(Spoiler) My absolute biggest gripe with PoE2: Seemingly unfocused narrative

The middle road is tying the story to exploration, directly or indirectly, and the appropriate placement of drama and mystery. Skyrim wanted you to go exploring, but the writing almost never told/allowed for you to. The main questline and all the faction questlines constantly ratcheted up the drama to a higher level than the previous step(The College of Winterhold was a particularly frantic storyline). Writing stuff like "There's no time to waste! You must leave at once or we all doomed!" isn't conducive for the immersive roleplayer to want to stop and help someone find their lost satchel. Morrowind was far better in this regard.

The main thing is that major questlines need moments of downtime for players to veer off into other things. The form this downtime can take are many. For example, if you want the player to go to some town to kill some guy, don't provide them with the information of where in the town the guy lives. Maybe don't even tell them who he is, if you can. Maybe all you know is that there's someone in the town doing something you need to stop. The downtime in this example derives from your lack of knowledge of how to proceed. You're not dawdling by ingratiating yourself into the town.

I'm also a big fan of just straight up telling the player to wait. Time is needed to make preparations, time is needed for events to unfold. Telling the player they might as well go do other things in the meantime can be perfectly fine.

Edited by Icesong
  • Like 2

Yet I'm also a big fan of just straight up telling the player to wait. Time is needed to make preparations, time is needed for events to unfold. Telling the player they might as well go do other things in the meantime can be perfectly fine.—posted above by icesong

This is a worthwhile thought. I terms of narrative, it isn’t even that hard. The player wants to pause to explore. You don’t ha e to create some deep and thorough explanation— eothas= breaking the Ashen maw pillar has sapped my strength. It will be months before I am ready to finish my purpose. Find me at okaisu, bring your armies to witness the end( which is one of the options you can say to eothas at the end, by the way). This gives me, as the player, a reason to feel like I can pause to explore with killing the main plot tension.

The converse of that= you need to funnnel players towards the “crisis” moments.

It should be like an hour glass- open world and exploration, triggered moments ( haisongo and ashen maw) where focus is placed on critical path, then broaden out again to allow for side quests and exploration

• Like 1

OP is absolutely correct.

Pillars 1 starts with a caravan of people blindly groping along the road with indifferent stars (Gods) refusing to reveal what they know. The prologue ends with Glanfathan warriors trying to kill you to please Gods who will never actually respond to them. Maerwald is at war with two different versions of himself who committed terrible crimes against each other because each thought it was what their gods wanted. Edér doesn't know if his brother betrayed his country and if so, why, and never will. Aloth becomes totally lost after losing contact with his superiors in the Leaden Key for no apparent reason. Durance worships a God that no longer speaks to him. Kana is searching for the original, true version of his nation's founding epic, and he can never find it. Sagana has left her family behind on a traditional quest that cannot be comprehended by the person it's meant to serve. Pallegina serves Ducs that refuse to even work in their own best interest much less reward those that help them. Hiravias behaved exactly as a devout Glanfathan should and was rewarded with a bewildering blessing that led to his exile. The Grieving Mother has no identity due to tampered memories but also points out that all memories are being altered all the time, so the certainty in anyone else is an illusion. Zahua is trying to save a people that no longer exist. The Devil of Caroc seeks meaning in taking sadistic revenge on people that wronged her that she can no longer even feel. Maneha found more of her identity and longs for blissful ignorance because it was so far from how she saw herself it became intolerable. Thaos believes in nothing but dedicates his life to deceiving others into believing in his pantheon. Iovara believed in people, and in the Watcher's past life, and was tortured to death for it.

Virtually everything, even sidequests in Pillars 1 like the one from the Magran priestess in Defiance Bay, is about trying to find meaning in a universe that offers no clear one. There is a clear theme and thesis visible from the start.

As far as I can tell, Deadfire has no theme. Just a sandbox with a bunch of toys to play with. An improvement for some no doubt, a lateral move for others. Personally I don't see why the couldn't have had that and a decent main story, but I suppose Deadfire was a pretty cheap game and resources are limited. Hard to deny that the story and companions are a major step back though, unless you just really like Xoti's eyelashes fluttering in dark amusement because [impassioned].

