Swashbuckler Eder as the main party tank - will it work or not?

As in the title, I've been wondering if Eder is going to be sturdy enough as the main tank in my party or if it's better to leave him as pure fighter. I'm not that far in the game, but with sword+shield he doesn't seem very tanky, maybe it's the gear or skills, but yeah, wondering if I should reroll if it's not. Thoughts?

I personally don't think there's any real reason not to run Edér as a Swashbuckler even as the party's main tank. Fair notice, I'm slightly biased as I really like the concept of Edér as a swashbuckler.

That said you don't really loose out on anything vital, if you're running him as a pure tank I'd argue that Adept Evasion (Rouge) is more valuable than Critical Defense (Fighter) anyway. Also, dependant on your party setup the rogue skills allows Eder to do a bit more than just tank i.e. help with some debuffs, interrupts etc.

streetfighter is seriously one of the best tank options in the game. get a few upgrades on eders armor, equip a medium shield, aktivate the modal and hes pretty much indestructable even on potd. focus on defensive skills early, with a few offensive ones here and there. get persistant distraction from the rogue tree the moment it is available. at around lvl 10~12 you can just go full offense on every skillpoint. the only reason i looked for deflection bonuses later in the game was to get more riposte attacks. Warrior/Conquerer Stance is better then Defender/Guardian defense wise if you dont need the extra engages (theres lots of gear with bonus engages).

• Like 1

Lower levels will favor the single class a since you can get the mid-tier fighter defensive abilities faster, but it will eventually even out because of access to rogue-only defensive abilities (adept evasion, persistent distraction, blinding strike) and all the key fighter abilities will eventually be unlocked.  Generally, you probably want to spend your off-level ability picks in the fighter tree.  The early game will be easy anyways and the first few levels are gained very quickly, so getting those early fighter abilities earlier is not really a big deal.  The early game is a lot less punishing than POE1.

Currently, the game favors multi-class, in my opinion, from a pure min/max standpoint. Particularly martial classes because quantity is better than quality for power source resources, the fact power level has minimal effects, and access to great full strength tier 0 passives. Most of the core abilities are all accessible in the first few power tiers too and higher level ones tend to cost too much power source compared to the benefits they provide.

Edited by Braven

I've ran Eder as a multi with no complaints.  He might be a bit soft at low levels, but the Wall modal is easily enough to carry you for quite a ways.  By mid game he'll have access to Persistent Distraction (everyone he engages is considered Flanked) and you can easily get him enough +Engage to tank most fights dual wielding actual weapons if you feel like it.  Plus Riposte is really strong, if you decide to go with a shield.  At worst you'll need to be a bit pro active with healing, but you'll have a higher damaging output tank than a pure fighter.

You can do anything really. The game is extremely easy, my friend playing on veteran also isn't having trouble..

Ran him as pure fighter with a sabre+medium shield. Multiclassing is too slow for me and I want to get to the higher level stuff faster which is more fun and imo more OP. I already have a Rogue/mage Aloth too.

Eder never dies with all his fighter passives and a couple tanky abilities along with Xoti's Priest buffs, and still does solid damage. I have him with resistance to might, resolve, and other afflictions from his gear too. He just charges in while my Barbarian Leaps in after him every fight and I barely pay them any attention after that, I just watch my team wreck everything(pausing only to stop my Evocation Mage from fireballing the entire team lol, and making Xoti/Aloth do specific stuff)