Game assumes monogamy? Not sure if this is a bug, but...

So I'm really enjoying this game, *much* better than the first one which felt fairly by-the-numbers most of the time; can't say enough how much it's improved in my opinion.

The only aspect of the writing that's let me down so far -- and this is a funny nitpick, sure -- is that the game seems to assume my character is strictly monogamous?

Case in point -- when Tekehu joined me and starting flirting with me immediately, my first thought was "OK, sure, it's in character for him, he seems pretty sure of himself, plus I really enjoyed the Shape of Water, who wouldn't want to fool around with the sexy fish man?"

I thought this was all well and good, but a couple hours of game time later, Maia Rua said something to the effect that she'd be interested in me if I wasn't already good and occupied with Tekehu, and I was aghast that there wasn't a dialogue option along the lines of "who in their right minds wouldn't want to fool around with the sexy fish man? I wasn't planning on marrying him or anything. I'm not saying I'm only sleeping with him because he's a sexy fish man -- I may be bisexual, but I'm not racist."

Anyway, something to consider.

• 5 weeks later...

K... but Maia might be portrayed as an autonomous agent with personal convictions and a sense of her surroundings. She might not want to break up someone's relation. That's her action. I don't see this in any way as assuming monogamy, but even if it was, society is overwhelmingly monogamous. Yes people like to sleep around, but nobody want's their partner to do so. Society overwhelming favors treating people how they want to be treated, and while people object to monogamy for the political sound-bite almost nobody actually behaves that way. So even if it was assumed, it would be somewhat justified. It's further perfectly okay to write characters who uphold that standard and aren't simply fantasy husks that are shaped at the player's discretion.

• Like 1

I want to bang my entire crew too and cant, must be a bug

The lack of the one-eyed kraken romance is the biggest short coming in Deadfire.
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

...*much* better than the first one which felt fairly by-the-numbers most of the time...

What does this mean exactly?

(The expression usually means done correctly.)

I may be incorrect, but I usually understand it as meaning something is done in a very predictable/generic/formulaic fashion. I wouldn't agree at all with the remark myself though. Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

About that crew event

when Tuliak left my room the crew was waiting and cheering. Were they placing bets or challenging Tuliak? Will they try to come in greater numbers next time?

Well, at least they must have invited Vela to check the menagerie and she won't know what is going on...

sign.jpg

Its a game, if you feel the need to "sleep" with a NPC you really need to try living in the real world more... your mother's basement isn't the entire world ;)

Your ignorant shaming language isn't needed or wanted.  Go away.

I wouldn't bother rising to it. That's Arnold Judas Rimmer. You know how many times he's made love?

Once. Yvonne McGruder, a single brief liaison with the Deadfire's female boxing champion. March 16th, 7:31pm to 7:43pm.

Twelve minutes. And that includes the time it took to eat the pizza. 

• Like 6

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Like Injurai said, i guess monogamy and heterosexuality are generally the more common things. I did not play the game yet, but it may just be that Maia assumes monogamy. It is not necessarily the game that assumes so. Companions are companions because they have a background: beliefs, identity, and such, after all.

I, myself, always felt that my female character and Eder should get along very well. I was let down in the first game by the fact that i could not make things evolve between  them. How would their relashionship end up to be? Nothing? Friendship? Hurt Eothas believers that would make them closers and end up like siblings? Lovers? I really hope the companion relashionship system will end up being refined enough so that things can turn out in several different ways and feel natural. This natural sense of development is something i look forward too.

I, personally, never wanted relationships in the DA:O way, where polygamy, bisexuality and crap like that is all over the place. Note that i have nothing against it. It's just that i think that when Bioware thought they NEEDED to put emphasis on polygamy and bisexuality, while developping a shallow relationship system, they utterly failed to provide anything that could make feel like the relationships developped in any natural way. Almost everyone in my group, be it male or female companions, wanted to date me if i gave them some crap items i found. I even question the actual intentions of the dog, actually...

For one, i have confidence Obs will not do this kind of crap with Deadfire. I always wanted romance. But not this way.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

K... but Maia might be portrayed as an autonomous agent with personal convictions and a sense of her surroundings. She might not want to break up someone's relation. That's her action. I don't see this in any way as assuming monogamy, but even if it was, society is overwhelmingly monogamous. Yes people like to sleep around, but nobody want's their partner to do so. Society overwhelming favors treating people how they want to be treated, and while people object to monogamy for the political sound-bite almost nobody actually behaves that way. So even if it was assumed, it would be somewhat justified. It's further perfectly okay to write characters who uphold that standard and aren't simply fantasy husks that are shaped at the player's discretion.

Which doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to try. You just might not be successful.

• Like 2

Pillars of Bugothas

Which doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to try. You just might not be successful.

You have got a point there. :)

Yeah, I was more addressing the original complaint on Maia's reaction. The player did try and didn't succeed.

...*much* better than the first one which felt fairly by-the-numbers most of the time...

What does this mean exactly?

(The expression usually means done correctly.)

You are probably thinking of the term 'by the book'

So I'm really enjoying this game, *much* better than the first one which felt fairly by-the-numbers most of the time; can't say enough how much it's improved in my opinion.

The only aspect of the writing that's let me down so far -- and this is a funny nitpick, sure -- is that the game seems to assume my character is strictly monogamous?

Case in point -- when Tekehu joined me and starting flirting with me immediately, my first thought was "OK, sure, it's in character for him, he seems pretty sure of himself, plus I really enjoyed the Shape of Water, who wouldn't want to fool around with the sexy fish man?"

I thought this was all well and good, but a couple hours of game time later, Maia Rua said something to the effect that she'd be interested in me if I wasn't already good and occupied with Tekehu, and I was aghast that there wasn't a dialogue option along the lines of "who in their right minds wouldn't want to fool around with the sexy fish man? I wasn't planning on marrying him or anything. I'm not saying I'm only sleeping with him because he's a sexy fish man -- I may be bisexual, but I'm not racist."

Anyway, something to consider.

I got the same conversation.

To be clear to all the posters opining on monogamy here: monogamy didn't apply.  My Watcher was not "with" Tekehu.  There was one (1) conversation where the Watcher blessed Tekehu's attempts to woo.  No relationship, no date, no making out: just the equivalent of "you can ask me out sometime."  And based on that conversation-- which Maia wasn't even around for-- Maia assumed the Watcher was unavailable.

Setting aside whether it's appropriate to "lock" romance options in general, surely we can agree that this lock at this time was inappropriate?

Edited by Balbanes
  • Like 3