Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fampyr Dominating Gaze Bug

Combat Mechanics Fampyr Dominated Dominating Gaze

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Answermancer

Answermancer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Answermancer
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah I mean, if I do this fight again before it's fixed, I'm just gonna have everyone eat a Banquet.

I know that now, but it's still almost certainly a bug and should be fixed.

I posted my save from when I first hit this earlier, and at least when I was trying it, my rogue literally spent the entire fight charmed. I would break the charm with Pallegina and a second later the rogue would be charmed again.

It's silly. It either needs an internal cooldown or some sort of counterplay besides "make everyone immune to Intellect afflictions".

topologista

topologista

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think the bug is fixed in the 1.2 beta patch. I turned on story mode, started a fight with fampyrs on Splintered Reef, and went to make some tea. When I came back the fight was over and the log didn't show any absurd permanent domination shenanigans. Was also underleveled and my Fanatic Watcher had 3 int, 9 resolve, and a total of 57 will. She got dominated a few times but before the 1.2 patch she was basically constantly dominated.

• JFutral likes this

Aranduin

Aranduin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I use Chill Fog in Fampyr and they cast fampyr gaze with the blind status. Or a blind character is enchated for a fampyr sometimes. Annoying bug.

nightkin

nightkin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

I just had the toughest POTD-fight ever in Splintered reef with those 4 damn fampyrs who kept gazing my party to death.

• "Defiant"-Headpiece (the one you get at start) -> doesnt help against gaze-attacks, cause the gaze targets INT instead of PER. Weird, but OK.
  • "potion of focused mind" on all direct-attack-chars-> didnt help much, just helped with keeping friendlyfire in control a bit, since my party got "charmed" instead of "dominated"
  • "They Shielded Their Eyes 'Gainst the Fampyr's Gaze" - see above. Got me properly mad I have to admit, since the name suggested something else.
  •  "Suppress Affliction" used by priest + party (rings) -> helped only for as long until the next dot-tick or hit occured, then allegiance was shifted again
  • "Liberating Exhortation" used by MC -> Didnt seem different for me than "Suppress Affliction", so I saved the resources for DPS. Error on my part?
  • "Dismissal" - No effect on the fampyr at all, no kill, no damage. Dont even get a hit-indicator. My party is all LVL 20, all other targets explode on the spot -> New Bug after 1.2B?

Winning this was somehow a relief when it worked finally but before it was rather infuriating... :)

Answermancer

Answermancer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I just had the toughest POTD-fight ever in Splintered reef with those 4 damn fampyrs who kept gazing my party to death.

• "Defiant"-Headpiece (the one you get at start) -> doesnt help against gaze-attacks, cause the gaze targets INT instead of PER. Weird, but OK.
  • "potion of focused mind" on all direct-attack-chars-> didnt help much, just helped with keeping friendlyfire in control a bit, since my party got "charmed" instead of "dominated"
  • "They Shielded Their Eyes 'Gainst the Fampyr's Gaze" - see above. Got me properly mad I have to admit, since the name suggested something else.
  •  "Suppress Affliction" used by priest + party (rings) -> helped only for as long until the next dot-tick or hit occured, then allegiance was shifted again
  • "Liberating Exhortation" used by MC -> Didnt seem different for me than "Suppress Affliction", so I saved the resources for DPS. Error on my part?
  • "Dismissal" - No effect on the fampyr at all, no kill, no damage. Dont even get a hit-indicator. My party is all LVL 20, all other targets explode on the spot -> New Bug after 1.2B?
Winning this was somehow a relief when it worked finally but before it was rather infuriating... :)

Until this is fixed, the only real counterplay is to trivialize them by eating Captain's Banquet which gives total immunity to Intellect afflictions.

