Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Free DLC, The Rum Runner's Pack, Coming Next Week!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

gkathellar

gkathellar

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1455 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am not only talking about dialogues and interactions where my character is not recognized as a woman. I'm talking about the whole game, where I'm considered a man.

Do you play the game in english or with a localization? I have heard that some of the translations have problems. I play a female character in english and havent noticed weird things, but im a man so its possible im just blind to those because of it.

Je joue en français. Mais tous les sons sont en anglais, donc cela ne change rien.
Je ne parle pas de mauvaise traduction ou je ne sais quoi.

Je parle d'interactions sociales, comme quelqu'un qui me tape le dos, comme si j'étais sa compagne de beuverie. Je suis une femme et non... juste, non.

Il me semble qu'Edèr (entre autres) fait souvent ça. Et je déteste.

Comme il dit lui-même au début de l'aventure : il n'est qu'un "pauvre fermier qui suit (aveuglément) la Gardienne et prend les coups à sa place".

Ce n'est pas pour que lui m'en colle. Et puis, c'est déplacé. 

I play in French. But all the audio are in English, so it does not matter.
I'm not just talking about a bad translation or whatever here.
I'm talking about social interactions like someone who hits my back, as if I were his drinking buddy. I am a woman and it's a no-no.
Edèr often does that. I hate it. 

As he says at the beginning of the adventure: he is a "poor" farmer who follows (blindly) the Watcher and takes the blows in her place.

And then he slaps me (the back, the arm...) ? No, it's out of place.

I think you may be projecting certain cultural assumptions about gender norms onto a game that does not share those assumptions. I've got to say, as a man, that I'm totally comfortable in that kind of low-key roughhousing and physical camaraderie with my female friends - and that's not at all unusual where I'm from (or, incidentally, in California, where Obsidian is located). Obviously you see things differently, which is fine, but you shouldn't expect gender reactivity to social norms that don't exist in either the setting the story is taking place in or the culture the writers mostly come from.

• Cutlass Jack, Yonjuro, Koth and 5 others like this

Crucis

Crucis

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1370 posts

I am not only talking about dialogues and interactions where my character is not recognized as a woman. I'm talking about the whole game, where I'm considered a man.

Do you play the game in english or with a localization? I have heard that some of the translations have problems. I play a female character in english and havent noticed weird things, but im a man so its possible im just blind to those because of it.

Je joue en français. Mais tous les sons sont en anglais, donc cela ne change rien.

Je parle d'interactions sociales, comme quelqu'un qui me tape le dos, comme si j'étais sa compagne de beuverie. Je suis une femme et non... juste, non.

Comme il dit lui-même au début de l'aventure : il n'est qu'un "pauvre fermier qui suit (aveuglément) la Gardienne et prend les coups à sa place".

I'm talking about social interactions like someone who hits my back, as if I were his drinking buddy. I am a woman and it's a no-no.

As he says at the beginning of the adventure: he is a "poor" farmer who follows (blindly) the Watcher and takes the blows in her place.

I think you may be projecting certain cultural assumptions about gender norms onto a game that does not share those assumptions. I've got to say, as a man, that I'm totally comfortable in that kind of low-key roughhousing and physical camaraderie with my female friends - and that's not at all unusual where I'm from (or, incidentally, in California, where Obsidian is located). Obviously you see things differently, which is fine, but you shouldn't expect gender reactivity to social norms that don't exist in either the setting the story is taking place in or the culture the writers mostly come from.

^This.  100000% This.  :thumbsup:

Yonjuro

Yonjuro

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, and female NPCs do that too. The head of the RDC faction claps you on the shoulder with her prosthetic hand which several of your companions find amusing. That's just how this world works.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3556 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Remember the good old times when nobody gave a crap about gender in video games?

• AndreaColombo, Wompoo, tinysalamander and 1 other like this

Yonjuro

Yonjuro

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Remember the good old times when nobody gave a crap about gender in video games?

Yes, and back in those days, in order for somebody to be offended, you actually had to say something offensive. It was so much work thinking up offensive things all the time! Luckily, it's much easier now.

• AndreaColombo and Juodas Varnas like this

Purudaya

Purudaya

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Well, the trade-off was that female representation in those games was mostly garbage, though. Respectful discourse is good - maybe the discussion helped the player to find the content less immersion-breaking and increased her ability to enjoy the game. If not, it caused me to think about a perspective that I'm unfamiliar with (even if I didn't agree). It's good exercise, although more than a little off-topic.

Also, I don't think she was "offended" by the content so much as she found it unrealistic. Again, from her perspective.

Rum Runners DLC!

Edited by Purudaya, Yesterday, 10:20 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Erik Dirk, Sheikkah