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 5

dunno..

I like to think there is a middle road somewhere . Only , nobody tried finding it . 

Because if you go with 'Game is either X or Y' ..then by that saying , Deadfire is a failur . Since the 1st game that set the setting wasn't about exploring much but story driven . This game has exploring island and combat at sea . 

A middle road would be a bit more story heavy when it come to chasing the main quest , more urgency and drama . 

And keep the exploring and fight at sea . 

That would be a middle road no? 

I personally , games that tell me to go explore...like skyrim , and such...are a bore . I'm a shameless starving person that love a good story . And heck even when I try to get into the exploring..I just get bored fast . 

The problem is more with the mechanic than story tbh. The moment you open the entire world map up for exploration you immediately lose focus of the main quest no matter how hard the game is trying to ram it into your head. You actually do get messages in Deadfire that Eothas is stomping around and killing hundreds if not thousands of innocents, and that something bad is going to happen, but everyone conveniently forgets about it.

The only two options I see to force urgency would be either to open up areas one by one as the story progresses a-la poe1 style, which still gives you only an illusion of urgency and still keeps old areas to explore. It is nearly impossible to implement in Deadfire because of the open ocean.

The second would be to have some damaging mechanic or a timed quest that would affect the player directly - for example the Water chip in Fallout or Spirit eater curse in NWN2:MotB. But we all know how players love these kinds of restrictions.

I personally enjoyed spirit eater a lot because it gave me a sense of drama and made me sympathise with my character. I also wanted to get rid of it as soon as possible. I remember Obsidian was toying with the idea of the watcher going truly insane in POE1, but they dropped it because of the negative feedback about spirit eater. Now if in Deadfire there was a mechanic where you would suffer if Eothas got too far away from you, that would have made the story more urgent. But I do not think we will see such gameplay mechanic ever again.

Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

And how do you know that's what they were trying to do? Maybe they just wanted to create a pirate based game with ocean exploration and ship battles, and having an open map made more sense because of the structure of Deadfire.

I do agree that the main quest is too short btw, with quite a bit of filler in between. 

Edited by Aridea
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

So...I've done a bit of thinking and this is a possible theory I have on what the whole "point" of Deadfire was. This might be an very obvious theory. And I could be totally wrong on this theory, hence why it's just a theory. In essence I'm probably grasping at straws.

Let's assume that, throughout the game, you make decisions in the faction quest lines based off of what you think things ought to be like. Once you get to Eothas at the end, he will ALWAYS end up destroying the Wheel. But the big point of the story isn't whether or not the Wheel gets destroyed.

The big point is what the world does in the wake of such an event. All that uncertainty, of whether Eothas should trust that kith will figure things out on their own, of whether kith will devolve into chaos, comes to a head with the epilogue that describes the outcomes of your various choices. And there is less doubt of what kith will do once the Wheel is destroyed, because the ending slides show exactly what happen. Whether Eothas was right or not, this is the world that you and kith have led to creating when given autonomy.

So the ending slides are relevant not just because consequence for consequence sake, but to be a genuine reflection of your character and their world as compared against the future of kith as envisioned by Eothas and the other gods. And whether or not the player realized it, by the end, they've answered the questions and ideas put forth by Eothas and other characters.

If that's all they wanted the narrative they chose is very inappropriate for it. And I'd have appreciated if they'd been more forthright about just how small the main quest was. they said it would be smaller than Pillars 1 but this is a pretty tiny fraction of Pillars' 1's main quests.

But they did say it was smaller, so its not like its a lie. The game is about the same size as the first one I think, the main quest is shorter but there is more stuff to do inbetween. POE1 is the reverse if you don't count white march.

So what would be your suggestion for the more appropriate narrative in Deadfire? Considering how the game is built...

But they did say it was smaller, so its not like its a lie. The game is about the same size as the first one I think, the main quest is shorter but there is more stuff to do inbetween. POE1 is the reverse if you don't count white march.

So what would be your suggestion for the more appropriate narrative in Deadfire? Considering how the game is built...

They didn't say it was this much smaller. They acted like it was only somewhat smaller.

