Free DLC, The Rum Runner's Pack, Coming Next Week!

AHEM....Concelhaut is daddy. Hit me with that hammer.  :dancing: I will not apologize for this post.

When's that Alcohol Themed DLC out again?

Edited by Big-Ben

Yes! We have no bananas.

I am not only talking about dialogues and interactions where my character is not recognized as a woman. I'm talking about the whole game, where I'm considered a man.

Do you play the game in english or with a localization? I have heard that some of the translations have problems. I play a female character in english and havent noticed weird things, but im a man so its possible im just blind to those because of it.

Je joue en français. Mais tous les sons sont en anglais, donc cela ne change rien.

Je ne parle pas de mauvaise traduction ou je ne sais quoi.

Je parle d'interactions sociales, comme quelqu'un qui me tape le dos, comme si j'étais sa compagne de beuverie. Je suis une femme et non... juste, non.

Il me semble qu'Edèr (entre autres) fait souvent ça. Et je déteste.

Comme il dit lui-même au début de l'aventure : il n'est qu'un "pauvre fermier qui suit (aveuglément) la Gardienne et prend les coups à sa place".

Ce n'est pas pour que lui m'en colle. Et puis, c'est déplacé. 

I play in French. But all the audio are in English, so it does not matter.

I'm not just talking about a bad translation or whatever here.

I'm talking about social interactions like someone who hits my back, as if I were his drinking buddy. I am a woman and it's a no-no.

Edèr often does that. I hate it. 

As he says at the beginning of the adventure: he is a "poor" farmer who follows (blindly) the Watcher and takes the blows in her place.

And then he slaps me (the back, the arm...) ? No, it's out of place.

Maybe it's a personal/cultural thing? I know several women who are perfectly comfortable with some friendly roughhousing/backslapping/whatever. 

Also, women in Eora appear to enjoy greater equity with men than women in real life - everything in the PoE universe is less gendered, with a few exceptions for political roles. Part of that is probably for ease of narrative design (it would be costly to write separate minor behaviors for every character on the basis of gender), but I prefer to just chalk it up to "hey, this is just how things are in this world." The real-world cultural mores that make you feel like Eder's behavior is out of place might just not be present in Eora.

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 4

Maybe it's a personal/cultural thing? I know several women who are perfectly comfortable with some friendly roughhousing/backslapping/whatever. 

Also, women in Eora appear to enjoy greater equity with men than women in real life - everything in the PoE universe is less gendered, with a few exceptions for political roles. Part of that is probably for ease of narrative design (it would be costly to write separate minor behaviors for every character on the basis of gender), but I prefer to just chalk it up to "hey, this is just how things are in this world." The real-world cultural mores that make you feel like Eder's behavior is out of place might just not be present in Eora.

I get the sense that gender distinctions just matter a lot less in Eora, possibly because reincarnation is a proven fact. If you know, for a fact, that everyone you talk to has been male, female, squirrel, dragon, whatever, in past lives, all those distinctions probably matter less. On a long enough timeframe, everyone in Eora is not only transgender but trans-species.

• Like 7

I am not only talking about dialogues and interactions where my character is not recognized as a woman. I'm talking about the whole game, where I'm considered a man.

Do you play the game in english or with a localization? I have heard that some of the translations have problems. I play a female character in english and havent noticed weird things, but im a man so its possible im just blind to those because of it.

Je joue en français. Mais tous les sons sont en anglais, donc cela ne change rien.

Je parle d'interactions sociales, comme quelqu'un qui me tape le dos, comme si j'étais sa compagne de beuverie. Je suis une femme et non... juste, non.

Comme il dit lui-même au début de l'aventure : il n'est qu'un "pauvre fermier qui suit (aveuglément) la Gardienne et prend les coups à sa place".

I'm talking about social interactions like someone who hits my back, as if I were his drinking buddy. I am a woman and it's a no-no.

As he says at the beginning of the adventure: he is a "poor" farmer who follows (blindly) the Watcher and takes the blows in her place.

