You don't need an NPC to teach you.

But you can only enchant unique items in PoE2

You can no longer buy a trash item, slap a legendary enchantment on it, some durgan steel, a corrosive lash and smash things with it. (Which makes me sad, cause i usually prefer lower tier armors visually and just enchant them to viability in PoE1 but cant do the same here  :w00t:)

Edited by Juodas Varnas

All (?) unique weapons and armor have a sort of upgrade tree available, but the game completely fails at making this clear by just listing the possible enchantments as bullet points. It's an upgrade tree because there are often mutually exclusive branches, so you choose one enchantment and lose the other one and unlock a new one, but without prior knowledge of this fact.

Quality is always a branch of its own, so you can upgrade every unique item to legendary (if you have the resources) without losing any of the other enchantment slots.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 3

All (?) unique weapons and armor have a sort of upgrade tree available, but the game completely fails at making this clear by just listing the possible enchantments as bullet points. It's an upgrade tree because there are often mutually exclusive branches, so you choose one enchantment and lose the other one and unlock a new one, but without prior knowledge of this fact.

Quality is always a branch of its own, so you can upgrade every unique item to legendary (if you have the resources) without losing any of the other enchantment slots.

Thanks this is very useful 

​If I understand what your saying. The "sleep of the dead' or what ever enchantments create branching follow on enchantments.but lock out the other branches as you choose them. The upgrades to fine, superior, legendary etc  are always available when you have the resources?

Yeah this definitely needs a decent tutorial or a way better interface. Or at the very least one should be able to revert the changes, it is really annoying to not know what you end up with.

I like the idea of a more clearly explained system, but if that doesn't happen, what I do is: quicksave game, enchant an item, and quick load the game if i'm not happy with the results.

• Like 1

Thanks this is very useful 

​If I understand what your saying. The "sleep of the dead' or what ever enchantments create branching follow on enchantments.but lock out the other branches as you choose them. The upgrades to fine, superior, legendary etc  are always available when you have the resources?

Yes, the quality upgrades will always be available. At least I have not found or upgraded an item where this was not the case.

Edited by M4xw0lf