Deadfire shouldn't have involved the Watcher or Eothas at all and just been a game about the factions since that seems to be what they wanted to make. Instead both sides of the game just diminish the other.

A couple of points, for what it's worth.

Firstly I am really enjoying the game and will end up playing it for a while.

Positives:

Love the multi classes, love the choose your own adventure style of many quests. The world map and sailing is awesome but unpolished and needs some work. Likewise ship combat has huge potential but needs tweaks.

Relationship with companions also is a step up, but needs some refining.

Mechanics wise, bit of a mixed bag, some improvements from POE and some issues.

Not so good:

I was worried about the story before release, had a feeling that with all the changes (mechanics, multi class, sailing, open world, continuing the watcher story from level one) the narrative was going to suffer. And that is the case. The story is not great, not what I'd expect from Obs to be honest.

Obs can be great, but sometimes they make some strange decisions. A mid game expansion like White March being a perfect example.

While the expansion was great on it's own, it didn't ft in with the story. And it brought some really unnecessary problems like balancing with it. Would have been a fantastic bit of work had it come after the story, like Motb.

Likewise continuing the watchers story as is,has led to some rather large bandaids placed on the writing... not convinced about a giant statue turning into a god. For me, the wheel and the gods are one of the biggest selling points of the world, so destroying the wheel is a bit off a turn off. But the biggest issue is lack of motivation for everyone, from the watcher, to Eder, to Eothas(what the heck is Eder doing in the defiant at the beginning, how did he get there?)

So overall the game is great, just not as good as the first, but more fun if that makes sense... Also pretty much what I expected, but what I didn't want. Obs are one of the best studios when it comes to writing, so a part of me is slightly disappointed. Having said all that they are in the process of building a very interesting world with a potentially great rpg system, from classes to role playing. So I guess time will tell.

I just hope the dlc and sequel (if there is one) is more focused.

Disclaimer.

None of the above is meant to reflect the opinion of the gaming community at large....

Just my feelings which are mixed about the game.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I love the game, but I do have to say that the storyline makes no sense at all. Eothas would be striding across the archipelago in a couple of days, max weeks and he's in a hurry, whereas the Watcher et al spend months, even years allegedly following him, as if he'd wait. According to the game, my party has been there for well over a year now. OFC it's a pretty standard thing in rpg's that you are off doing side quests instead of pursuing your goal, but there are ways to make it make sense, like that the antagonist is off somewhere unknown preparing as are you. In Deadfire, you know where Eothas is, he even tells you, and he basically hangs around1 waiting for you to catch up. It would have made more sense to have some minion doing his bidding, or if he'd got to the Deadfire via the adra statue and then body hopped.

-edited to add, having a new character might arguably have been better too, as it would explain Aloth acting like he has zero connection to you and some people's complaints about Eder being different.

I haven't finished the game yet, but it seems to me there are a lot of things in the Deadfire that need explaining, like all the vampires/undead etc, which could have been part of a main quest where say the main character is investigating that and then stumbles across Eothas fanatics trying to break the wheel cos he told them to.

Edited by Slotharingia

nvAeseu.png

Deadfire is far from the only game to do it, but the disconnect between the story heavily encouraging you to rush after Eothas, and the gameplay heavily encouraging you to ignore the story and go exploring is particularly egregious here. It really felt to me that Deadfire is two very different games - one story driven game about chasing down a god, and one open world game about being a pirate - stuck together without any real thought as to how to properly integrate them. That's not to say I haven't been enjoying it, on the contrary, I had a lot of fun on my first playthrough and intend to do several more runs, but having such an obvious disconnect between what the story is telling me and what the game is telling me really hurts the immersion. At the very least, there should be some consequences to ignoring the main plot in order to go explore desert islands - my choices in the game should matter and yet a decision of this level, which, given what is going on according to the story, probably outweighs any of those the game actually tracks, is ignored.

Part of the problem is that you always have a really good lead on where to go with the main quest. If you had to actually go looking around for information in order to track down Eothas, it might make more sense to go exploring in the hope of finding clues, but as it is, you really should be chasing after him ASAP.

