Oh and I know that's why I said Bendak is the toughest. Because everyone stays at level 2 but still wants to do that quest.

was bendak starkiller the guy you fought in the arena? if it was, well that fight was a joke, just as was evey other fight in the game. and thats with the game on hard the whole way through (the only time i bothered to play through it). so difficulty does need to be increased, but the one-on-one fights like with starkiller and malak were really weak. i thought the gladiator thing would be cool but it ws really lame since there was no depth to the melee fighting. so i guess it kind of is a problem for someone like me, who was hoping that a game centered around a war between two jedi factions would have a decent melee system.

Second of all it would have made Bendak impossible to beat without leveling up which was f*ed up because getting to level 8 before finally getting a Jedi level is screwed up.

Oh, please. Saving levels is just so munchkinny, not to mention it's metagaming. I'd call it cheating, but it doesn't make the game much easier, really.

Logain, those fights are only easy with a good build. I've seen builds that have a real problem with Malak (LS scoundrel/consular, for instance). Sure, you can say they're just bad builds, but it's kind of rough on someone when his build works OK all the way through to the endboss and then fails.

I'm not sure how your suggestions improve things. It just means you have to change feats every so often. It's still not strategy. And it penalizes characters who don't have enough feats to master more than one combat style.

was bendak starkiller the guy you fought in the arena? if it was, well that fight was a joke, just as was evey other fight in the game. and thats with the game on hard the whole way through (the only time i bothered to play through it). so difficulty does need to be increased, but the one-on-one fights like with starkiller and malak were really weak. i thought the gladiator thing would be cool but it ws really lame since there was no depth to the melee fighting. so i guess it kind of is a problem for someone like me, who was hoping that a game centered around a war between two jedi factions would have a decent melee system.

He's not a joke when youre 2 levels! One hit from him means instant death.

Oh, please. Saving levels is just so munchkinny, not to mention it's metagaming. I'd call it cheating, but it doesn't make the game much easier, really.

First of all it's an SP game. People can cheat to their hearts content if they so desire. They payed 50 dollars for the game to play it their way. Not so you can tell them how it should be played. Second, some of us were just a little PO'd to find out we had to wait 8 frigging levels to get the Jedi we we're promised. So we could be a nice level 12 jedi while all our NPC's we're level 18-20 Jedi. Yeah that was genius on Bioware's part. <_< Revan! Former Dark Lord of the Sith. one of the most powerful jedi ever! Level 12. <_< Maybe if they had made combat and levels more like PnP where 12 actually IS high. But they didn't so forgive me, oh great god of how I should play my games, If I wan't to be a Jedi.

was bendak starkiller the guy you fought in the arena? if it was, well that fight was a joke, just as was evey other fight in the game. and thats with the game on hard the whole way through (the only time i bothered to play through it).  so difficulty does need to be increased, but the one-on-one fights like with starkiller and malak were really weak.  i thought the gladiator thing would be cool but it ws really lame since there was no depth to the melee fighting. so i guess it kind of is a problem for someone like me, who was hoping that a game centered around a war between two jedi factions would have a decent melee system.

He's not a joke when youre 2 levels! One hit from him means instant death.

Concs and plasma nades dude... concs and plasma nades....

Being held down by the MAN!

Concs and plasma nades dude... concs and plasma nades....

Nah plasma grenades are too expensive. I use concs and then shoot him or frags and a poison grenade, sometimes a cryo grenade just cuz it's pretty. :(

Thanks for the advice though. I did mention I'd beat him you know. And at level 2 it's impossible to beat him WITHOUT using concs.

Doesn't make him easy though. One failed conc grenade which happens quite a bit means he'll recover and shoot you which is pretty much instant death. Even plasma grenades don't do enough damage to kill him very quickly. Especially on hard setting.

And at level 2 it's impossible to beat him WITHOUT using concs.

Not true. I nailed him with two Plasma grenades (reloading when he made his save for either of them) then used an energy shield. He chews through it in only one round of shooting, but that's enough to lob another Plasma grenade. :)

Regardless, the consensus is correct: combat is too easy. One character taken on at an artificially deflated level is the exception to the rule. :)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

One thing that I thought would be cool for XBox(not sure if its possible) is that when you are in "combat mode" you could swing and handle the lightsaber's yourself...

...what i mean is; you use the two joysticks on the XBox control to control the movements of your Jedi's arms. i.e. Left joystick for left arm Right joystick for right arm...so that way you can create your very own combos by criss-cross your sabers or moving them up and down at your leisure... :)

But what about the power attacks, critcal attacks, flurry etc...

Not sure exactly...thats Obsidians job :)

But how would you move around you ask?

Ha! I dont know. Maybe have a targeting system that locks onto your enemy and it makes your character follow him/her/it (basically KotOR 1 had that).

Not true. I nailed him with two Plasma grenades (reloading when he made his save for either of them) then used an energy shield. He chews through it in only one round of shooting, but that's enough to lob another Plasma grenade. :)

Regardless, the consensus is correct: combat is too easy. One character taken on at an artificially deflated level is the exception to the rule. :)

I don't know about that. Three plasma grenades are not usually enough to kill Bendak. Are you on the hardest difficulty setting? Is this a constant thing or did he just make some lousy saving throws?

I don't know about that. Three plasma grenades are not usually enough to kill Bendak. Are you on the hardest difficulty setting? Is this a constant thing or did he just make some lousy saving throws?

Yes, on hard. I mean I keep resetting the energy shield after every round of firing. Since at that time he's momentarily stunned from the flames of the plasma grenade, it's usually no problem....except for that freaking stun shot he fires.

Though make no mistake, I have to reload every time he makes his save. :)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

One suggestion could be to remove all the combat feats and replace them with different combat styles (the combat feats were to overpowered in my oppinion),you could have a style that works well against multiple opponents,one that works well offensively against a single opponent,one that is highly defensive and so on...you could even make a style that is designed to strike at specialiced spots on the opponent(leg,arms,torso and so on).

what are munchkin classes?

when you think about it, all that SW really has to differentiate it is the force and the jedi who use it. I can see why its hard to balance, when jedi are supposed to be such an elite group of fighters; its hard to throw anything that can really compete against them, save for huge monsters or opposing jedi.