Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fampyr Dominating Gaze Bug

Combat Mechanics Fampyr Dominated Dominating Gaze

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Randomthom

Randomthom

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Steam:Randomthom
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Damn, I thought I was doing something wrong when fighting fampyrs when this was happening to me. There is actually a much nastier fampyr fight than the cave on the island to the north and I've basically given up on ever winning it while this bug persists.

As far as I can tell, literally any targeted ability (but not AoE) will trigger the dominate gaze and it seems to work extremely reliably, perhaps 100% of the time but I can't be sure. Auto attacks don't seem to have the same problem so perhaps I can come back at higher level and just steamroll this fight with auto-attacks...

Casper

Casper

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

i have to admit, after a few of those fampyr fights i was still fairly mad, even in victory. so a few of those islands have particularly uncivilized names in reference to them, names that i'd likely be banned for posting... for instance i chuckle every time i pass the "gods ****ed ****ing **** island". i'll let you use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

Edited by Casper, 27 May 2018 - 01:30 PM.

• Drum_Warrior likes this

FuzzyPuffin

FuzzyPuffin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't think this issue was addressed in 1.1. My party is level 19 and I still get destroyed in the Cave of Threshing. Everything else in the game has been easy.

Drum_Warrior

Drum_Warrior

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Steam:Drum_Warrior
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Damn, I thought I was doing something wrong when fighting fampyrs when this was happening to me. There is actually a much nastier fampyr fight than the cave on the island to the north and I've basically given up on ever winning it while this bug persists.

As far as I can tell, literally any targeted ability (but not AoE) will trigger the dominate gaze and it seems to work extremely reliably, perhaps 100% of the time but I can't be sure. Auto attacks don't seem to have the same problem so perhaps I can come back at higher level and just steamroll this fight with auto-attacks...

Even worse is the Fampyr fight on the island at the south east edge of the map! 

It's strange - I've only had it happen when using Accurate Wounding Shot but others seem to have the same trouble as you, or even have it happen just from auto attacks. It doesn't seem to be consistent between everyone's games.

I don't think this issue was addressed in 1.1. My party is level 19 and I still get destroyed in the Cave of Threshing. Everything else in the game has been easy.

Hopefully it will be in the next patch 

namelesfear

namelesfear

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

I've noticed all of this in my game as well. i just wanted to ask if anyone's characters instead of just going down would just die even without having any injures or bring dominated. Eder doesn't seem to get dominated.

Insolentius

Insolentius

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I reported a similar problem. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that they retaliate with 'Dominating Gaze' when interrupted.

image.png

Insolentius

Insolentius

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I had trouble with that location on PotD until I decided to craft a 'Meteor Shower' scroll and lure the Fampyrs into its AoE.

Kampel

Kampel

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts

Same problem here.

Answermancer

Answermancer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Answermancer
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah so I hit this too when I finally decided to go check out that island.

My main character has literally been charmed the entire fight, every 2 seconds I have Pallegina hit her to break the charm and immediately after she gets charmed again. It's extremely stupid, honestly, which is why I assumed it was a bug and looked for this thread.

I didn't see a reason why it would only happen to my main character, but based on responses here it might be because I keep having her use Rogue abilities to damage and interrupt (she's a Swashbuckler, every active rogue ability interrupts). If every interrupt on these guys dominates, not only is that pretty stupid mechanically, but it also means that Rogues are a liability since all their active abilities interrupt.

Edit:
I'm not even sure if it's the interrupt, but whatever it is it's extremely stupid. I just tried replaying the fight to try to figure out what's happening and on the very first auto-attack out of stealth my rogue was dominated. Right now it just seems like a massive "**** you" to my rogue in particular since none of my other characters have this happen.

Edit2:
Hah, yeah, so I break the charm above, go to hit another Fampyr (who is currently Terrified and can't do anything) hit it with Penetrating Strike (so no interrupt component) and immediately get charmed. Don't even get the Full Attack off. Super stupid and broken, I'm not gonna bother with this fight on other runs until this is fixed I think. I don't mind being charmed once in a while, it's what Fampyrs do, but making my Rogue completely useless every time she attacks is not fun.

If you guys want a save file let me know, it seems like on this character every single melee attack by my Rogue gets her charmed. Or maybe it's just proximity, I have no idea, I just broke it again and as soon as I targeted the (still Terrified) Fampyr she got dominated again, it's actually kind of funny at this point.

Final Edit:
I went ahead and uploaded a save right before fighting them, why not. To repro just try fighting them and watch the Rogue constantly get dominated (well, charmed as long as Pallegina's chant is on).
https://www.dropbox....).savegame?dl=0

Edited by Answermancer, 10 June 2018 - 02:50 PM.

-dib-

-dib-

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I used Gouging Strike, which is supposed to disable the use of gaze attacks, against a Fampyr, from stealth. The attack hit and the additional effect from Gouging Strike critted, but it still used Dominating Gaze on me.

Edited by -dib-, 20 June 2018 - 01:48 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Combat Mechanics, Fampyr, Dominated, Dominating Gaze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users