Edited by PhroX
  • Like 4

The middle road is tying the story to exploration, directly or indirectly, and the appropriate placement of drama and mystery. Skyrim wanted you to go exploring, but the writing almost never told/allowed for you to. The main questline and all the faction questlines constantly ratcheted up the drama to a higher level than the previous step(The College of Winterhold was a particularly frantic storyline). Writing stuff like "There's no time to waste! You must leave at once or we all doomed!" isn't conducive for the immersive roleplayer to want to stop and help someone find their lost satchel. Morrowind was far better in this regard.

The main thing is that major questlines need moments of downtime for players to veer off into other things. The form this downtime can take are many. For example, if you want the player to go to some town to kill some guy, don't provide them with the information of where in the town the guy lives. Maybe don't even tell them who he is, if you can. Maybe all you know is that there's someone in the town doing something you need to stop. The downtime in this example derives from your lack of knowledge of how to proceed. You're not dawdling by ingratiating yourself into the town.

I'm also a big fan of just straight up telling the player to wait. Time is needed to make preparations, time is needed for events to unfold. Telling the player they might as well go do other things in the meantime can be perfectly fine.

well yeah...

I mean Urgency doesn't always have to be 'Go! Quick! chase after EOTHA!! GO GO GO! forget all the fedex quest!!!! HURRRRRRRRY!'' 

But could easely be , some good reasons why we can't just run off and yet feel the 'OMG! he is gonna kill alot of peoples while I'm standing here trying to find a way to follow him'' . 

In the game though , you can pretty much follow him right away . Oh yeah he is heading for...shoo! go that way ! 

The doom and Gloom , I didn't mean let me hurry after him . But something..I dunno..make him wake up a volcano while he is stomping around . 

Yet when you sail on island , everyone acting like there is no danger at all . Even the faction are right on their schedule of daily bickering and trying to take each others out . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

So overall the game is great, just not as good as the first, but more fun if that makes sense... Also pretty much what I expected, but what I didn't want. Obs are one of the best studios when it comes to writing,

That just says it all doesn't it. It's like if J. K. Rowling was one of the best fiction authors in existence. I mean it's not bad but there has to be more that can be done than this.

• Like 1

I think the entire problem comes from three factors. 1. You're playing as the Watcher, 2. You're playing before Eothas breaks the wheel, and 3. A lack of drive in the main story.

Playing as the Watcher

Feels like the cons of this far outweighs the benefits. First the pros of playing as the Watcher. Obviously you're continuing this characters story, which means plenty of links back to the first game, from companions to side characters you can meet again and continue their story. Far as I can tell that is really the only benefit.. But I don't even think that is of much note. The links back to the first game are all very superficial. First, characters: Companions have little to do in the second game, nothing really NEW to say. Old companions feel like old companions. Its nice to see them, but they do not grow and change in the same meaningful way compared to their interactions in Pillars.

Choices made in Pillars also amount to one line of dialogue for the most part. There are a few more major ones such as Vela, but she isn't even a companion or side character.. And a whole other bottle I could rant about. You adopt a child in the first game only to have a SINGLE line of dialogue with them in the second. You also have that child on a ship drinking substances while you throw her into pitch naval battles and violent storms. Parent of the year. Okay but moving on from that, the bigger effect choices can have are characters existing or not. Vela, Wirtan etc. All these amount to conversations at best, a letter in your cabin (For Aufra) at worst. I don't believe they add enough substance to outweigh how strange it felt to be back as the Watcher.

In Pillars, the story of the Watcher is the story of the game itself. You could not pick up and replace the Watcher with someone else. You're linked directly with Thaos by your soul, Edar couldn't be the Watcher, for example. You were the main character. In Deadfire your status as the Watcher means very little. You are, as Berath puts it the best choice. But not the only choice. In fact if you decline the ending slide simply says she picked a new champion. The fact you are the Watcher means very little, and all it does it limit the games story massively.