JFutral

JFutral

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

As far as PotD toughest battles compared to the level I was able to achieve prior to the encounter, this still isn't the hardest to me. The thugs in Gorecci St, the dig site, and the shrine outside of Crookspur were all ones I had to either return to later or find someway to avoid. In terms of just grinding the enemy down Nemnok was the toughest. I never tried to fight the dragons. I might this playthrough, There was one other I can't remember, but they were self healing faster than I could do damage. THAT's frustrating. The Lich was harder for me than the fampyrs. Oh, and the Woedica Temple where Oswald was kidnapped. I jumped on that way too early in my career because I wanted Konstentine's room. Tip: don't trigger that encounter and decide to return after resting. Oswald bites it then.

Luminous lobster and Capt Banquet didn't work 100% for me, though. I also had to take "Reduce negative affects" precautions so my time spent charmed was at least minimized.

Joe

nightkin

nightkin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Full-quote of my previous post

As far as PotD toughest battles compared to the level I was able to achieve prior to the encounter, this still isn't the hardest to me. The thugs in Gorecci St, the dig site, and the shrine outside of Crookspur were all ones I had to either return to later or find someway to avoid. In terms of just grinding the enemy down Nemnok was the toughest. I never tried to fight the dragons. I might this playthrough, There was one other I can't remember, but they were self healing faster than I could do damage. THAT's frustrating. The Lich was harder for me than the fampyrs. Oh, and the Woedica Temple where Oswald was kidnapped. I jumped on that way too early in my career because I wanted Konstentine's room. Tip: don't trigger that encounter and decide to return after resting. Oswald bites it then.

Luminous lobster and Capt Banquet didn't work 100% for me, though. I also had to take "Reduce negative affects" precautions so my time spent charmed was at least minimized.

Joe

Yes, strength through enemy packs can be a hassle in the beginning, I agree. Gorreci Street is a good example. For these I got myself a chanter to help with CCs.

Also tricking enemies helps a lot. In Oathbinders Sanctum (Oswald) I used Cpt. Stinkfeathers (Ishiza) to first trigger the dialogue sequence while rest of party remained in hide, then triggered combat and lured all enemies into the room on the opposite side of the hall. By the time they had caught up to him my party had already ambushed the last who passed by, cutting their numbers so tanking+killing them when their focus shifted to the rest of my party was way easier.

Lich is nasty, but it's only this 1 character. I actually found the fampyrs to be a harder fight.

@ Answermancer: good point, thx! At the time of writing this I had not fully realized how Resistance and Immunity work. Hence my madness about "They shielded their eyes 'gainst the fampyrs gaze".

Edited by nightkin, 06 July 2018 - 07:34 AM.

• JFutral likes this

Answermancer

Answermancer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

@ Answermancer: good point, thx! At the time of writing this I had not fully realized how Resistance and Immunity work. Hence my madness about "They shielded their eyes 'gainst the fampyrs gaze".

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that "They Shielded Their Eyes 'Gainst the Fampyr's Gaze" does very little to protect you from a Fampyr's gaze, lol.

It reduces dominates to charms, which is okay, but considering that they can just chain charm you constantly (because of this bug) it's not much of an improvement. I suppose with the patch change that makes Charm break on damage from your "new team" it might be more useful, but probably not since the AI probably won't attack a character that it charmed.

• JFutral likes this

deisum

deisum

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

From what I can tell, DOTs trigger the bug. I can consistently trigger it with Wounding Shot or a rogue with Deep Wounds.

Interestingly, if my cipher is hit with either of those it triggers Psychic Backlash every tick as well. I can almost guarantee these two bugs are related.

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is still a thing. I absolutely can't bring Maia to Fampyr encounters atm, or she will be permanently dominated and wreck my party, especially since there are now no more easy options to evade charming afflictions altogether. Resistance against intellect afflictions (dominated -> charmed) doesn't really help.

Scythee

Scythee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Same, i cant do this fight, despite everyone have immunities to all affictions.

Once the fight start, half of my team is dominated, logs showing lobster resisted domination effect, but they still dominated.

i0Aammg.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Combat Mechanics, Fampyr, Dominated, Dominating Gaze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users