I think you may be projecting certain cultural assumptions about gender norms onto a game that does not share those assumptions. I've got to say, as a man, that I'm totally comfortable in that kind of low-key roughhousing and physical camaraderie with my female friends - and that's not at all unusual where I'm from (or, incidentally, in California, where Obsidian is located). Obviously you see things differently, which is fine, but you shouldn't expect gender reactivity to social norms that don't exist in either the setting the story is taking place in or the culture the writers mostly come from.

• Like 13

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I think you may be projecting certain cultural assumptions about gender norms onto a game that does not share those assumptions. I've got to say, as a man, that I'm totally comfortable in that kind of low-key roughhousing and physical camaraderie with my female friends - and that's not at all unusual where I'm from (or, incidentally, in California, where Obsidian is located). Obviously you see things differently, which is fine, but you shouldn't expect gender reactivity to social norms that don't exist in either the setting the story is taking place in or the culture the writers mostly come from.

^This.  100000% This.  :thumbsup:

Yes, and female NPCs do that too. The head of the RDC faction claps you on the shoulder with her prosthetic hand which several of your companions find amusing. That's just how this world works.

Remember the good old times when nobody gave a crap about gender in video games?

Yes, and back in those days, in order for somebody to be offended, you actually had to say something offensive. It was so much work thinking up offensive things all the time! Luckily, it's much easier now.

• Like 8

Remember the good old times when nobody gave a crap about gender in video games?

Well, the trade-off was that female representation in those games was mostly garbage, though. Respectful discourse is good - maybe the discussion helped the player to find the content less immersion-breaking and increased her ability to enjoy the game. If not, it caused me to think about a perspective that I'm unfamiliar with (even if I didn't agree). It's good exercise, although more than a little off-topic.

Also, I don't think she was "offended" by the content so much as she found it unrealistic. Again, from her perspective.

Rum Runners DLC!

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 8

Also, I don't think she was "offended" by the content so much as she found it unrealistic. Again, from her perspective.

I was really making a general comment about recreational offense taking that seems to be all the rage these days, not really aimed at the poster in question.

• Like 6

Definitely don't miss those days, only reason no one complained is that the gaming companies presumed everyone was a white male heterosexual...

And if you weren't you just kept your mouth shut and pretended everything was hunky dory.

• Like 7

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

So im from Germany and live in Switzerland and my girlfriend and 2 other woman i know have zero Problems with Eders action with the female watcher.   I think this is just a culture problem than maybe. 

• Like 4

Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/gluurak

My Pillars of Eternity Let's Play playlist: http://bit.ly/2tlcVR5

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/GlurakLP

My Suikoden German Translation Project: http://www.snes-projects.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3131

So im from Germany and live in Switzerland and my girlfriend and 2 other woman i know have zero Problems with Eders action with the female watcher. I think this is just a culture problem than maybe.

I'm a woman and I never even noticed it. Considering how many people the Watcher kills and whatnot, I think whether Eder treats them like a male buddy with the odd backslap is the least of one's problems on the ladylike front xD Having said that, I always play male chars, but if I didn't, I still wouldn't expect Eder to tiptoe around me.

nvAeseu.png

Is "this week" over on friday or on sunday?

Honestly, there is likely no reason for hype anyway. It's 6 new items you rarely use (if at all), and a new sidekick who very likely won't talk a single word once hired, so...

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Honestly, there is likely no reason for hype anyway. It's 6 new items you rarely use (if at all), and a new sidekick who very likely won't talk a single word once hired, so...

Don't be a fun sponge. It's free DLC.

• Like 4

well, I hope the dlc will come along with the next pack of bugfix, so I can actually start playing seriously 

My first playthrough will be as a pirate so Mirke is a mandatory character in the party, even if she never speaks. I'll assume she is one of those people that stay quiet when drunk believing that nobody will notice it, even though it's blatantly obvious.

• Like 4

sign.jpg

Yeah you can't really be a femme pirate princess in this game, if that's your thing.

At least we have that "dancer outfit" that looks like a cute minidress with cleavage and buttcheeks peeking out! ;)

I play a female character in English and wasn't bothered by the gendering, because it fit my expectations of being a pirate captain.

Edited by CENIC

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.