Playing before the Wheels broken / A Lack of Drive

First, the lack of drive. Eothas, a living god and giant living adra statue is stomping across Deadfire, each step crushing the land below his feet, each stride causing rogue waves that devastate coastal villages and ports. Or.. Not? There are a few ports and villages that have been effected, but for all the game giving the choice to claim Eothas is killing thousands, you don't really see much evidence of that. Just in terms of numbers of "footprinted" areas compared to places untouched; Pirates and monsters are a far greater threat to the Deadfire.

The other issue the caused a lack of motivation for me to care for the main story, is how its presented. You are given no hints as to how you can stop Eothas, no magical keycard you need to go collect to bring him down. The drive to follow him seems to be focused completely on finding out what he is doing, and 'getting your soul back'. I've got issues with both. Firstly once you find out what he is planning, there isn't really anything done about it. You just tell the Gods, and.. Shrug your shoulders? The only option you have is to go chin wag with him. The only plan. You are told very clearly you can't fight him. He is a God. For me it felt like you were simply waiting for Eothas to do what he came to Deadfire to do, then the story would get started. I've seen a lot of people mention they feel like Deadfire plays more like a Prologue than anything.

So then there is your soul. Why do you need it back? Your character seems perfectly fine. You walk around, you interact, fight, sail, you remember who everyone is. There seems to be pretty much no big deal with the fact he has your soul. For all the Watchers dialogue choices demanding their soul back, I was just thinking.. Why? You seem to be perfectly okay without it. When you do get your soul back, it just reinforces this. Nothing changes it. You get a storyboard saying you feel better? Or something? Maybe I missed a line of dialogue but this just felt incredibly pointless.

Now if perhaps your character woke up after Eothas had broken the machine, and if that stopped souls from leaving the physical world right away.. Everything would suddenly fit into place. The lack of drive would be fine. "Watcher, the wheels busted can you go check it out" leads itself a lot more to the side content the devs clearly want you to focus on, rather than "There is a giant running around crushing everyone, and its very tragic (trust me) also he has your soul which I guess is a problem, not that you seem at all broken in any way".

How I would fix things maybe I don't know.

Drop the Watcher. Perhaps bring them back for Pillars 3, but they simply don't feel like they mesh with Deadfire. Removing the Watcher would leave you able to be open to roleplay. The biggest strength the start of Pillars had was the clean slate. You could be anyone, and the game reenforced this in the 'tutorial' section with conversation, asking you why you came to the Dyrwood, who you were before, and if you came to settle or you were simply traveling. Endless choice there as to what your character was. In Deadfire, you are the Watcher. And the problem in my eyes is everyones Watcher by the end of Pillars is their own character, and forcing narrative on a character someone has spent 30+ hours building is kinda.. Crappy?

My Watcher would not have been down with Deadfire at all. I'm sure plenty of others are the same. You spend all that time in the Dyrwood only to be moved on, abandoning it. The first thing my Watcher would have done is told Edar to perhaps maybe not drag my corpse onto a ship and sail to who knows where, maybe also not with a child on board I don't know. My point is you're missing the open roleplay choices the first game had, and what you get from being the Watcher character I don't think justifies what you miss out on.

Playing as the Watcher also goes against how the game seemingly wants you to play. Its clear there is a giant focus on side content, on the factions. You're meant to care more about that than the main quest, obvious given the main quest itself is shockingly short. Perhaps only a few hours long. Yet as you're playing the Watcher.. Well it makes the most sense that you'd continue doing your Godly business, and tracking down the giant **** who stomped your keep and killed a bunch of your kitchen staff. But hey you could also.. Not do that? And be a pirate? Or something? Sure, perhaps your Watcher is sick of it all and wants to simply get away from it all. That works, but in the narrative Bearth tasks you with a job, and ignoring it should lead to them killing you. It doesn't. She won't do anything if you ignore the main quest. But in my mind its always a nagging issue that she said "Go do these things" and you can just not bother without any issues what so ever.

So if you didn't play as the Watcher, everything would start to fit. You're not chasing down your soul. You're not looking for revenge for your keep. Your reasons for hunting the God could be your own. Perhaps you're an island native who is a bit upset he stomped your canoe. Maybe you work for one of the Companies, and have been tasked with seeing what the hell all that God business is. You could be a pirate, who thinks bringing down a God could be pretty damn profitable. Who knows. Sure you can be all these things in the game now, but you're hamstrung by being the Watcher.

