Can Herald handle healing? (And other smaller Herald Q's)

Hey, all. I'm putting a build together for my first playthrough, but I've come to the realization that I'm not all that interested in the "support" party members. Pallegina was my least-favorite PoE1 companion, Xoti's accent rubs me the wrong way, and Tekehu... well, the wereshark is pretty rad, but I think I prefer Serafen in his slot. Because I'm pretty much set on Eder and Aloth sailing the high seas with me, and the fuzzy little Witch amuses me. (EDIT: Oh, and Maia gets the final slot.)

So, that leads me to my question: Herald seems extremely rad, but is it able to shoulder the burden of healing a party like this? Ancient Memory doesn't come around until Level 7, and I've got to wait until Level 10 for Exalted Endurance. Even with Lay on Hands from Darcozzi (I know, I know, but I like them from a roleplay perspective) from the beginning, and various other buffs and CC from Pally/Chanter I'm curious about how the build will hold up.

Oh, also, for people who've made a Herald, what's the more fun and effective build for a situation like this: a front-line flanker-type Skald (playing it almost like a rogue, jumping in to paralyze and tear things up after Eder grabs engagement), or a pistol-wielding Troubadour (focusing more on buffs and CC other than paralyze)? I'll likely be dual-wielding either way, to take advantage of FoD (and crit-fishing, in the case of Skald).

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Darkpockets

Pallegina was my main tank, a Herald too. With the things you named - Exalted Endurance, Greater Regeneration Ring, Lay on Hands and Her courage thick as steel/Ancient Memory. 

I think at around level 13-15 my party stopped needing any heals other than the occasional off heal that could've also been solved with a potion. If you use potions on your tank (Which I didn't cause I'm stingy) you could probably do well at a lower level than that as well. 

So a Herald can definitely handle tanking+healing.

If you only want to use the Herald as a secondary character, I'd probably go melee to keep the tank healed and alive. You don't necessarily need to pick a subclass for your chanter either, as chanter in itself becomes increasingly powerful. 

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98968-class-build-the-healing-wall/  

Here's what I made to handle Herald healing.  Note I do use Xoti for an occasional consecrated ground but most of my healing comes from Herald.  You'll find that most of the early game even on PoTD is a breeze even without much healing, and once you get to level 10 you'll be great.  The starting island is soooo much easier than the early areas of the first game on PotD, and if you did all the quests you can almost get to level 7 (ancient memory) before anything challenging comes your way.

I will note that I basically panic when my team gets hit by arcane dampener, that's how big of a difference the healing auras make, lol.  

As for your other question, you could easily adjust it to be an offtank or backline character, but I haven't tried that yet so I don't know which is the best or most enjoyable.  I will note that dual wielding will make you able to be much more reactive when tossing out lay on hands to save people so keep that in mind.

Edited by Climhazzard

Thanks for the input, you two, it's very helpful. I'll probably end up modifying the "Healing Wall" build to be a flanking Skald with the same auras and chants, but who focuses on Killers Froze Stiff (obviously) and dual-wielding when he's not dashing around to Lay on Hands.

On that note, what are some other good Offensive Invocations for a multiclass Skald? Thrice She Was Wronged and The Thunder Rolled seem to have such low damage... Does that scale up at all later?