.. Wow this post is way too long.

• Like 7

So then there is your soul. Why do you need it back? Your character seems perfectly fine. You walk around, you interact, fight, sail, you remember who everyone is.

It only gets mentioned a couple of times, but apparently you can't stray too far away from Eothas because you start feeling worse. Your crew had to chase him while you were chatting with Berath in the prologue just to keep ypu alive.

Also, when Eothas gives you back a piece of your soul at Hasongo, it is stated that you get some memories back with it. So yeah... I guess you do have memory loss but it's conveyed poorly in the game.

• Like 2

I think the Witcher set a good precedent. I'd mention this alone for the Witcher-Watcher fun, but jokes aside, the Witcher series managed a world, where story and free exploration went hand in hand. Not equally good in every one of the 3 games, but all of them did better than PoE2 imho. Let's take Witcher 3, you look to find Ciri, a girl that's like a daugther to you, while doing that, you have local quarrels to handle(the baron e.g.), bigger things to decide, like who do you support for King or Queen(or whatever the title was) of Skellige, decide on a woman, play certain factions against each other, all the while your search goes on and becomes a fight against the White hunt in the end. The protagonists in the free exploration stuff are often helpful in pursuing your lead on the main quest. And what's more important, you are eager to resolve their matters quickly, cause you wanna return to your search for Ciri.

In PoE2 for me at least it was more of a I explore all the islands and do minor local stuff, and it's fun, but they dont care at all for the giant who stole part of my my soul and who intends to destroy the wheel, they only care about what happens on their respective little island or max 1-2 other small islands where they got a slave trade or an adra pillar or a tribe they wanna kill or whatever and even worse, I don't care about the giant, the intermissions with the gods annoyed me, I had fun exploring the islands, the main quest sucked.

Edited by Miro
  • Like 3

So then there is your soul. Why do you need it back? Your character seems perfectly fine. You walk around, you interact, fight, sail, you remember who everyone is.

It only gets mentioned a couple of times, but apparently you can't stray too far away from Eothas because you start feeling worse. Your crew had to chase him while you were chatting with Berath in the prologue just to keep ypu alive.

Also, when Eothas gives you back a piece of your soul at Hasongo, it is stated that you get some memories back with it. So yeah... I guess you do have memory loss but it's conveyed poorly in the game.

Yeah you're technically a soul twin with Eothas after that but I guess they got so many complaints about how they handled the Watcher gradually going insane in Pillars 1 that they decided to not even try to depict any negative repercussions to that. With the way the physics of souls were set up in Pillars 1, the Watcher should experience a wide range of negative symptoms that intensify the further they get from Eothas, from severe depression to constant pain.

Yeah you're technically a soul twin with Eothas after that but I guess they got so many complaints about how they handled the Watcher gradually going insane in Pillars 1 that they decided to not even try to depict any negative repercussions to that. With the way the physics of souls were set up in Pillars 1, the Watcher should experience a wide range of negative symptoms that intensify the further they get from Eothas, from severe depression to constant pain.

really? why?

If you get sick..you should feel it . Not just have a -2 to Dex . 

That's what games are about . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

No games are about telling the player they're special and strong and oh so sexy.

Too bad ! everyone wanna be strong and special and too sexy for their armors  :lol:

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Nah I almost didn't finish MOTB because of that spirit eater crap. Last thing I'd want in any other game is that.

Or at least have that toggable even if it makes no sense.

I once played a game called ADOM where you slowly got corrupted and started to disintegrate if you didn't progress fast enough. I never finished it xD

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Nah I almost didn't finish MOTB because of that spirit eater crap. Last thing I'd want in any other game is that.

Or at least have that toggable even if it makes no sense.

I once played a game called ADOM where you slowly got corrupted and started to disintegrate if you didn't progress fast enough. I never finished it xD

Lol yeah time based missions tend to get me to skip all content even if I have an excess of time. And I usually get too frustrated to enjoy myself. I don't mind small timed missions but the whole thing being timed? No thank you.

• Like 2